“Best Fish & Chips in Perth”

Grand Lane Fish House
Ranked #2 of 168 Quick Bites in Perth
Price range: AU$5 - AU$17
Neighbourhood: Perth CBD
Description: Perth City's Fish & Chip shop opened in May 2017. Serving traditional homemade hand cut twice cooked potato Chips. We use sustainable North Atlantic Cod, Haddock, Smoked Cod, Hake, Threadfin salmon and Barramundi, along with homemade dipping Sauces including English and Irish curry sauce and homemade Mushy peas. We have a specials board with special guest fish that offers the unusual along with the classics to keep you coming back for more. We also offer gluten-free batter and cater for celiacs. We pan fry fish and cook our chips separately. Families with children are most welcome. kids size meals are available. Our disabled facilities are second to none with oversize restrooms. The latest Laneway to be rejuvenated in the City center...the old "Grand Theatre Lane". We have Alfresco dining and Takeaway available in this funky laneway with an unusual art wall depicting some of the history of the Grand theatre Lane.
Reviewed 20 January 2024

Dropping by Grand Lane Fish House along Barrack Street in the heart of Perth city right across Adina Apartment Hotel in Western Australia was certainly one of the fine moments of our holiday.

Undoubtedly, they deserve the laurel of the best Fish & Chips in Perth. During our driving holiday in WA and also in Singapore, we have yet to come across the kind of battered seafood Paul Joyce and his team produce. The fish was fresh and the batter was crispy and light. We liked it so much that we dropped by again for one more meal before we returned home.

Date of visit: October 2023
1  Thank 1201Home

Reviewed 31 October 2023 via mobile

I was craving a good chippie to go to, and this hit the mark. Got the fisherman's pack i think. 3 prawns, 3 calamari, fish and chips. Bloody delish... chips were amazing, think they may have been real potatoes, not the usual processed ones. Got side of onion rings too.. give it a try, you won't be disappointed

Date of visit: October 2023
Reviewed 6 September 2023

It's OK. Nothing bad, but nothing good either. Though not going again. :( Great shark though. :) OK.

Date of visit: May 2023
Reviewed 1 April 2023

Hanging out in the city, got sick of lugging bags around so on the lookout for a place to rest my weary self and rocked upto the lovely people at the information centre in Forrest Place. I have always enjoyed my interactions with them even if they sometimes misinform me (with the best of intentions) as their directions caused me to miss the place the first couple of times I walked past. I had been walking down the lane (where I knew there was a dining area) but there was some construction works going on further down the laneway. Determined as I was, (this place had been on my to-do list), I went around into the front.
What I did find was a veritable oasis in the busyness of the city. With the train line so close, the street was full of people but once I was in, I was transported.
It was clean, fresh, white walls, plenty of plants hanging from the ceiling with blonde wood tables and chairs, giving you a view of the streetscape or to look at the black and white prints of times gone by. There was a white sideboard which contained condiments (salt, vinegar, lemon juice, etc) on the way into the serving area where Paul (Owner/Cook/) who was getting ready for service. He is quite the character, calling himself a 'prepper' and an affable bloke who talked me through the one page menu.
This menu is quite varied, from what you would expect to Haggis, Black Pudding as well as different sauces and kids dishes.
I decided on ordering the Fish Tacos with some chips. When I walked in, I was the only one there, but by the time I left, there had been several customers, all males, obviously city workers in for lunch.
Not long for a wait and I helped myself to a lemon juice, salt and vinegar for my lunch.
On a tray lined with paper, two fish tacos, with chips on the side. (See description from menu on the pictures provided).
I found the chips lovely, crispy and golden and very moreish, yummy.
The tacos were soft enough to enjoy but crunchy enough to be satisfying with a light batter and just the right amount tof slaw (cabbage, carrot) to mayo ratio.
The Mayo was not too spicy but the kick was enough to add extra depth to the meal.
Good Food at reasonable prices pleased me but it was the bathroom that tickled me,
absolutely perfect for a fish house.

Date of visit: March 2023
Reviewed 16 March 2023 via mobile

Popped in on way home from pub and enjoyed a beautiful piece of fish freshly battered and enough chips for each person

Date of visit: March 2023