“Amazing little hole in the wall”
Review of Red Opium

Red Opium
Ranked #42 of 1,422 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I are having a staycation in Perth and we're wanting to try out some not so well known restaurants and cafes whilst staying in the city. We found this little hole in the wall on hay street and decided to give it a go.

Now when you walk in it may seem like you have just walked in to a dark and worrying place but it is far from that. The service team were quick to seat us and were lovely in explaining to us exactly how their menu worked. Being a tapas style restaurant it helped as we weren't exactly sure on whether or not to go with a set menu or choose from the a la carte side of the menu.

After careful perusing of the menu we decided to steer away from the set menus of $92 (to share between 2) or $65 (for 1) and go with the a la carte menu. We were so happy we chose this way as it gave us a greater selection from the menu compared to the previous selected sets.

We chose the red opium shooters (oyster shooters with chilli and herb sauce), arancini balls (cheese filled balls with a green curry sauce), satay chicken tortillas (satay chicken in a tortilla with vegetables, chilli and peanuts), charcoal squid (squid cooked over charcoals giving it a rich flavour) and charcoal cooked chicken skewers (chicken skewers cooked over charcoals with nuts and chilli).

These dishes came out extremely quickly after we ordered and with a big smile on the face of the waitress. We were very pleased with all the meals.

If I can make one suggestion to everyone, if you like spices please disregard, every dish we had came with chilli. They were big enough that you could pick them out but it was still spicy. I didn't have a problem as I loved it but just in case make sure you have some water on stand by.

In conclusion I would like to say we had a great experience at the Red Opium restaurant. Service was amazing and food was exquisite too. I would highly recommend anyone, whether they be from Perth or just visiting to try this hole in the wall out.

Mark

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Wife and i had set menu. Great selection of asian style tapas.Great array of flavours.
Could not eat last dish as we were that full.
underground setting very New York.
Price more than reasonable.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

The food here is unreal, spicy lamb cutlets and red curry are like nothing else. I've tried everything on the menu here over the past year and everything was just perfect. My favourite restaurant in Perth and best of all, it's BYO.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Its an interesting little place, situated below ground across from the Mint.
There are windows to catch what view there is.
There are some bench seats with cushions, and regular tables scattered about.Its not crowded, but may get noisy when busy.
We found the food interesting and good value.
Its a BYO place which suited us .
Staff are friendly and the food was delivered promptly.
There is a good range of dishes, something for everyone.
We were there on a Tuesday, and it was quiet but patrons were obviously enjoying themselves.
There is reasonable street parking available.
We will return soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

We thought we would try this restaurant due to the good reviews . The restaurant was really funky however the rest of the dining experience was pretty disappointing . We ordered the set tapas I swapped the skewers for the squid. Every single dish was brought out together we were on a tiny table for 2 it seemed pretty evident we couldn't fit another plate on the table but it kept coming until I asked them to stop. I love tapas style food but not all of it at once. The spring roll and samosa were ok but there was no wow factor . The squid was fantastic . Sushi roll was open so came out on little squares of see weed I enjoyed them it would have been nice with a little wasabi the hubby wasn't keen. The chicken wings were to oily for me to eat but hubby liked the flavor. The last dish was a bowl of massaman curry very rich and heavy for a last dish on a tapas menu. There was a lot of potato and 2 very small pieces of meat the curry was extremely sweet . The roti that accompanied the curry was also very sweet but nice and flaky. Overall it wasn't a great food experience and I wouldn't rush back

1  Thank NVus2