The dorms in this hostel are just bloody terrible. They're too small, overly crowded and unbelievably hot with absolutely no airflow. I honestly do not understand, how the hostel has obtained the high rating, it has, with dorms like these.
The best thing about the place were definitely the common areas. The kitchen is big and doubles as an OK work spot. The bar in the basement has a nice feeling to it, and there's a new event on every night of the week.
The location is as central as it gets with all that comes with that - including the bustle and hustle. Melbourne's suburbs are great, and in my opinion a lot more charming than CBD, so being in the city center wasn't really that much of a plus to me, but I can see how it would be for some.
The staff was alright. A lot of staff hang around in the common areas off duty, and it is easy to see, they're having a great time and have a great bond with each other ... But they are generally maybe a little too caught up in this to care about the guests.
The price is outrageous compared to what you get. It's really not good value for money. I mean, the fact that free wifi is not included is justcompletely ridiculous. Would definitely not stay again, unless I literally had no other option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and find out why travellers voted United Backpackers Australia's best hostel at the Adventure Travel Awards in 2014! It's no secret we have the best location in town right opposite Flinders Street Station and only opening in 2013 we offer you brand new facilities, heaps of sweet spaces including our funky basement bar and most importantly great value for money. Our hostel is full of personality with Melbourne's laneway culture, funky decor and quirky art throughout. All this is served up with a great atmosphere, amazing staff, cool events, top notch security and the best pillows in town! Us in a nutshell: • Accommodation for 290 travellers over 3 levels • FREE Wi-Fi in common areas • Every bed has its own power-point, reading light and locker • Sparking clean bathrooms cleaned around the clock • Designer kitchen & dining room overlooking Flinders Station with ovens and heaps of equipment, hot plates and storage • Underground Chill Lounge open 24 hours • Lost & Found our cool as, Melbourne style basement bar open 7 days • Funky TV Lounge filled with beanbags & free DVD hire • 24 Reception manned with a rock star reception team of Melbourne locals • Top class security with swipe card access, lockers in all rooms & CCTV • Cool free events to show you the real Melbourne experience • Guest laundry open 24/7 • Free luggage storage We have a variety of accommodation options to choose from so whether you are looking to share a dorm from 4 to 12 beds filled with your newest friends, or to splash out on one of our private ensuite rooms, you will find it at United Backpackers! All rooms have: • Lockers • Bedside light and power point for your charging pleasure • Lots of space • High quality, comfy beds and linen • Choose between shared or ensuite bathrooms • Swipe card access • Heating & fans (private ensuite rooms have AC) • Cleaning servicing the rooms daily ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, lastminute.com.au, HostelWorld, Odigeo, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your United Backpackers Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elephant Backpackers Hotel Melbourne
- United Backpackers Melbourne Victoria