Review Highlights
The Private Tour Guide- GREAT MEMORIES- 3 Different Tours- 3 Fabulous Days!!!!!

I researched our options for touring and with whom. The Private Tour Guide was fantastic in the... read more

Reviewed 26 February 2020
F3739ENjennifers
Take this 2 day trip

With so many options, it can be hard to decide the best way to tour the Great Ocean Road. First... read more

Reviewed 25 February 2020
UNR91
Berkeley

Recommended experiences in and around Melbourne
from USD 345.37
from USD 77.71
from USD 105.97
from USD 230.25
More Info
All reviews the great ocean road yarra valley phillip island beat the crowds penguin parade city tour avoid the crowds moonlit sanctuary hour tour wonderful trip fantastic guide simon koalas apostles tours sights australia
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 February 2018

Fabulous
The perfect adjective to describe our day with Peter. With having only one thing on our agenda that day, kangaroos /koalas, we surrendered ourselves to peter to show us the sights of Melbourne . In Peters other life he is an actor/singer/dancer and with my friends love with broadway musicals etc an instant connection was formed. Colorful beach bungalows, botanical gardens, street art, theatres were unfolded to us accompanied by Peters witty narrative, along with explanation of aboriginal names/meanings of Melbourne’s landmarks . Our New York brand of humor and sarcasm perfectly complemented Peters delightful presentation of all those useless facts tour guides choose to impart on unsuspecting tourists.

Date of experience: February 2018
TPTG, Manager at The Private Tour Guide, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

Thanks Janice,

Yes, Peter is a true entertainer and loves being a guide in Melbourne, where he can use his contacts in the theetre industry to enhance the experience for our clients. So happy that you enjoyed your day.

Reviewed 9 February 2018

First of all I have to disclose, I am currently doing the WSET Diploma, which is a pretty intense wine degree, but in this case just means that I know enough about wine to be a real pain in the a#@.

But not only was Simon incredibly patient with my ever-changing schedule, he really worked to unearth some insider gems for me and make sure that my one day in the Yarra was perfect. It started with a good broad overview and ended with a small insider-fave producer. The next night I spoke with the sommelier at a top Melbourne restaurant and he was really impressed with the places Simon took me to.

Simon is extremely professional, but also a funny guy, with lots of good stories and, most-importantly, he knows when to jump in and when to disappear. I do a lot of wine trips for my course and he is among the top guides I've had.

I'm already planning to to come back and do some more with him in the Yarra, and do his trip to the Mornington as well. Highly recommended!

Date of experience: January 2018

So happy I was able to give you this great wine experience Allison. We really take every client's focuses very seriously - in all our tours, but especially in the Yarra Valley and Mornington wine regions. Having been in the business for 20 years, the rapport we have built with the winemakers and cellar door staff means that our experiences go beyond the normal tourism expectations and our clients often state that they felt like family and close friends rater than tourists.

It was a true pleasure taking you to the Yarra Valley and I am looking forward to the next time we meet.

Reviewed 24 January 2018

I'm generally skeptical of a profile with perfect reviews, but I put my skepticism aside and booked the Great Ocean Road tour with Simon. As a solo traveller, I didn't want to get lost in the bustle of a busy group tour, and most importantly, I didn't want to rush my experience. Simon was incredibly knowledgable, friendly, and let me take my time to take in all the sights. He introduced me to a local baker and overall created a safe, welcoming and adventurous experience. Thank you, Simon!

Reviewed 22 January 2018

My family of 5 including daughters ages 19, 21 and 27 recently went to Australia for a Christmas vacation. We chose The Private Tour guide for the Yarra Valley tour . I wanted my family to be able to enjoy the day -especially my husband who had been doing a spectacular job of driving on the left side of the road. What we got was one of the best days in our 16 day adventure. Simon picked us up early and took us to the Healesville Sanctuary before heading to the vineyards(this is extra and you must request ahead of time). We were there early before it got too hot or crowded and were able to see all the native animals-koalas, kangaroos, dingos, Tasmanian Devil that were all awake and moving. Only the wombat was sleeping but we did get to see his backside!. From there we headed to Domaine Chandon and had a glass of champagne while we strolled and took pictures with an exquisite backdrop of the vineyards and valley. We visited several other wineries and had a delicious lunch at Tarrawarra. Although we had quite a bit to drink Simon got us safely home and we even had some carpool karaoke in the van on the way home!
Simon was charming, informative and downright just a great guy-he's the reason why this day is in the top 3 of ALL the things we did in Australia(along with scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef and the Bridge Climb). You wont regret booking with The Private Tour Guide. We have already told all our friends in the States that he is THE guide to use when planning a trip to Melbourne.
Thanks again Simon. We wont forget you (and you might not forget that loud family from New Orleans!)

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed 20 January 2018

Based on other TripAdvisor recommendations, my wife and I took a private Great Ocean Road tour courtesy of The Private Tour Guide. The booking process with Simon was seamless, and the tour itself (with Peter as a great daylong companion) was a treat. Worth the extra money to customize your experience without worrying about the timetable of a vanload of others.

Simon and Peter suggested a "reverse" tour (start early, go to the 12 Apostles first, then take the coastal drive back to Melbourne) and it's strongly recommended. Enjoy!

1  Thank dseesel