Stayed four nights for business - at convention centre and this location was perfect. Walked on more energetic days, right on the Collins Street tram line (with regular trams to the door of the MCEC) for not so energetic days.
When we arrived it was almost as though the room had been ransacked by the previous guest. A number of items were missing which we had to report to the reception staff to avoid being charged after we checked out. Even once essential items were replaced (including the kettle and the remote control) the room was equipped with only the bare minimum. The reception staff also explained that it was highly unlikely that the TV in the bedroom would work at all as "it is very old and we're expecting that it will be replaced soon." I never did find out if it worked as I feared some sort of electrical incident if I tried.
We stayed in a one bedroom apartment but this definition was obviously used quite loosely as the bedroom wasn't separate at all with just a dividing wall and no door. Room size was generous but the furnishings were old and worn. The room was very clean.
Our room was on the third floor which meant that we heard every noise from the lifts - this is an oddly soothing noise similar to a train in a tunnel and once we got used to it didn't affect sleep. On weekends the noise went on until all hours but was quieter on weekdays.
Nightly rate was good value for money but, as per other reviews, internet is too expensive to be practical - when will a hotel chain realise that including internet would be a huge advantage over the competition!
Would probably choose the Oaks building on Lonsdale over this one as, even though it was convenient for business, the other end of town is where it's all happening.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oaks on Market is a centrally located Melbourne accommodation, offering easy access to Melbourne's attractions: shopping, theatres, dining and entertainment, as well as proximity to the legal and financial precincts. Oaks On Market comprises 280 luxuriously appointed Studio, 1 and 2 bedroom fully self-contained apartments. All rooms have brand new 32-inch flat screen TVs, sofas and contemporary artwork. Some rooms have views over the Yarra River and guests can also enjoy individual stereo systems, climate control, access to the indoor heated lap pool, fully equipped gym, spa and sauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotelopia so you can book your Oaks on Market reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oaks On Market Melbourne, Victoria
- Oaks On Market Hotel Melbourne