As others have said, the Greenhouse hosts a lot of people, so it can seem a bit unfriendly. But everything is kept really clean, and the kitchen is stocked with all sorts of useful cooking utensils, including a panini press! There's definitely enough seating for all the guests, and the tv room is pretty good. Lots of couches, and satellite tv :) And if noone's there you can pop in a video.
Free Wi-Fi is available, but is pretty flakey. It works about 90% of the time, but we did lose contact on a few Skype convos during peak times (usually after dinner).
We didn't have the absolute best night sleeps ever, and were woken up pretty much every day around 6am by the garbage truck picking up the glass recyclables.
The blankets are a little thin, so I had to add my own blanket (from the plane trip, actually) and wear a hoodie to stay warm. The whole hostel was a little chilly, but keep in mind it was winter!
There are lots of fun things to do through the hostel, free bread (with peanut butter, jam, vegemite, and margarine) and cereal in the mornings, and a free pasta night in the winter. I highly suggest taking part in the Sunday footy match if it's available!
You can't really do better for location. The Greenhouse is located right in Melbourne's CBD, so it is within an easy walking distance of many touristy things. You can catch a tram or train to pretty much anywhere, and the hostel is a 3-minute walk to Flinders Street station, which is a major train station.
We stayed in a 5-person dorm room. The lockers are big enough to easily hold two carry-on bags, and you can use your own lock. The room itself was big enough to accommodate 5 people nicely.
As far as hostels go, I guess it is a little expensive. But they have cheaper weekly rates ($25/night vs. $28/night), and it is well worth the money for the location and cleanliness! If you're thinking of staying here, make sure you book in advance because it is a very popular hostel and they are often fully booked!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greenhouse Backpackers is located in the heart of the Melbourne CBD with Flinders Street Station, Federation Square and famous cafe filled laneways less than a five minute walk away.Guests are welcomed with inclusions such as Free Daily Breakfast, Free Unlimited Internet 24/7, Free Walking Tour and more. If you are looking for even more tours and trips, see our in house Fully Licensed Travel Agency for expert experience and the best deals on trips around Australia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA and Odigeo so you can book your The Greenhouse Backpacker reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenhouse Backpacker Hotel Melbourne
- The Greenhouse Backpacker Melbourne, Victoria