United Backpackers Melbourne
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 125
USD 96
Radisson
USD 270
USD 225
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 138
USD 125
  • Restaurant
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 123
USD 118
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 133/night.

Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 174
USD 108
  • Room Service
The Langham, Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 272
USD 191
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Crown Metropol Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 280
USD 183
  • Pool
Best Western Melbourne City(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 86
USD 63
Priceline
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 75/night.

Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 138
USD 113
Agoda.com
  • Fitness centre
Oaks On William(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
USD 123
USD 87
Priceline
  • Room Service
All reviewscommon areasfree pancakesbar downstairsbed female dormfree wifibig kitchengreat locationopposite flinders street stationtop bunkcommon roomevery morningfirst floorrooms are cleanfed squaregreat facilitiesair conditioningcentral location
Reviewed 23 November 2016

The inside of the hostel looks very nice and has a nice atmosphere. The dorm was clean and spacious. The bathrooms were very clean with a separate room for the shower. The shower was spacious and the water pressure was good.

There is a bar downstairs which was pretty cool.

I would say the only downside was that there was no free breakfast but still very high value.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
United_Melbourne, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2016

Hey Ramiro!
Thanks very much for the great review!
So happy that you had a great time here at United!
Hope that you enjoyed your trip to Melbourne. We will see you next time you come back.

Cheers!

Reviewed 23 November 2016 via mobile

I stayed at United Backpackers for 3 nights. I arrived in Melbourne at 12am and after quite a long walk (through the heart of the city at 12:30am on a Saturday night) I arrived at United Backpackers on Flinders Street. I was greeted with a warm smile and a friendly chat about my trip in Australia so far. The staff are super friendly and always made an extra effort to answer any questions I had and often with suggestions which really helped me plan my short stay in Melbourne and see as much of the city as I could. The bar downstairs is also a cool spot to grab a beer/cocktail and mingle with other people staying in the hostel. My room was clean and the overall feel of the hostel was a great one! Would definitely go back!!

Stayed: November 2016

Hey Tim!
Thanks very much for the great review mate. Much appreciated!
Really glad that you enjoyed your stay here and got to experience our home in Melbourne.
Safe travels and see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

After such good reviews I thought I was onto a winner... nope!

Staff are very friendly and helpful and the location is great. The room is clean but that's where it ends.

The room is ridiculously hot and stuffy. No air con and the ceiling fans do nothing. We resorted to proping the door open with a rubbish bin to get some fresh air in.

The doors all have automatic closers on them- these are not soft close so you are kept awake by loud slamming.

Hair all through the shower. Very noisy. No WiFi in rooms. No towels and very limited toilets.

For the price paid I have stayed at far nicer hostels.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
United_Melbourne, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2016

Hey Erskie,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.
It's unfortunate you didn't get the experience you were after here at United. Really glad the staff were helpful and you got to enjoy the amazing location. You must have been here on that crazy 38 Degree day out of now where!? We do have A/C rooms on level 3. Did you see reception and asked to be moved at all? I'm sure we could have helped you out.
As for the doors, yes they are self closers for security purposes. It really is on the person to make sure it doesn't slam to hard. I have looked up what room you were in and we'll check that one out, because most of the doors are fine.
As for hair in the showers. The bathrooms are cleaned 3 times a day and with upto 280 backpackers in house we do expect them to clean up after themselves as they should but obvioulsy we can't get everyone. But generally our bathrooms are spotless. Again if you notified reception, we could have had it fixed up straight away for you.
Best of luck on your travels.

Reviewed 21 November 2016

I stayed in 3 hostels during my time in Melbourne and this one takes the cake. I can't think of anything bad to say, so I'll get right to the good stuff.

Hostel is very clean, bathrooms are big and individual, the kitchen is nicely stocked (sharp knives!), the bar has fun communal events, big TV room, outlets at every bed, amazing location.

I'm very happy I stayed at this place. I met a ton of people and the location doesn't get any better. I absolutely recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank taace1i1a
United_Melbourne, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2016

Hey!
Thanks so much for the awesome review, we really appreciate it. So happy that you had such a great experience here. That's what we want so it's great to see that you loved it.
Hope that we can see you and your friends here again soon.
Much Love,

Reviewed 18 November 2016

right in the middle of the city across the road from flinders street train station with everything you need right at your door step .
ask for a room towards the back of the hostel as its a bit quieter.

Room Tip: higher floors to avoid the loudness from the basement bar
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
United_Melbourne, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2016

Hey!
Thanks for the great review.
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
See you next time!