“Great hotel in a central location - just don't get a street side room !”
Review of Mantra on Murray

Mantra on Murray
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Mantra on Murray is an excellent hotel very close to Perth's malls and railway station. The rooms are spacious, fresh and clean, and I found the staff very friendly. I only ate in the restaurant for breakfast - another plus, with a good selection for either the cooked breakfast, or standard continental.

I only had a few drinks at the bar on one night - again friendly and prompt bar staff, and a great vibe.

The only downside - we had a room that faced directly onto Murray Street. Diagonally opposite the hotel is a British Pub and the music / crowd noise kept me awake on a couple of nights until around 1 AM when it closed. A trip to the chemist for earplugs solved this, and a bit more internet research on my part would have probably highlighted this and prompted me to ask for a room at the rear.

All up - a convenient location, well priced, and close walking distance to transport and shopping (did I mention the Margaret River Chocolate Company shop is only a few doors up...)

I'd stay here again - with a rear room !

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing onto Murray Street unless you are a night owl !!!
1  Thank Davoanth

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We found the Mantra restaurant and bar a delightful place to eat and drink and would not hestitate in recommending this venue to anyone. We had the Salmon which was cooked to perfection. The accompanying salad and vegetables were nicely presented. The staff were all friendly and efficient and we are looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This hotel is centrally located in the heart of the city and is an ideal location for tourists, it is a “real” five minute walk to the underground train station, bus station and a leisurely ten minute stroll to the bell tower where you can catch the ferry to take you to South Perth, where there are some fantastic restaurants that overlook the city, and the zoo is within walking distance from the South Perth Jetty.

We stayed for a romantic weekend getaway, but found the room was more suited to families or tourists on longer stays. The room we had, had complete cooking facilities, but no views. As a Perth local, I wouldn’t personally stay at this hotel again, but I wouldn’t hesitate on recommending this hotel to tourists as it seems to tick all the boxes; it’s close to transport, travel agents, money exchange, has its own laundry facilities at the hotel, nearby food courts, restaurant, pubs and supermarkets.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ozzie T
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I was looking forward to my first experience staying at a Mantra property (I usually stay with Medina or Holiday Inn for work) - unfortunately my high expectations came crashing down the instant I arrived at this hotel. I was on a leisure trip with my 6 month old infant and relative. Upon arrival, we discovered that there is no easy access (ramp or staff member available to assist) to the hotel; with a stroller one had the option of carrying baby and suitcases up the stairs or using the dirty, cramped disabled lift which is directly in front of the designated smoking area.

The hotel reception staff were incredibly rude and lacked genuine warmth or personality upon interacting with them at check in (comparing them to Holiday Inn or Medina staff - not in the same league). I was particularly disappointed with the female staff member informing me that the car parking tickets they usually provide (at a fee of $24 a day) to the adjacent Wilson Carp park were not available, and that I would 'just have to make other arrangements'. Apparently this issue had been occurring for days in the lead up to our arrival, yet no effort was made by the hotel to try and contact me to advise me of the issue.

This was particularly frustrating as I had called the hotel directly three weeks prior to arrival to confirm the availability of the car park - and upon confirmation of the rate, hired a car from the airport upon arrival. Had I known the car parking rate was not available (and would end up paying astronomical fees at check out) I would have used taxis and the local trains considering the station is so close to the hotel.

As I work in the travel industry I understand things like this happen that are out of the control of the staff; what I would have appreciated was the staff showing an inch of empathy and customer service orientation and perhaps be armed with some tools to help guests..... a list / map of the nearest car parks and their fees would have been a start (I had to ask the ladies for this). We ended up finding an outdoor car park charging $15 per night in Murray street 200m down the road (using our own detective skills) - although not ideal as it was hardly secure.

The attitude of the employees (simply not caring, nor showing ANY effort to follow up on the matter or assist) was the most disappointing aspect of the experience. The young girl who I was dealing with clearly had no desire to ensure the guests had a positive experience at the establishment, and the duty manager lurking in the background had absolutely zero interpersonal effectiveness either. I was certainly not the only one being treated with such little regard; I stood back and watched other couples receive exactly the same poor customer service.

My anger didn't subside when entering the hotel room; after requesting a twin bedding configuration I opened the door to discover a King bed (not ideal when sharing with another family member). Again - understand that all requests cannot be satisfied...however would have appreciated the staff member informing me of this when checking in (as the request had been in my comments of the booking) - another example of the staff member's poor attention to detail and level of customer care.

The hotel itself is in need of a good clean; the floor we stayed on had stained, disgusting carpet immediately outside the lifts on our floor......it was a constant reminder of the poor choice I made of booking the Mantra each time we returned to the room.

In the end it was not the inconvenience of the car parking, nor the dated and dirty appearance of the hotel that was the biggest issue - it was the poor customer service I received from the staff that I could not believe......and prompted me to write this review.

I certainly will not be recommending this hotel to any of my colleagues or friends - nor will I be choosing to stay at a Mantra group hotel for my leisure trips again. Extremely disappointing experience.

Room Tip: If forced to stay here and travelling with children - request a room not facing Murray Street. We we...
5  Thank Katie N
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I had a 10 day stay in my studio room while in Perth for a wedding and a holiday. Managed to get a good deal through the Mantra Club CU soon program, but I believe that Perth in general is very expensive for accommodation and wining and dining. The location is prime with the Murray Street Mall ( and Hay Street Mall which is parallel) on the next block as is the train station. Train travel was so easy. I bought the day rider and could catch trains and buses all day for $9.30. The reception staff were a bit hit and miss with their service. For every friendly greeting there were 3 of disinterest. My room was large with a comfy bed and had a microwave and hotplate and basic crockery which is great for an extended stay when you don't want or can't afford to go out each night. The airconditioner worked, but my it was SO noisy as it clicked in and out all night. Murray Street is busy with a good British Pub directly across the road and plenty of nightclubs, so expect a bit of yahooing in the early hours. The restaurant food for dinner ( ate there once) was delicious, but the service was abysmal. Breakfast was good especially the eggs benedict! I am confused about the previous comment about laundry and internet. As per most Australian motels you have to pay for internet so that was expected. Laundry facilities are available on 2 floors for the reasonable price of a few dollars. I didn't have a car, but I believe parking is a real pain and really expensive. So glad I don't live in a big city normally. All in all I was satisfied with my stay and would recommend it to others on the location alone.