“Suburban Surprise”

Cuisines: Australian, Bar, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2016

Inner city Melb is spoilt for choice with great pub eateries, which is my only excuse for never having made it to this great pub. Not sure it sells itself as a gastro pub but the meals for our group of 5 were all fantastic.
The Public Classics include a great chicken parma and salad, the crumbed veal cutlet was devoured very quickly, the eye fillet sensational as was the snapper and lentils. Service was great, helped by the fact that it was quiet but we'll definitely go back again

1  Thank 111jenny

Reviewed 19 July 2016

I pass the Rat most days and no matter what time this well located gastro pub is never busy.So enough is enough - finally I dropped in and tried it last Friday night.At first I thought it was going to be slow but our three porterhouse steaks arrived quickly,with excellant chips and salad.Everything was cooked perfectly and with a bottle of red it totalled AUD123.Frankly I could not fault it and was looking for issues.Its easy to park or use the passing tram.I felt the wine list was too narrow.Certainly I will return to try the Parma amongst other things.In the winter the fire is appealing and the bar is bright and cheerful. Subject to more testing I feel it was a find - go and try it!

1  Thank Christopher R
Reviewed 15 May 2016

I have driven past The Water Rat many times working locally. Today I wished that I had dropped in sooner rather than driving past. I could tell that this was a gastro-pub that has undergone a refurbishment. It looked and felt good.
We started with a drink in the main bar. There was a big selection of beers, both tap and craft. Going to the restaurant section, we were met by the chef, really, and heard the menu straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Six out of eight of us chose the roast, either beef or pork. Both choices were a winner. That followed the soup of the day - mushroom with truffled cream. No need for dessert.
There was also a strong wine list.
The Water Rat is doing a great job. It deserved to be a lot busier.

1  Thank LeeHarvey
Reviewed 7 February 2016

Attended a seminar here a week ago and I must say the service was average at best. The place is very modern and welcoming, but I found the service at the bar to be poor. Considering the amount of people that attended for the first and second seminar, I would have thought there would have been more staff behind the bar instead of the 3 were currently serving. I found it to be ineffective since there were at least 50+ people wanting drinks for the second seminar. But to wait 20mins for a drink is unacceptable!! Especially when most people wanted wine.

As someone who has worked behind a bar before I found the staff to be quite rude and irresponsible. I didn't even get " I'll be with you soon as I can...". The staff could clearly see me standing there, decide to ignore me and then serve people who had actually came after me, even when I tried flagging down one for service. I wouldn't have minded the wait if there had been some type of recognition.

All I can say "So much for customer service".

Reviewed 17 January 2016 via mobile

Staying in an apartment in Napier and looking for a good pub - The Water Rat fits the bill. Nice clean contemporary interior with helpful and well informed staff - Jazz was very helpful. The food is prepared from fresh ingredients and well presented and there is a good selection of wines and beers. Well worth a visit.

2  Thank ChefCliveM