“Nothing wrong with the odd splurge!”

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have stayed at The Langham at least half a dozen times. The more you frequent the same hotel, the higher the chances of it being a bit hit and miss: occasionally everything goes wonderfully well, and other times things go awry. Thankfully, I have only experienced the latter once. On every other occasion my stays at The Langham have been wonderful.

Location of the hotel is, for me, one of its strong-points. I stay here when I come to Melbourne to watch the football. It is an easy 15-minute walk to the MCG. (When my team loses it’s a not-so-easy 25-minute trudge back.) Flinders Street Railway station is only 3 minutes walk from the hotel and there is nice shopping on Southbank, which is right at The Langham's back door. Melbourne CBD and shopping is about a ten-minute walk away. Walking along the river promenade as night falls is one of the great experiences of Melbourne.

Every staff member I encountered on my last visit was unfailingly pleasant and friendly, from the porters to the staff in Aria, to Reception.

Breakfast is served in Melba restaurant on Podium level. For a full buffet breakfast it will set you back $40.00, which - unless you have the appetite of a centre half-forward - is outrageous. Choice is good, although I could find no scrambled eggs. I know there is a dedicated egg station, but I didn't feel like queuing. I am sure I didn't eat forty dollars worth of breakfast, or even twenty, come to that, but, if you stay at The Langham, you are going to either need your boss' credit card or else a thick wallet of your own. I have neither, I simply consider a stay here to be a treat I allow myself a few times a year.

I did not eat dinner at the restaurant on this occasion, although in the past I have, and found the choice to be very good. There are numerous eating-places on Southbank. You are spoiled for choice, and definitely won't go hungry if you stay here.

Rooms are quite vast and the marbled bathrooms are enormous. The towels are huge and the beds are like sleeping on a cloud. I have never been bothered by noise from outside my room or from the adjoining rooms. One does hear the noise from the plumbing when the taps are turned on, which can be a little annoying if your neighbour is an early riser.

There were two slightly disappointing things about my last visit. The first was that the receptionist didn't offer me a room upgrade – the first time I haven't been offered one (I may have been amenable); and the second was that my stay coincided with Earth Hour, and the TV in my room contained the message that the hotel was a supporter of this and that during Earth Hour "minimum lighting will remain on throughout the hotel in accordance with health and safety standards and statutory requirements." I have no problems with hotels doing their bit for the environment; however, in the process, I wish they would try to be apolitical. This guest wishes to retire to his room in comfort without being subjected to the ecoideologies of the proponents of Earth Hour.

These little misgivings aside, I will be back at The Langham.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
DavidLM_LanghamMelb, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Thank you for your comprehensive review. We are delighted to hear that you found our Front Office staff to be helpful and we will certainly pass your feedback on to them. Our Blissful Beds are so popular, they are available through our Flavours of Langham outlet – if you want one for your own home, you can contact our sales staff on 1800 641 107 and they will be able to assist you in describing the options. The best value breakfast prices for residents is when you purchase a room package including breakfast in the tariff, always available on our website. Please be aware there are scrambled eggs in a special steam container on the buffet as well as the chef cooking them at the egg station. The hotel does support Earth Hour. The message on the screen was simply to notify our guests of different lighting levels in the public areas during that time. Lights were not adjusted in the guest rooms unless they wanted to themselves. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
David Landis-Morse

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We had such a wonderfull time with courtesy over and above their duties, and we would reccomend to our family and business friends such a wonderful break away from the stersses of every day life, we will certainly return as soon as business allows.

Kindest Regards,

Louise McGill
Managoing Director

Room Tip: Check out other hotels and find the Langham has the best to offer in every area
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My Sister & I stayed at The Langham while visiting Melbourne for the Faith Hill & Tim McGraw concert, we don't usually stay in 5 star accomodation so it was a lovely treat. The location is perfect & will definately stay this side of the river again, and maybe at the Langham. We arrived early and luckily our room was ready. Check in was really friendly & prompt. The room was amazing, lovely big comfy twin beds. Beautiful bathroom with lots of little extras as in toothpaste, razor, cotton tips & tissues, also lovely toiletries. The room was extremely clean & no noise. Beautiful curtains, carpets & furniture but the beds wore the best ever. The turn down service was great the night we were out but on the other nights we were happy with the water & friendly visit. We had buffet breakfast on our last morning but did not eat a lot even though the choice was the best we have ever seen at a buffet restaurant. The price at $40 per person was a little expensive. The staff in the restaurant were really friendly & I felt special when they remembered my name. If your looking to treat yourself The Langham is the place to stay in Melbourne.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Just had the 2 night Easter Haven package. Make sure you do breakfast, but leave room for the chocolate goodies on offer... pancakes with shaved chocolate, smarties and ice-cream. And the chocolate fountain for breakfast!! Unashamedly decadent!
Had a massage with Daniel at the Chuan Spa and loved the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room!
Great position at Southgate.

Room Tip: Ask for a view! I forgot to and then did not bother.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Langham is a true home away from home. An old-fashioned notion with a modern context. Everything is beautiful, elegant and quiet - the food is fabulous, location super-easy and the Chuan Spa is delightful. Thank you Langham for being an oasis for every Melbourne visit!

Room Tip: the river rooms are worth the extra $ and the corner rooms are a treat.