“Kenyan never disappoints”

Ranked #69 of 5,000 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: USD 1 - USD 10
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: A traditional Japanese Restaurant situated in Melbourne’s CBD, Kenzan has been described as a stalwart in the Melbourne culinary scene since opening in 1981.
Reviewed 13 November 2019 via mobile

After a late finishing business meeting we decided to drop in unannounced for dinner. Whilst the restaurant was quite full they still managed to find us a table.

Kenyan never disappoints. Dinner was fantastic. The service was first class and always friendly and attentive.

I love coming here when in Melbourne.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank LEFTA2011
Write a reviewReviews (262)

Reviewed 7 November 2019

The salmon was really great. best salmon i ever had for awhile. The staff said to me i can just stay an hour but another good staff said to me dont mind him then explain that because we have some reservation we need to let the customer know. That's the difference of good staff vs inexperienced ones. Over all experience was amazing the food was great and we tried most of it and the desserts was great as well

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed 31 October 2019

We took visiting friends to share in the delight that is Kenzan. We nearly all opted for the bento box lunch. The miso soup has the best deep flavour I have tasted. The lunchbox has a variety of textures which I really like. Usually this has a reserved hush but on this occasion the noise levels were rising, hopefully in appreciation of fine food, beautifully presented.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank KERRYNT979
Reviewed 24 October 2019 via mobile

I was staying at the Sofitel on Collins and we saw Kenyan Japanese restaurant and I looked up Trip Advisor reviews and they were great . I ordered the spicy tuna and spicy mako rolls both were fresh and delicious . I also ordered the tempura prawn roll and it was terrific also . My wife ordered the shrimp and fish tempura appetizer and shared my sushi . The service was also great !! It was so good I talked my wife into going back our last night in Melbourne . I enjoyed even better than previous night . I highly recommend Kenyan ! Do not miss this > iigoing

Date of visit: October 2019
1  Thank Chuck D
Reviewed 29 August 2019

Dining at Kenzan has become a semi-regular experience this year! I have taken a few friends with me, and it's the go-to place for my partner and I after a movie at the Kino.

It was my niece's birthday. I gave her the choice of three places and she selected Kenzan. I think she really enjoyed the ambiance and attention to detail offered by staff in the attractive setting.

As in former times, we ordered one of each of the two special bento lunches. We swapped some of the goodies, like for like. Her crumbed prawn for my tempura one, or some of her chicken teriyaki for one of my nori rolls.

We drank a small container of a medium/dry sake, from Kobe.

Staff were most attentive, topping up the water and making sure all was well. Our table was in a quiet area, so ideal for a confidential conversation.

It's surprising how filling the contents of the bentos are. We did not need a dessert, or even coffee. It was a most enjoyable lunch for about $50 per person (plus a tip of course.)

Date of visit: August 2019