“Tuck away place”

Thai Esarn Restaurant
Ranked #377 of 1,398 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Very nice local place, locate close to teh railway station, easy local shopping parking, very spacious seating arrangement.

Food is on the spicy side. Fish cake was on the fishy side for me. The money bag and stuff chicken wings was ok, not to rave about.

The papaya salads really make up for the lousy starter. The green curry was a wow factor for me. Today was not a good day for us, they ran out of mangoes for the desert and prawn for the Tom Yum.

Overall it is nice, spicy yes and serving is small.

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

This resturant is for those who can eat authentic Thai food, especially from the Esarn region. We have been here at least a half dozen times even though half an hour from our place.
I am gradually working my way through the menu and throughly enjoying the experience.
As a westerner I have to remember to order mild to medium as medium is hot (for non Thais) and hot is Thai hot ie extremely hot as my friend found out with the Tom Yum. The only complaint is the lack of desserts but then Thais are not famous for desserts.

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

A small restaurant hidden in the surburbs...but it has some of the best flavoured curries.
We tried the massaman curry (with beef) and it was like being in Thailand again. The sweet flavour goes really well with the mildly seasoned beef.
The staff is attentive and the restaurant has a relaxed atmosphere.
Will definitely be back to try more curries&stirfries.

Reviewed 19 May 2017 via mobile

This little restaurant is near the Bayswater hotel and trakn station. It is BYO.
We ordered plain rice, battered tofu in satay sauce, stirfry vegies with cashews and some sort of fish pieces in a tasty sauce.
We do not like spicy hot food, so asked for mild. I was told the satay sauce was mild, it wasn't. The tofu was the firm kind fried in a thin batter. Normally at other Thai places it comes in tempura batter, much tastier. The stirfry vegies came in large chunks and mostly raw, very disappointing and lazy cooking really. I had no knife, so had to use my spoon and fork to cut vegies into bite size pieces.
The fish dish was good apparently.
From what we saw, booking is recommended.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Three of us went here Saturday night for a birthday dinner due to a recommendation.

The restaurant is quite small and and appears cluttered, with tables very close together, meaning that you need to be careful when sliding your chair back.

The service was slow and poor, with some tables seemingly served before others even though they arrived later. There was an overly long wait between ordering our meals (entrees and mains) and their arrival. Attracting the attention of the waitresses was quite difficult as they took no time to look around the room to see if any assistance was required.

The food was excellent, as good as we've had in Thailand and there were no complaints there.

I would happily recommend this restaurant except for the service we had. If you do decide to go, I suggest you choose a quieter time to go.