All reviews errol street communal kitchen shaving cream no lift victoria market budget hotel tram stop hand soap minute walk laundry room body lotion free tram zone small fridge family room air con twin room beds were comfortable
Reviewed 18 July 2017

This hotel is well-run, has helpful reception, a nice and affordable cafe, (I recommend the toast and egg as well as the butterscotch milkshake), and comfortable, clean and modern rooms. If we ever go back to Melbourne (which is unlikely as we'll be living in Lithuania which is far away), we'd probably stay here again if possible. We've travelled all around the world, lived in Yangon, Myanmar for four years, and definitely have countless experiences with hotels, traveling, etc, so we highly recommended and the cafe staff and service provides healthy food and drinks as well as having nice, sociable staff! Please stay here!

Room Tip: Not applicable (everything is/should be fine)
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank AveryPhipps
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

I can not recommend this hotel highly enough. Excellent location to travel by tram or walk to the CBD. Good local eateries and shops. Staff could not do enough to assist. Laundry room on site. Kitchen area for guests use. Fast WIFI.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2017

Nice very clean room & bathrooms. I had no issues with air circulation / wifi (as opposed to some other reviews here). Location is a little bit out of the main city/cbd, but it's close enough to walk down - about 10 minutes away from the first free tram line (or take & pay tram 57 down), and far enough to be away from all that noise of the city. Sky bus hotel shuttle can pick you up/drop you off right at the door step (and many tours pick up from here as well - every tour company seem to know the Miami Hotel well) Receptionists were friendly. The only feedback is that the walls are thin & halls narrow, so everything can be heard - if you have inconvenient neighbours banging doors, speaking loudly as they go to their rooms or singing (yes I'm serious, guy next door was singing at midnight) you will wake up! Didn't bother me too much, but to some this can be a major turn off. I'd definitely stay again when I visit Melbourne again. Great value for money (even some hostels were charging same/or even more for a bunk bed and shared bathroom) - Why pay for that - when you could be paying for your own room.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2017

I rarely give a hotel (or any other service) an rating of "Excellent", but this place deserves it. We stayed at Miami Hotel from 28 to 31 May 2017 and again from12 to 14 June 2017. We arrived rather late (nearly 9 pm) on 28 May, but we were greeted with a friendly smile by Nathan, the receptionist on duty. He informed us about the hotel, the communal kitchen and the laundry facilities on premises. (I wanted to do some laundry, and he informed me that the laundry room had just closed.) Over the course of our 3-day stay we got to meet Mia, Christine and Noe. All of the receptionists we met during those 3 days were friendly, polite and professional. They were well-informed about the city and made suggestions on things to do and on how to get around. They enjoyed their jobs and dealing with the public. (I wish I could say the same about the receptionist who checked us in on 12 June, which happened to be a public holiday in Australia. She was rather condescending to us and to the temporary housekeepers, speaking as if no one knew anything or understood what she said.)

The Miami Hotel is a nice hotel near the city centre. It is a 10-minute walk to the free tram zone, an d on that walk you pass several little shops and some restaurants. You will find many more as you walk along Victoria and Errol Streets. It is not too far from Southern Cross train and bus station. Southern Cross is the pick-up and drop-off point for buses to and from the airport, and it is where the hotel shuttle pick up and drops off guests. The free tram zone gets you to Bourke Street among others. It also takes you to Southern Cross Station and to the docklands marina.

We had Room 5 which was on the ground floor. We asked for a room on the ground floor as there is no elevator and stairs are difficult for me. (A handicap room is available on the second floor, but there is no elevator to get to it. Isn't that ridiculous?) Room 5 has one neighbouring room so it is very quiet. It has 2 single beds which are rather comfortable. There are 2 night-tables between the beds; on one there is a telephone and on the other a clock-radio. There is a heat-pump unit which is controlled by Reception - just call or visit Reception to make it cooler or warmer. The light on the ceiling is not too bright, but couple it with one or both halogen bed-lamps (located in the ceiling above the bed and far enough away not to be a danger) and the room is sufficiently bright at night.

The laundry room is located on the first floor and is open from 8:30 am to 9 pm daily. It has 2 front-load washers which cost AU$3 per load and 2 dryers at AU$2 per load as at our stay. Detergent may be purchased at Reception, or you may buy your own at the nearby grocery shop.

The communal kitchen, open to all guests, is located on the second floor. It has 2 ranges, a microwave oven and 2 toasters as well as 2 kettles for guest use. A limited supply of plates, cups, glasses and flatware as well as pots and pans and their utensils is available. A few dining tables are also available. Posters remind users to clean up, dry and put away anything used in food preparation, and to clean up any mess, so that other guests may use the same in a clean environment. The communal kitchen was clean the one time we used it.

There is a small café located at the hotel. It seems to be open for breakfast only since its hours are 6:30 am to 11:30 am, with the kitchen closing at 11 am. We had breakfast here only once. It was good but on the pricey side: about AU$11 for a bacon and egg sandwich with coffee (and we had a coupon for AU$2 off the price of the coffee!).

Our bathroom had a sink, toilet and a good shower. At the sink, hand soap, hand cream and shave cream were available from dispensers affixed to the mirror.. Dispenser containing shampoo, hair conditioner and shower gel were affixed to the wall. Very good, practical idea to have these dispensers.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Miami Hotel Melbourne. If I return to Melbourne, this is certainly a place I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter. Avoid higher floors if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jrd450
Reviewed 16 June 2017

I will start my review in a very strange way:

I don't know where they find the reception agents: They are all absolutely great!!!

We stayed there twice. At the beginning and at the end of our trip. The second time we checked in the day of a public Holiday. Boy did I ever miss the team we had until the afternoon shift turned. The lady that checked us in was ok but so condescending compared to all the other agents.

Having said that, expect excellent service as long as you don't check in on a public holiday.

The hotel is well located no too far from the Southern Cross train and bus station, so if you use the airport shuttle it will get you to the hotel from the station.

We had a rooms on the main floor because of our difficulty with stairs. The hotel has no elevator.
The room number 5 was spacious and the bathroom was nice and very functional. I was surprised to see, near the sink, the distributors for soap, hand cream and...shaving cream, very unusual, but how practical. The heating/cooling unit is controlled by the reception, so whether you want it on or off, cooler or warmer, they have to make that change. A quick call to reception and it's done. We tried the café which is opened only in the morning. The prices compare to other places around, just more convenient.

The location is near Victoria and Erroll street. The tram is free after approximately a 10-minute walk. There are many restaurants of different kind and type right around the hotel.

The hotel has laundry machines on the 2nd floor and a common kitchen on the 3rd floor. We used the laundry facilities. There are 2 washers and 2 dryers.

For an hotel of its category, the reception staff is really outstanding, even more considering that they are all young people.

Thank you, Nathan, Mia, Noe and Christine for your kindness and excellent service,
I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We liked room 5 a lot. Since there are no elevator this maybe a request to think about.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple