“I expected more.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“I expected more.”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband recently had to stay at this hotel for business, and I decided to tag along. He had stayed at this hotel before and had rated it quite highly so I was looking forward to my night away. On arrival the valet was ok, although I was surprised that even though I had just a small carry on bag, they did not offer to take it. Check in was fine although it would have been nice if I had been told I needed to use my card in the lift. The room was standard, nothing to write home about but definitely adequate, the bathroom small but serviceable. Where the hotel really fell down was in the housekeeping. The runner at the bottom of the bed had a large stain and when I went to remove the throw pillow from the bed couldn't help but notice a mass of white congealed gunk on the other side. I'm sorry but this is just icky and should not be present at a hotel of this standard. It made me think the housekeeper had noticed it and in their haste had just turned the pillow over. It made me wonder what else had been missed, like the dirty spoon under the desk. My only other complaint was the bar staff do not know how to make a bloody mary, way to tomatoey and what ever happened to the celery?! On the plus side room service was good and breakfast came on time and was hot.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank cheekysmle
Greg M, General Manager at Crown Promenade Melbourne, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Whilst I was disappointed to hear we didn’t meet your expectations, your comments in reference to Housekeeping and the Bar Staff have been discussed in detail with the Department Managers to improve our service delivery. Your positive comments about room service and breakfast will be appreciated as we always try to provide five star service to all our guests.

Kind regards,

Greg Moore
Crown Promenade Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Valley du Loir
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Good views across the river, comfortable room, good location on the bustling Southbank. Impersonal service is what lets this hotel down. We felt that we had to make an effort to engage the staff. Apparently there is a reasonably priced all you can eat buffet on Friday and Saturday nights at the hotel and we had planned to eat there the evening we arrived but it was packed, so book ahead. However you are spoiled for choice for dining in Melbourne. For breakfast go to the Queen Victoria Market and for cheap eats there are at least two food courts on the Southbank.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonerinFrance
Hale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This was my first stay at Crown Promenade, although I have attended a few conferences and events at the Crown complex.

I was very impressed with the room (studio room type). It was spacious, plenty of natural light and expansive views of the Melbourne city skyline (I had a corner room). See photos for different views of the room.

The HD TV was much larger than needed, but was nice to have. It would have been indeal if the working / desk area faced the TV, rather than having your back to the TV while working. The desk area was spacious and comfortable though.

I ordered room service dinner and also breakfast and the delivery was really prompt, particularly for such a large hotel complex - very impressed.

I had a business lunch in Bistro Guillaume and was very impressed with the relaxed ambience and superb French food. I started with the salad nicoise with rare wild tuna and the had the pork belly for the main. Delightful.

While staying at Crown, I had some meetings in the nearby Southbank area which was an easy stroll and highlighted to me just how convenient the Crown location is - such a wide variety of food & beverage options at your doorstep.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Any negatives?

- there's something not right with the mag-stripe room keys / cards. You need to swipe your card to access your room floor from within the lift, not that uncommon these days, but either the cards have been recycled too many times or the card reader in the lift needs a service. I had to swipe and re-swipe multiple times. It wasn't just me, every lift ride had the same situation wtih other guests struggling to get the lift to acknowledge their card. You need your room card to access "the deck" on level 3 and my card didn't work at all. Went to reception and got another card re-coded. Solved.

- the reception desk has those bollards and retractable belts to help control crowds and form queues - the kind you see at an airport and in my opinion, should only be seen in airport or high volume traffic areas. It's an eyesore. I had the feeling that check-in would be slow. It wasn't, but I'm just not a fan of those queue systems in upscale hotels.

- the coffee cup that came with room service breakfast was stained. Wasn't a big deal as the minibar had two sets of coffee cups, both perfectly clean, so disaster was averted.

- the gym on level 3 "the deck" is pretty basic, but I guess there isn't much demand for extensive gym facilities with all the other options at your doorstep.

Room Tip: If you book a studio room, ask for a room ending in '79' as these are the corner rooms and h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My maid of honour and I stayed at this property the night before my wedding, we booked here due to close proximity to Southbank and the place we were getting ready at the next morning.

Check in was effortless, and parking was easy due to the valet.

Room was very spacious, we had a standard twin room with two queen beds. Beautiful beds, very comfortable. Bathroom was quite large for a "standard" room and the lay out was good.

Would definitely recommend this property to other travellers, and would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I took advantage of a special deal - three nights for the price of two, including a bottle of sparkling wine which I think is very good value for what we got. Our room had great views over the river and city and Southbank. We didn't eat in the hotel as there as so many other dining options close by. It's also just a short walk to Flinders Street station and lots of trams which we used quite extensively.

Our room had been prepaid. The only thing I didn't like was debiting my card $100/night for incidentals. On querying this, the reception staff told me to mention on check out that it was a debit not a credit card and the money would be put straight back in the account, which it was.

Overall, we had a pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple