“Great food, great value, great restaurant.”

Balthazar Bar Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 3,506 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Perth CBD
Description: Bar scene, special occasion dining, entertaining clients
Reviewed 30 November 2023

This was our last restaurant on a gastronomic tour of Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, and what a great way to end. My wife says that Balthazar's is "very cool", with great food, lovely service, a very well-priced wine list, and it feels like fantastic value. We went on a Thursday evening, and it is a very romantic restaurant, so there were lots of couples, but also families and some business groups. My wife had two starters, the new on the menu tomato tartlet, followed by duck liver parfait. Both were perfect. I had the steak tartare followed by the duck, with orange and incredible fennel. This was accompanied by an excellent, and very well-priced, French Côtes du Rhône. After the ludicrously over-priced wine lists of Sydney, this was amazing value at AUD 70. Service was delightful, from a lovely Italian lady from Naples.
The atmosphere is buzzing, and filled with passionate staff. It reminded me of some great New York restaurants, back in the 80s.
Very highly recommended.

Date of visit: November 2023

Reviewed 24 November 2023 via mobile

Great food, the duck is spectacular, accessible wine list, half bottles give great options for moderate drinkers, brilliant staff who clearly have pride in their work.

Date of visit: November 2023
1  Thank 94shaund
Reviewed 31 October 2023

Just had worse dinner on my 1 year anniversary. Got in sat us down ordered cocktails. They didn’t have what my wife wanted so they went away for ages again. They came back with my cocktail but they didn’t bring hers. I finished my drink to point of waiting I asked the waitress what’s the hold up. So they brought my wife her drink and said “on the house”.
They talked up the entree which mine were oysters which were very average. Entrees were average and the bread wasn’t good and just over salted butter. But I wasn’t mad that’s cool.
Then came my steak. It was so tough and rubbery I couldn’t even cut with with knife the table was moving. So even my wife said that was bad I nicely showed them they took it back. They send another guy saying sorry we bring you some potatoes. I firmly said please don’t I won’t eat them and I hate wasting food. The steak came just a tad better and not blue/raw like last one. And they brought some cold over salted potatoes and literally just some mixed leafs you get from woolies with French dressing on top. So not only wasting food I didn’t want extra but it’s just crap anyway. Then we go leave I ask for bill.
The waitress who we had who was nice I specifically said to her it’s not her fault and I’m not having shots her just rest is bad.
I look at bill that so called free drink was on it. Now cause the way I look I didn’t wanna make a fuss so I just go yep cool I’ll pay it. Then the “manager” takes the cash walks away then comes back goes oh we actually don’t take cash. What ever I pay it.
I’m upset so I my wife said call them and tell them how you feel I did . The “manager” picked up and didn’t apologise, made a tonne of excuses and when I said thing about the cash she goes oh yeah that was me. And I called her out I’m like SOME MANAGER YOU ARE. NOW I KNOW YOU WERE LYING WHEN YOU PICKED UP THE PHONE AND YOU SAID YOU WERE MANAGER STRAIGHT AWAY BECAUSE A MANAGER WOULD KNOW THE PAYMENT SYSTEM OF THE RESTAURANT AND I SAID KEEP THE MONEY CAUSE YOU NEED TRAINING CORSES. That place is all name and front but horrible service for over priced poorly made food.

Date of visit: October 2023
3  Thank Adam V
Reviewed 16 October 2023

Set menu in the private dining area. The atmosphere was great and the food was absolutely divine. The staff were super attentive and made excellent wine suggestions and kept the glasses full. Wonderful experience.

Date of visit: October 2023
Reviewed 28 September 2023 via mobile

Fantastic business dinner in a Private Room.We had a 3 course set menu.Loved the ceviche as starters and the duck for main course.Extensive wine list at quasi reasonable prices.Service was very efficient.One suggestion-the lighting needs to be turned up a smidge but maybe that’s my age

Date of visit: September 2023