“Spacious clean rooms - but restaurant problems”

Park Regis Griffin Suites
Victoria
“Spacious clean rooms - but restaurant problems”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Reception staff are friendly and professional. The rooms are quite spacious, very clean and well appointed. We had a one bedroom apartment on the 4th floor.Unfortunately the windows are not double glazed, so you tend to get a lot of traffic noise from very busy St Kilda Road. The hotel is only 4 floors high, the rest of the floors are residential apartments. The lift doors got stuck closed once, but it wasn't too far down to walk.
We purchased a package deal that included a set breakfast (for two mornings). We sat down the first morning and ended up sending the food back three times. The staff were told on four separate occasions that I could not eat wheat or bread and that I have coeliac disease, and continued to bring plates of french toast and eggs on toast, even after we asked them to check with the chef about what I could eat. My daughter came with us and we paid for hers, but after waiting one hour and sending food food back they should have comped it, even if they did give us free coffee. The constant return off food and re-explanations disrupted others in the restaurant and I was ready to walk. We didn't even bother to try breakfast the following morning.
Apart from the breakfast, the Park Regis is a pleasant enough place to stay, reasonably priced and has free newspapers, with trams running out the front. Best to stay during the week rather than the weekend when most places are closed.

Room Tip: Ask for a forth floor room towards the back of the building to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelvictoria
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Park Regis Griffin Suites, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Dear Travelvic

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Park Regis Griffin Suites.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience and discomfort that may have been caused to you during your stay. I would also like to assure you that we greatly value all your feedback and comments detailed in your review, and that the information will be used by our operations and training management to implement corrective measures as part of our process to continue improving our service standard and product quality.

I appreciate your positive comments regarding the reception staff and our rooms.

The comments regarding the breakfast were disappointing to read. I have spoken with staff regarding the need to ensure guest requests are listened too and actioned correctly.

We pride ourselves in offering excellent service and it is provided at a high standard. I will be reminding staff of this and that we are to exceed guest expectations.

I again apologise for the service that was received at breakfast and please be assured that we take these issues very seriously and that they are acted upon.

Best regards,

Michael Ball

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We had a 1 bedroom apartment which was 'fine' - quite spacious, big bed (was a zip up the middle but lots of hotels have those) - clean, bit bland, nothing very exciting to say really. Was close to trams and weekend street parking is free ($15 in hotel). Was a good location for us, not lots to do on this part of St Kilda Road - Beer Cafe & 7-11 just down the road but that's about it.
Seems like a party hotel - we saw 2 decent size groups with cartons of bacardi breezer but we didn't hear any noise.
Laundry is shared - from the write up on the website I'd assumed it was internal. Fortunately is was right next to our room.
Had room service - quick and tasty.
Overall happy with service & price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Hotel is clean and appropriate but you can see the hotel is getting old and cost cutting over maintenance.

Service was poor. Reps looked very uninterested

We were given first a room that was not proper made up and it was a room fitted for disability facing the carpark. The second room was much better.

• Stayed August 2011
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Park Regis Griffin Suites, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Dear Micmic9

Firstly I appreciate the positive comments regarding the cleanliness of the Hotel. We certainly strive to exceed guest expectations in all areas.
In regards to the "hotel getting old" I can only assume you are commenting on the exterior as we have an on going program of general maintenance, the painting of rooms and upgrading furniture. If there was something specific during your stay in future please call Reception who will be able to assist or rectify the problem. I acknowledge that the exterior requires some work. To that end it will undergo maintenance and the painting of the facade within the next month or so. We are finalising details at the moment.

I apologise that the initial room was not properly made up and I will discuss this with our Housekeeper. This is not a common occurance and I'm glad the second room was ready for you.

I was certainly disappointed to read that some of the staff looked uninterested and I will follow this up with the various Department Heads.

Thank you again for your feedback. Please be assured that we do act on these comments. This allows us to improve our service to our guests and improve various standards that do not meet or exceed our guest expectation.

Best regards,

Michael Ball
________________________________________
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I was never really quite sure what to expect, $200 a night for a 2 bedroom suite on St Kilda Rd really did seem too good to be true but I was pleasantly surprised.

The room itself was fantastic, we were staying on the 3rd floor, beds were well presented and clean. The only fault I could give was that the windows were dirty, quite dirty actually but it was forgivable. Breakfast was good.

I reallky cant say anything that hasnt already been said, I highly reccomend this location

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Last minute decision to stay here, turned up and got an excellent room (upgrade) on the spot, haggled for a reduced rate - excellent.
Check-in staff very friendly, room huge (suite) and very clean, plenty of tea&coffee.
Free laundry room.
Excellent position, great for the Belgian Beer Garden over the road - live music at the w.ends. Albert Park behind and St Kilda's beach not far (watch the little penguins come in at night along the jetty). Tram stop outside.
Breakfast deal was good value, unfortunately due to the hotel restuarant also doubling up as a take-away coffee house your drink may not appear until long after you have eaten your breakfast!! Tasty tho.
Excellent stay.

Room Tip: park on road and pop down at 8am to buy a ticket
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
0.4 km away
Mercure Melbourne Albert Park
#103 of 160 in Melbourne
0.8 km away
St. Kilda Junction Accommodation

Been to Park Regis Griffin Suites? Share your experiences!