“Please don't stay here!”

The Old Swan Barracks
Ranked #39 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 31 May 2012

For your own sake! The staff are utterly horrible. Terrible attitude. I booked for 7 nights at a cost of $29 per night and left after 2 - and the manager was incredibly condescending and rude, and refused to refund me any amount at all, costing me quite a bit of money. The rooms are cramped and small. The actual building and setting is pleasant enough, but it is full of noisy drunk Irish people and long-termers - on my first night I got screamed at by a guy for daring to turn on the light at 9pm to search for my toothbrush. Terrible experience.

Room Tip: Choose a different hostel (One World, Britannia, Ocean Beach, YHA, Underground...)
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DCB85

Reviewed 24 May 2012

ive been here in this hostel for two nights now and its awful!!! the bathrooms are filthy the bedrooms are even worse and the staff ha where to start!! german girl behind the counter awful people skills rude unfriendly and unhelpfull. the 'lockers' are easily broken into the luggage area is worse you'd want to make sure you've a lock on your bag before putting it in there!! there's a bar in the hostel cheap enough but watch the lightfingered off duty STAFF nicking your pints when your back is turned!! atmosphere what atmosphere there isn't any disgraceful hostel unfortunatly were here till the end of the week because they dont do refunds but ill be running from the place and i wont look back when we leave!!!

Room Tip: do not stay here the rooms are crawling!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

I, unfortunately read the google reviews not the TA ones before i booked this hostel so had to endure what i can only describe as the longest week of my life!! I really do not where to start but here goes;
1. The reception staff are incompetant and rude. They are only interested in flirting with the lads staying here. It is not 24hr reception as they close it numerous times a day. We had to wait 15mins to rent a dvd while the rude blonde girl behind the desk counted the till. The other staff member wandered around with a pint ignoring the obvious queue that were waiting.
2. My boyfriend and I rented a double room for the week. Where do i begin?! Firstly i cant believe the rates that are charged. We paid almost 600 between us for what can only be described as a mouldy, draughty orange box. There was a sign on the window saying it leaks in the rain (as we could see from the big patches of mould on the ceiling) but as it doesnt rain often in perth it should be ok. Just dont leave valuables on that side of the room! The sheet didnt fit the bed no matter how many times i tried to tuck it in, therefore we spent a lot of time looking at the dirty stained cigarette burned mattress. The duvet also didnt fit the bed. There is a fridge wardrobe and desk but are crammed in next to bed so impossible to use. The tv doesnt work so isnt worth mentioning.
3. The walls are paper thin. We could hear the conversations and even the people snoring in the next room. There is a lot of traffic noise and our room was next to a carpark where every night over the weekend drunken idiots from the hostel set off the car alarm on some cars which continue for at least 45 mins.
4. Although im aware the people living here also have a responsibilty to behave in a respectful way to other guests the management do nothing to enforce this. Friday night our entire corridor had to listen to a drunken girl on skype for half an hour at 4 in the morning. I can easily say that i did not have a full nights sleep in our entire stay.
5. The bathrooms are too small for the number of people that they are catering for. They are dirty and 2 of the cubicles are next to wide open windows for everyone to see!!! The showers are not great but standard for a hostel. There are no mirrors in the rooms so the sinks are usually taken up with girls doing their makeup.
6. I didnt use the kitchen all week. It just wasnt worth the effort.

Both my boyfriend and I have travelled extensively throughout australia and both have never come across such a bad management system. I just dont understand how this place is still in business. The staff need a new attitude and the place needs to be completely stripped and refurbished. An utter disappointment of a hostel and a disgrace to whoever owns it.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I got bitten by bugs while staying in this hostel. Each of my forearms had 30-40 tiny red spots, which soon got terribly large and infection.

As the situation was getting serious, I asked the hostel manager to cover my medical expenses. He replied: "No. Maybe you can try another hostel."

In other words, welcome to my hostel and feel free to get bitten. If things are getting serious, please leave, and I am not responsible that...

Well, bugs is one thing, but their attitude is something else!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2012

What were we thinking? We booked the $88/night executive suite. HAHAHAA. What a joke, it has a tv, with no reception, a fan that struggles to spin, a fridge that barely works. Walls that remind me of the deborchery that has occured in the past. Just a horrible room. The shared bathrooms are filthy with no exhaust extraction. The hallways littered with work boats that woft an oddor that is very unpleasant. management seem to spent more time devising ways of fining and charging guests rather than keeping the place clean and in order.

We decided within an hour that we would not stay another night. Its a buget hostel for workers and crack heads. If this is you, welcome to paradise. If wish I had read TA reviews first. Be warned!

Room Tip: keep walking!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple