“What a find - do I really want to share this treasure!”

Pinctada McAlpine House
Ranked #5 of 14 Broome B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“What a find - do I really want to share this treasure!”
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Deceided on the spur of the moment to head to Broome for New Year. I know it is the wet season but you can have some good weather in December/January. In the past I have always stayed out at Cable Beach and never really gone to the beach itself other than to see it.

So this time I thought I would try something closer to town and walking distance to a few restaurants. I came across by accident McAlpine House which had a rate of $200 per night inclusive of breakfast in a Garden Suite - good value. There are four types of rooms but the Garden Suite looked the most modern of them all. The others are done in a more classical style. Note also that there are only eight rooms in the place so it really is like a private retreat.

The price also included a transfer from the airport - quite common in Broome. I did double check by telephone that there would be someone to meet us on arrival but when we entered the arrivals hall there was no-one - not the best first impression. We checked with the general transfer desk who called the hotel and was told he could take us......hmmmmm.......

Trust me when I say that it all went dramatically UPHILL from here on in. We were met by the manager (Robert) who carried the bags to the room after a lengthy explanation of all the facilities. The rooms were beatifully air conditioned and spacious. Definately nice and modern. Big king size bed with plenty of pillows. An array of lighting options, a seating nook and desk. I think calling it a suite is a bit of a stretch but it was a great room.

The bathroom has two sinks and a giant shower (no bath but that is ok with me). You can see they are owned by the same people that run the Pinctata Resort as the towels and some other touches are branded as such. Towels were big and fluffy, toiletries were ok and some neat bathrobes. The shower heads could do with a bit of de-calcifying as they spray everywhere!!

Couple of points to note is that the website indicates a few things that the room did not have. There is no cable TV and no DVD player in the room. The added touch of the Nespresso machine was excellent though - who drinks instant coffee anymore.

We were treated to a bottle of champagne on arrival which was just magic and very much appreciated and needed in the heat. We drank it up on the balcony outside the library which overlooks the pool - we need to stay out of the rain. The library was also a nice place to chill out in air con comfort. There is a DVD player in here. Also there is free wireless internet which was great but hit and miss in the room - we were warned the signal was weaker there.

The pool area is just wonderful and again, like your own retreat. We were lucky that there were only ever three rooms occupied so it was peaceful. That does remind me, they have a number of parrots in an aviary which are VERY noisy, especially at 5:00 am - you have been warned.

During the wet season the food offering is reduced to a continental breakfast. This is just lovely and light enough to start off the day, I believe during the dry season they offer a cooked breakfast option as well as a dinner option. It was no hassle not having this and I knew this when I booked. The food menu looked good so would be worth trying.

I would definately rush back to stay here. If you are looking for a full list of resort options then do not stay here. It does not have a spa or a pool side bar but that worked for me. Having the peace and tranquility of the place to yourselves (other than the parrots) was perfect. Also the manager was magnificent - nothing was too much trouble. Always had a useful touring or dining tip and drove us out to the airport to pick up the hire car - top bloke.

If you choose here just know that it is not a big resort, if that is waht you want head out to Cable Beach and pick one there. That works for me as it means there will be less people booking here and I can keep it to myself!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank wockinwod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Broome
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Room has not been cleaned prior to our arrival. Dead cockroaches in kitchen cabinets. Dust room. Obvious cobwebs on ceiling, corners, Tv cabinet. No attention paid to our comments and complaint, no answer to the letter I wrote to General Manager. very disappointing. It is a Christmas present to my partner to stay 2nights in this hotel, but after only few minutes in the room, he just wanted to go home !

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BroomeShootingStar
England
Reviewed 30 November 2009

We stayed at Mc Alpine house in October 09 and were pleasantly surprised by its lush tropical garden, hand crafted Javanese furniture and old world charm.The bedroom was comfortable, with a modern wet room. Our host was welcoming and very attentive to our needs. As it was very hot, we enjoyed the cold breakfasts, with lots of tropical fruit and we made the most of the lovely swimming pool. There are only 8 rooms so it was quiet but just what we wanted after a busy day.you could walk into town but , in the heat , a rental car would be best. Mc Alpine House is not cheap but if you are after something different , in a tropical atmosphere and with historical connections, that is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clara_8
UK
Reviewed 23 July 2008

As other posters have said, this is not a cheap hotel. In season, as we were, it was $500 per night

Now that would be fine if there was the service to go with the price. There was no receptionist on duty, and she had to be summoned by phone (arrived 10 minutes later, then disappeared). No staff meant the the bar was not open except for an hour between 5 and 6. And the restaurant was closed because it was the chefs day off. One would have thought at the price that they could have afforded to have staff on duty.

The room we had, a Library Suite was very comfortable and well decorated. A problem with ants all over the place, but this is Australia, and I accept that!.

Breakfast was fine, but writing this 4 weeks after our visit, was unmemorable in as much as I cannot remember anything about it.

McAlpine House is an old building by local standards and indeed a historical building. It oozes character. But all considered, the hotel was worth perhaps $300 in comparing it with other hotels we stayed in in Australia, certainly not worth $500

• Liked — The charm of an old historical building
  • Disliked — The price meant that the value for money was poor. Lack of staff
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank moraira
melb
Reviewed 5 March 2008

have stayed in all rooms over many visits and simply love it. But unfortunately it is now pricing itself way above its position. The rooms are old style except the garden suites, the property is small but comfortable, no spa or any other resort facitities so hard to justify such a hike in price. I think room cleaning and breakfast at a B&B are standard but now these are supposed to be luxuries you have to pay extra for. $600 a night is way overpriced. Get back to your roots or maybe you will b happy having the place to yourself as I feel occupancy will decline.

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MelbPaul