“Amazing hostel”

United Backpackers Melbourne
“Amazing hostel”
Reviewed 23 November 2016

I stayed in a dorm room with a few other people, this place is great, the beds and room
are clean and the downstairs lounge is awesome. I loved the bar and spent a little too
much money there. The kitchen is huge, spacious and you could eat off the floor. I will be staying here again!

Room Tip: make sure to get in early as it books out fast!!!
  • Stayed November 2016, travelled with friends
United_Melbourne, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, 28 November 2016
Hey Jase!
Thanks a lot for the great review mate. Stoked that you had such a great stay with us and got to experience it ALL.
Hope that we can see you again soon.
Safe Travels,
United Crew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 23 November 2016

The inside of the hostel looks very nice and has a nice atmosphere. The dorm was clean and spacious. The bathrooms were very clean with a separate room for the shower. The shower was spacious and the water pressure was good.

There is a bar downstairs which was pretty cool.

I would say the only downside was that there was no free breakfast but still very high value.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2016, travelled solo
Hey Ramiro!
Thanks very much for the great review!
So happy that you had a great time here at United!
Hope that you enjoyed your trip to Melbourne. We will see you next time you come back.

Cheers!

Reviewed 23 November 2016 via mobile

I stayed at United Backpackers for 3 nights. I arrived in Melbourne at 12am and after quite a long walk (through the heart of the city at 12:30am on a Saturday night) I arrived at United Backpackers on Flinders Street. I was greeted with a warm smile and a friendly chat about my trip in Australia so far. The staff are super friendly and always made an extra effort to answer any questions I had and often with suggestions which really helped me plan my short stay in Melbourne and see as much of the city as I could. The bar downstairs is also a cool spot to grab a beer/cocktail and mingle with other people staying in the hostel. My room was clean and the overall feel of the hostel was a great one! Would definitely go back!!

Stayed November 2016
Hey Tim!
Thanks very much for the great review mate. Much appreciated!
Really glad that you enjoyed your stay here and got to experience our home in Melbourne.
Safe travels and see you again soon!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

After such good reviews I thought I was onto a winner... nope!

Staff are very friendly and helpful and the location is great. The room is clean but that's where it ends.

The room is ridiculously hot and stuffy. No air con and the ceiling fans do nothing. We resorted to proping the door open with a rubbish bin to get some fresh air in.

The doors all have automatic closers on them- these are not soft close so you are kept awake by loud slamming.

Hair all through the shower. Very noisy. No WiFi in rooms. No towels and very limited toilets.

For the price paid I have stayed at far nicer hostels.

Stayed November 2016, travelled solo
United_Melbourne, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, 24 November 2016
Hey Erskie,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.
It's unfortunate you didn't get the experience you were after here at United. Really glad the staff were helpful and you got to enjoy the amazing location. You must have been here on that crazy 38 Degree day out of now where!? We do have A/C rooms on level 3. Did you see reception and asked to be moved at all? I'm sure we could have helped you out.
As for the doors, yes they are self closers for security purposes. It really is on the person to make sure it doesn't slam to hard. I have looked up what room you were in and we'll check that one out, because most of the doors are fine.
As for hair in the showers. The bathrooms are cleaned 3 times a day and with upto 280 backpackers in house we do expect them to clean up after themselves as they should but obvioulsy we can't get everyone. But generally our bathrooms are spotless. Again if you notified reception, we could have had it fixed up straight away for you.
Best of luck on your travels.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 November 2016

I stayed in 3 hostels during my time in Melbourne and this one takes the cake. I can't think of anything bad to say, so I'll get right to the good stuff.

Hostel is very clean, bathrooms are big and individual, the kitchen is nicely stocked (sharp knives!), the bar has fun communal events, big TV room, outlets at every bed, amazing location.

I'm very happy I stayed at this place. I met a ton of people and the location doesn't get any better. I absolutely recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2016, travelled solo
1 Thank taace1i1a
United_Melbourne, General Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, 22 November 2016
Hey!
Thanks so much for the awesome review, we really appreciate it. So happy that you had such a great experience here. That's what we want so it's great to see that you loved it.
Hope that we can see you and your friends here again soon.
Much Love,