“Perfection”

Ranked #42 of 1,663 Restaurants in Perth
Neighbourhood: Perth CBD
Neighbourhood: Perth CBD
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Extraordinary food - freshest of oysters, delicately spiced beef tartare, char grilled octopus, veal cotoletta and the lightest gnocchi on the planet. Service helpful and well informed. Good wine/cocktail list. Calming aesthetic

Date of visit: August 2022
Write a reviewReviews (273)

Reviewed 23 May 2022

An absolute delight of tastes and textures.
My husband and I dined here for a spontaneous lunch last week.
Poor signage made it hard to find, but once in the door warmly welcomed by attentive staff.
The menu not extensive, but the dishes we chose were amazingly well presented and delicious.
Kingfish, pickled kohlrabi, and chilli oil.
Zucchini Parmesan custard, agridolce with almonds, so good.
Baby capsicums, stracciatella, pistachio verde and popping pomegranate, yum
A filet mignon, perfectly cooked presented with confit potato,
Shimeji mushrooms and green chilli, was my husbands favourite, saying he’d come back any day for a steak that well cooked.
He chose the Caramelised white chocolate parfait with cherries and macadamia for desserts and was very pleased he did.
Really was a beautiful lunch, thank you

Date of visit: May 2022
Reviewed 14 May 2022 via mobile

I’ve been a regular customer and a fan of the restaurant for years.
Yesterday and the previous visit were not up to the usual standard. The food is consistently excellent as it was yesterday. The problem is the service, or lack thereof.

Our table was the only one in the restaurant for the 1st hour. Despite that we had to get up or shout to get any attention as the 2 staff were oblivious to waving at them. The Manager stood with his back to the room.

All the wine glasses had lip marks and had not been polished. When I asked for a clean glass I was given one with even more lipstick, until I pointed it out, again. Even the water glass had pink lipstick on it.

There were no forks for oysters or serving spoons for the shared dishes. When we requested serving spoons we were given 1 so had to get up once again and ask for another. After that as perhaps a bit of a joke we were given 6 more.

I had requested a quiet table, for distancing as well as for conversation. It was, when we were the only people in the restaurant, but were quickly surrounded with everyone packed in the same area despite the restaurant being virtually empty.

We ended up serving our own wine as the staff were so inattentive. When we ordered a different wine they attempted to pour into the previous wine glass until told not to.

Water was not refilled either. We also put away spare menus, wiped the table between courses and even piled up empty plates as a bit of a hint.

For $350 I would have expected something better than almost self-service. Nice food, so over all a good time was had by all despite the terrible service.

I understand the staffing difficulties courtesy of the pandemic so standards have dropped, however other restaurants seem to manage to attract helpful energetic staff. Filthy glasses are inexcusable; either fix the machine or remind the staff glasses need to be polished. It is a wine bar after all.

Yes, I’ll try again but won’t be recommending to anybody else until service improves.

Date of visit: May 2022
Reviewed 7 April 2022

Love Shadow for a romantic dinner. Great food, fabulous service and extensive wine list. Always a great choice

Date of visit: April 2022
Reviewed 17 February 2022

Had a wonderful meal topped off by my favourite Pear Tarte Tartin. Staff very discreet and friendly efficient. Only one whinge. We went to celebrate Valentine's Day, like most of the many couples there no doubt, but there was no acknowledgement whatsoever of the annual event which must have brought the restaurant lots of extra bookings on a Monday evening. No roses, heart shaped choccies or table decorations to be seen! A disappointment as the rest of the town was full of hearts! I don't think i have ever been to a restaurant on Valentine's that has made no effort at all to acknowledge it. Will definitely visit again though as it was still a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Date of visit: February 2022