Review Highlights
The Private Tour Guide- GREAT MEMORIES- 3 Different Tours- 3 Fabulous Days!!!!!

I researched our options for touring and with whom. The Private Tour Guide was fantastic in the... read more

Reviewed 26 February 2020
F3739ENjennifers
Take this 2 day trip

With so many options, it can be hard to decide the best way to tour the Great Ocean Road. First... read more

Reviewed 25 February 2020
UNR91
Berkeley

Recommended experiences in and around Melbourne
from USD 349.58
from USD 78.66
from USD 107.26
from USD 233.06
More Info
All reviews the great ocean road yarra valley phillip island beat the crowds penguin parade city tour avoid the crowds moonlit sanctuary hour tour wonderful trip fantastic guide simon koalas apostles tours sights australia
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 January 2018

We had a truely magical end to the year with an unforgettable day out exploring Yarra Valley and it's hidden gems with Simon. As a local Melbournian, I was a little skeptical about touring in our own back yard, but Simon took us to some wonderful new places and he was such great company and a wealth of knowledge about the area. Lunch at Tarrawarra was a highlight, great food and fabulous service. I highly recommend The Private Tour Guide, and will definitely be back again next year for another year end celebration.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

After my wife and I booked a trip to Australia, starting at Melbourne, she found a company called The Private Tour Guide to show us the Great Ocean Road. She contacted Simon Greenland at the company, and he made it easy and pleasant to customize a one-day tour to fit our available time. Exactly as scheduled, guide Peter Luehman picked us up and explained how we’d spend the day, starting with a moderately long drive to his recommended first vista, taking advantage of light early-morning traffic and giving us a chance to get comfortable with each other. That worked out very well. We walked the boardwalk near the Twelve Apostles, learned the history and geology of the area, and took a lot of pictures in the beautiful morning light. Peter even showed us some useful tricks with our digital camera and iPhones. We explored Gibson Steps and the Loch Ard Gorge from above and from beach level. We moved on to the engaging town of Apollo Bay for lunch, then continued to the Maits Rest Rainforest Trail and the Kennett River area (I don’t remember which was first) to see parrots, cockatoos, and koalas in a natural habitat. After that, we continued to a golf course at Anglesea to see kangaroos in what’s become their habitat, and then back to our hotel right as scheduled. We saw and did even more; this is just a summary. Both my wife and I highly recommend touring the Great Ocean Road, particularly with the company and guidance of The Private Tour Guide, Simon, and Peter.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

We got to spend 3 days with Simon during our visit in Melbourne and we had a wonderful time! Simon is really interesting, knowledgeable, fun and attentive. He is always on time and the perfect amount of friendly vs professional. The first day we went to Yarra Valley and did wine tastings. The ride there was beautiful and very informative. We visited 4 vineyards that Simon handpicked and they all had a wide variety of delicious wines to taste. Really good balance of a bigger vs family-style winery, and all the traditional wines of the region were there. The lunch was fantastic! A beautiful view, delicious food, great service and lovely wines. We finished off with a stop at the chocolate factory and made our way back to Melbourne where Simon recommended some awesome outings for the night. The next day he picked us up for a Great Ocean Road tour! Simon made sure the tour was perfectly orchestrated to avoid the crowds and see as much as possible of the beautiful scenery. We had a delicious lunch at the Timboon distillery along with some locally brewed beverage tasting. We stopped at the local ice cream shop and went to a ton of amazing picture spots. The whole time Simon was a ton of fun to interract with and made sure to give us a lot of infomation about the area, the history and culture. He is really knowledgeable and passionate. We slept at Chris's Beacon Point which was an experience in itself! The next day we made our way to a few other sights and headed for Phillip's island to see the Penguins parade. It was a long day with lots of driving but Simon made sure we were constantly entertained and made some strategic stops that we were extremely pleased with! We got to see kangaroos and koalas in their natural habitat, see lots of iconic photo stops, feed the parrotts, make it up the hill at Arthur's seat, see the colorful Beach Boxes on the coast, take the ferry, have a delicious lunch at a local microbrewry, do some wine tasting on the Peninsula, see beautiful surf beaches, and so much more!!! The Penguin Parade was a wonderful experience and we highly recommend booking all those experiences with The Private Tour Guide!!! Bref, le tour c'était bien bon!!!! ;) Thank you so much!

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 14 December 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the 3 day/2 night tour that Simon Greenland designed specifically for me to explore the Great Ocean Road(GOR) & Grampians National Park(GNP). Simon is a consummate professional tour guide who was easy to communicate with electronically beforehand who will insure that your specific interests will be served optimally. He is most knowledgeable, considerate, articulate, caring & very willing to modify the proposed itinerary to optimize opportunities to appreciate the unique experiences that one can have on the GOR & in GNP if the weather conditions(in my case rain) merit doing so.
Simon is an excellent driver who I felt safe with throughout our entire time together.
It was my distinct pleasure to have met Simon and to have him be 100% effective in meeting & exceeding my expectations for my time spent on the GOR & in GNP.
There is no doubt that I'd seek out Simon if I return to Victoria in the future.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

My family had three day tours (Phillip Island & Churchill Island; Yarra Valley; Great Ocean Road) with Simon Greenland of The Private Tour Guide in early December. My three kids, aged 8 to 10, were very comfortable with Simon, who was so understanding and patient with them. My 8-year-old son was rather sad to say goodbye on our last day with Simon, who has three young kids himself. In my kids’ words:

“Mr Simon was very friendly.”
“Everything was fun!”
“I loved sticking my legs out on the Puffing Billy!” (Simon taught them how to do that.)

As for the adults, we really enjoyed Simon’s company as well. He was sensitive to the needs of our children and planned our itinerary so that we could avoid crowds and take the best photos. He also helped to look out for our kids while we took pictures. He is very knowledgeable and shared interesting information about the plants and animals we saw, so it was a learning journey for us as well. Beyond our tours with him, Simon offered lots of advice on what to see and do in Melbourne, which we appreciate very much.

We would highly recommend Simon to anyone who wants a good private tour guide in Melbourne. He is awesome.

Thank you, Simon!!!