“Good Location- Nice renovated rooms”

Riverview on Mount Street
Ranked #9 of 49 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Good Location- Nice renovated rooms”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We decided to go on a last minute holiday to perth and were left with only a few accomodation options (as it was the night before that we booked). Kings hotel perth and aarons hotel perth were our only other options and from the reviews and the pictures they looked very substandard (and were charging alot more than riverview on mount). Riverview on mount was in a really good location- literally we walked to the Marina (where all the tours leave from) in the city centre in under 20mins (and that was during a 42 degree heat wave- so am assuming it would be quicker if not that hot!) Is also very close to walk from the Blue CAT bus (the city runs 3 free buses to explore the city which also comes in handy.

Parking at the hotel is limited maybe only 20 spots so first in gets a spot, but there is lots of street parking which outside the hours of 8am to 6pm & all day sunday is unlimited parking. During work hours as above it's only 1 hour limited for free but you cannot stay longer.

The hotel is right next to Kings Park botanic Gardens which is really lovely to walk through.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, but please be aware that they only service the rooms once during a 7 night stay. Therefore if you run out of anything or need new towels you would need to ask at reception which is only open 7am -7pm. Not a big drama but good to be aware of.

We booked the deluxe long stay option which is the same as the deluxe room, but with no water views (for stays of 4 nights or more). We were upgraded to the waterview apartment as the hotel was quite empty on the days that we stayed.

The hotel from the outside looked quite old at the back, but the rooms were very nicely renovated- see photos.

As some other reviewers have said the price is a bit expensive, but you cannot really compare Perth accomodation to Sydney for example- in Sydney for $200 you get a 5 star hotel, but this is not the case in Perth and all hotels are over priced maybe due to the location and mining industries they can charge these amounts. We stayed in the deluxe long stay for 5 nights and total came to $708 so about $140 per night which I found to be very well priced for your location and accomodation type.

Just a warning about their really cheap rooms- our travel agent said to us that the hotel doesn't reccomend people stay in their really cheap rooms unless they have stayed there before and know what they are getting as I believe they are really small and really only suitable for a stay overnight to continue on your way the next day. Just a tip we found out.

Overall we were very happy with this hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vicki2685

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Brunswick Heads, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The Riverview on Mount is in a great location (short stroll to city, and close to scenic parks) however be warned!! Relative to other Australian capital city accommodation the cost per night is grossly inflated. I paid $200 for one night and based on my experience in other capital cities it is simply not worth this price. (If I had paid $150 then I would have felt like it was a good deal.) While the presentation of the room was reasonably good with an understated funky/modern feel, small 'touches' were just non-existent. The small 'touches' that i am referring to are very basic things such as: coffee plunger, coffee, adequate milk supply for two guests and believe it or not, a face washer.

The room was very hot and stuffy, the bathroom was worn and old and the downstairs cafe was closed. Overall: The Riverview on Mount commands a whole lot of money, in return for very few comforts and minimal service.

Room Tip: Room facing the city are incredibly hot. As for room on top floor facing street.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Seaford
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We found ourselves in Perth over Christmas unexpectedly without accommodation.Found this place by accident. We had a special rate as the apartments were mostly empty for the first few days and although we were not unhappy with what we paid we had had a larger better equipped flat the week before.for less money, so it is worth looking around.Apartment could have been cleaner, sort of missed the edges. We had a lovely patio to sit in and which we used for the first few days as we had no neighbours. From then on privacy was an issue. Also noise is a problem everthing echoes. Very useful lap top on reception for guests to use. Very helpful staff both in reception and housekeeping. Very close to Kings Park as well as access to Blue Cat. I certainly would not have paid full price

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I really enjoyed staing here, probably because I know how over-priced and prison-like most Perth accom is, having visited annually for the past 12 years. I had a really fun time, even though this is by no means a perfect place, and is strangely patchy and wrong in certain key aspects.
The location is excellent and very corporate and well heeled people live in this area. It's a brief stroll across the foot-bridge to West Perth CBD and king street. $12 taxi ride to Subiaco and a short ans scenic up-mount hike to Kings park. The brekkie crowd here are (essentially) al st exactly like the people having a power brekkie in North Sydney any day of the week (or so they would like to appear). It's the same scene, but because its Perth there's more arrogance and quite a lot of testosterone in the air which I did not like, and the French themed cafe should be brilliant (great space), but the staff aren't quite right: and certainly not organised... They messed up my bill on two mornings in a row and messed it up even more when they tried to correct it (without apology on either occassion). They shamelessly offloaded several big boxes of supplies almost on my feet on another morning without any apology (while I was simply endeavouring to read the Fin Times and drink my morning latte). But the cafe looks really nice and stylishly appointed. Likewise the limestone flooring is gorgeous but reception staff aren't quite right. There's a lot about this place that isn't quite right, especially for the price, but as I secured a really great deal on wotif.com and because I've always had a weird time with accom in Perth, I actually managed to roll with the punches at this place and laugh to myself about it.
I was given a really spacious room in the basement Inbetween two laundry areas. At 6 am every morning I was woken by about 8 huge rubbish wheelie bins being crashed around outside my room. Each day when I came back from business, the staff had parked all the dirty laundry bins right outside my bathroom window, and almost blocking the entrance to my room: seriously! My bathroom was fitted out for a geriatric and came complete with a support rail and a chair in the shower, but no shower curtain. It had a horrid hospital grade smell and appearance.
To top all of this off, the cleaning staff seemed to always appear outside my large picture window each time I emerged from the shower in my towell, and I had to have the curtains open there, because it would have been the drakest cave without my use of that window. I really began to wonder if there was some delight being taken at scaring guests in my particular room- not kind really!
Basically it was a pretty weird place to stay, but I did enjoy it. I appreciated the iPod docking station and the giant bed (even though it was just two pushed together). I liked the attempt at smokey 50s Hollywood shabby chic glam in the room decor. I also kinda liked the way this is a grungey old mid century motel that's been fiddled with in a naughties way. However, I would never pay the full advertised rates to stay here - no way. But if you can get a good deal, go for it, but remember to pack a sense of humour... And maybe your own shower curtain!

Room Tip: Get a good internet rate: Do not pay the full advertised rate.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Sydney
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Better than average! Picked up this place at $170 a night in December. The location is awesome - only a bridge away from Perth CBD. The concerns about noise from the freeway was unfounded, however I am a bit of a heavy sleeper so I could sleep through everything.

The staff were friendly, ringing me before I got into Perth because I was a late check in - and on another night, when I came back later in the week, they were able to help me out with a new blanket. It smelt like someone had chain smoked in their bed! Very quick to sort it out.

Loved the balcony - even if it was small. While it didn't quite have river views, the balconies did have a better view than some of the other rooms.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo