See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 February 2017 via mobile

Nice big hostel but it was way too quiet therefore making it seem empty. Very basic kitchen and bathrooms.
The location however was great for walking into the city or staying around northbridge for a night out.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Hannah D
OldSwanBarracks, Duty Manager at The Old Swan Barracks, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2017

Thank you for your feedback we do have a great location to explore Perth city.
Our common area is a large area with different activities in there incl. pool & ping pong but I can understand how sometimes when its a quiet night in there it may seem empty....

Reviewed 18 January 2017

I lived here for a month Jan 16' - Feb 16'. First place I came in Australia and I loved it. Its definitely a bog standard hostel. The staff were awesome and I think the common area was great to meet new people. The kitchen downstairs could definitely be modernised a lot and fix the hobs that were broken when I was there but the rooms were clean and there were lockers to store your valuables in. The atmosphere was great and I made some of my good friends who I'm still in touch with today there. I always stay here when I am back in the city as I feel so comfortable even the staff know you. Always recommend staying here to anyone coming to Perth.

Date of stay: February 2016
1  Thank Hcowenhutton
OldSwanBarracks, Duty Manager at The Old Swan Barracks, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback its appreciated.
We are really working on our cleanliness & it's always great to here that our staff are doing an awesome job. Our common area / bar is a great space to make new friends.
I will pass on the kitchen feedback to maintenance so we can work at this issue.
Look forward to you visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 December 2016 via mobile

I was in between cities when I discovered the Old Swan Barracks hostel on Francis street, near the centre of Perth.

The backpackers is huge with a gigantic main hall, bar, cinema sized TV screens and comfortable couches.

The laundry is one of the best I've seen in a backpackers with large washing machines and cost effective dryers.

The outdoor areas are comfortable with plenty of spaces to eat or smoke.

The staff are kind and friendly. The best is done to accommodate guests and single rooms are granted if the hostel is quiet.

Northbridge is home to some of the most cost effective hostels in Perth. In my opinion Swan Barracks is one of the best.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Mary G
OldSwanBarracks, Duty Manager at The Old Swan Barracks, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2016

Thank you for your review Mary we really appreciate the positive feedback and love hearing that you enjoyed your stay with us. We too agree that we have a great common area and location within Perth.
Hopefully we will see you back again :)

Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

We booked 2 nights there, what a great time spent. A very clean very large youth hostel with a very nice relaxing room as well as a bar.
Everything is very clean, staff friendly and helpful. Location is great as well,close to bars and restaurant.
So far obe of the best youth hostel we've been to!

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank barista01

Thank you so much for your awesome feedback its lovely to hear that we are one of the best hostels you have stayed at and you had such a great time!! We have been focusing on our cleanliness so it is great to see its been noticed.
If you are back in Perth again we look forward to seeing you :)

Reviewed 31 October 2016

I was travelling with my girlfriend at that time and booked a private room for 2 in advance. Had a TV, even Internet cause the Telstra free WiFi reached our room. Decent room with shared bathroom. After a week we came back to the same hostel and took a dorm room which was horrible! Oohh.. the stink from all the labourers who were living in there and didn´t wash their clothes as often as they should after working outside in this sort of climate. And after taking a shower they dried their towels on the headboards of the beds.. needless to say my girlfriend refused to even enter the room so we changed back to the private room which was nice!

So yeah, if you stear clear from the dorm rooms your golden! Staff was nice, basically free parking and so close to downtown!

Room tip: Always get the private room or better
Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
OldSwanBarracks, Duty Manager at The Old Swan Barracks, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2016

Thank you for your review and we appreciate the feedback. We do have a great location & parking at $10 a night is a bargain. I am sorry that on your second stay though your experience with a share dorm wasn't the best. We do try our best to encourage everyone to keep their belongs tidy with daily room checks & full cleans on a regular basis.
If your ever in Perth again hope to see you :)