See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I hesitated to write a review for this property as I am more used to staying in larger hotels. My husband was coming down to Melbourne and we needed somewhere cost effective for a 9 night stay.

We booked here because of the cooking facilities, location and price. I will say that the room was adequate, however the bed was extremely uncomfortable, and the toilet sometimes failed to fill properly. The noise from the trams didn't bother us. The area seemed safe, we went out numerous times walking at night without a problem or concern. Whilst we thought the three flights of stairs would be fine for us (at 30 years old) they really did become difficult after you come and go multiple times a day. If you're sensitive to smell, do not stay here. There are multiple automatic air fresheners in the stairwell and it really is overwhelming.

Octavian was very polite and helpful throughout the stay. For me, I probably wouldn't stay here again, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for others that I think it might suit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gem H
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Our son, who has suffered from debilitating epilepsy most of his life was given the opportunity to have brain surgery at the Royal Melbourne Hospital after earlier evaluation visits from North Queensland. My wife accompanied him as carer and my role was to find suitable accommodation for possibly 4 to 5 weeks.
I scoured websites for accommodation handy to RMH , hopefully close to a supermarket type foodstore and with kitchen and laundry facilities. It is difficult to choose accommodation from 3000 km. away but in the end, we settled on North Melbourne Serviced Apartments. I had read a number of client reviews, some stating the building was not new. Well, I can assure people that most hotels in Brisbane regarded a 5 or 6 star are not new either. One lady remarked how she held her nose the whole time she stayed there . Well, hello princess, ever worked in shearing sheds or cattle yards?
So, how did I make a decision from a long way away? In the end it was easy. Octavian assured me that my wife and son would be looked after and if they required help, they only had to ask. True to his word, he gave excellent assistance and behaved as a friend. There seem to be some complaints about the nightly tariff. I can only say that having travelled all of Queensland, including the far western country and the Northern Territory before retirement, you don’t judge satisfaction by the nightly room rate. When you are a long way away and concerned for your wife and son, you judge satisfaction by the decency of the accommodation manager and I was not disappointed.
Octavian doesn’t seem intent on assessing whether his accommodation is “how many stars”. I can only suggest that when the chips are down, whether your accommodation is 3, 4 or 5 stars is totally irrelevant if you are being looked after and you are close to loved ones. In my opinion, when the chips are down you get real, or at least we do and homely, friendly treatment is very important.
Thanks Octavian.

Room Tip: backside One Bedroom Apartment
Reviewed 21 April 2014

this place was fantastic, family friendly, very spacious, very clean, staff where very friendly, and great comminuication, even with a last minute booking every thing was awesome, will be visiting again :)

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Robyn913
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Initially booked for a week stay to coincide with my wife's operation in nearby Royal Melbourne. Due to complications we ended up staying for another two weeks - a total of three weeks all up.

The apartment is older style, clean and comfortable. We were lucky enough to get one at the rear of the building away from the street noise. Service from the staff was excellent - very helpful and friendly. Were very accommodating when we had to keep extending our stay as we did not know how long my wife was to be in hospital.

Very close to the hospital and tram outside to go into the CBD. Shops in North Melbourne a 10 minute walk,

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The apartments are not flash by any means, dated but comfortable and the service is excellent. Do ask for an apartment at the back as the trams can be a little noisy. Perfect for a quick visit where most of what you need to do is in North Melbourne.

• Stayed: March 2014