“All three of Paul's day tours.”

Melbourne Birding Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Full day and extended birding tours near Melbourne, Australia and beyond. Small/private groups with all birding levels catered for. Friendly, personalized service which includes all meals and hotel pickups and drop offs. A professional, knowledgeable guide with a passion for all Australian wildlife. Tours can be customized to your needs or to target specific species. Use of a Swarovski spotting scope, field guides and binoculars.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We signed up for all three of Paul's day tours around Melbourne, spread over the 14 days that we spent there. We could not have had a better guide. His ability to find and identify the birds and mammals that interested us, and his general knowledge of the fauna and flora, were superb. His persistence at finding an Australian Spotted Crake or a Rufous Bristlebird for us led to us calling him Perseverance Paul. We might as well have dubbed him Patient Paul, since his endless patience with two old folks in their eighties, one with restricted movement, was admirable. Paul's consideration of us both at all times, and his willingness to go the extra mile, was enormously appreciated. We have great pleasure in recommending his services to all birders.

3  Thank desjoyjackson
PaulH831, Owner at Melbourne Birding Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thanks so much for the amazing review, glad you had such a great time :)

All reviews
"fairy wrens"
"day trip"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Paul was only my second ever Bird Guide and first in Australia and he was terrific. Knew the local sites and species and was very easy to get along with. I appreciated that he was always on-time to meet and was prepared with anything we might need. He allowed me to make changes to my solo itinerary which helped me home in on what I wanted to see, including finding me some kangaroos, a wallaby, and a pig-tailed macaque! Couldn't recommend him more!

1  Thank TheGrimCorsair
Paul H, Owner at Melbourne Birding Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thanks very much for the great review and for the recommendation. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

After discussion with Paul, it was decided that I have a full day trip to the Werribee Treatment Plant. I had heard about this place and am very keen on waterbirds and photographing them. We had good weather and I was so pleased that I got to see the particular birds I was interested in - birds of prey, spoonbills. We actually saw 85 species of birds which I thought was amazing. Paul was incredible at spotting birds and quickly identifying them. Really impressive. I loved the open nature of the treatment plant and the many birds so easy to see and photograph. We had lots of good views of birds of prey sitting on low posts or flying. There is a lot of driving on such a large wetland area and Paul is a very safe driver. I enjoyed my lunch. Great that he gave me a printed bird checklist of Werribee. A highlight was when we saw Purple-crowned Lorikeets not far from the treatment plant. Thanks, Paul, for a really good day.

2  Thank BrisbaneAnne
Paul H, Owner at Melbourne Birding Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thanks for the great review Anne. So happy that you enjoyed it and got heaps of photos.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

This is my fifth review of birding with Paul Hackett and Melbourne Birding, and is again, a rave review. We made a ten day trip to Cairns, the Atherton Tableland and up to The Daintree. We had good weather and Paul had selected excellent accommodations at each site. We birded each day, visiting selected locations for target species, and added a trip to the Great Barrier Reef at Michaelmas Cay for snorkeling and seabirds. The trip list comprised 205 species, of which 53 were life birds for me. We had superb close range looks at everything, and also added many interesting mammals-Platypus, Lumholz' Tree Kangaroo, Green Ring-tailed Possum, and more. As always, Paul was the consummate host and companion, and knew just where to focus our time. I am completely happy with this tour, and will be back again next year. As this is not one of Paul's regularly scheduled trips, if you have questions, please contact me. Paul has my e-mail and phone number (I live in Hawaii), and I am happy to answer questions. I am a very experienced birder and have birded around the world. I cannot think of a better guide than Paul.

Date of experience: February 2018
2  Thank Richard M

Thanks Dick, it's always a pleasure to guide you around Australia!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 March 2018

We had an awesome time and did some very memorable birding with Paul. Beautiful surroundings and fantastic birds. We were very stoked to start the day off with a southern emu-wren, which we had missed on our previous tries. We told Paul we wanted this bird, and he made sure we got it. What an epic bird! Tons of other great birds throughout the day. The Western Treatment Plant was awesome of course. And Paul himself was great company. Highly recommend.

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank CondorExpress
Paul H, Owner at Melbourne Birding Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2018

Thanks for the great review! It was great to be able to show you the brilliant Southern Emu-wren and plenty of others of course.