“Comfortable and adequate, but lacks atmosphere”
Review of Jasper Hotel

Jasper Hotel
Ranked #71 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Comfortable and adequate, but lacks atmosphere”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

With such a convenient location, it's a pity they didn't do more with the renovations to create an inviting hotel with atmosphere.

Whilst comfortable and adequate this is a bit of a cold and soul-less place. There are conference areas and other communal spaces downstairs and on the first floor but I never saw anyone there. The lounge area, if you can call it that, looks like a waiting room in a railway station. Seemed hardly ever used.

I understand that this was once a youth hostel. And when you walk inside you'll quickly see that it’s been recently renovated and modernised. Our floor (5th) had been painted in a bright pink and I believe that each floor has a different gaudy colour tone. But unfortunately, bright colours alone don’t create a warm ambience.

Okay so what are the good points?

LOCATION

It's well positioned at the top end of Elizabeth Street just behind the Queen Vic Mkts. It’s an easy, level 15 min walk to the centre of town. There's plenty of pub transport in the area mainly trams and buses outside the markets and it's less than 10 minutes walk to Melbourne's Central railway station if you need to use the trains.

ROOMS

Rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. My room on the fifth floor facing the back was quiet and peaceful. I hardly heard a sound during my four days there. Ample wide windows let in plenty of natural light which was just as well as the electric lighting is abysmal as I will explain later. The king-size bed is large and comfortable and I slept well.

SHOWER and BATHROOM

Nice big bathroom, huge roomy shower and strong water pressure.

APPLIANCES

Air con, TV and paid internet wi fi all worked well and were easy to use. In fact I never touched the air con throughout my stay and it stayed on a very pleasant, cool 21 degrees.

SERVICE

I found all the staff to be pleasant, helpful and polite. Full marks guys.

And the bad points?

LIGHTING

Disastrous. Very poor lighting in the rooms making it virtually impossible to read at night unless you're prepared to ruin your eyes or you’ve brought night vision glasses with you! Luckily my room got plenty of sunshine making it easy to read at least during the day but hell, we're out touring that time and it's nights when we need decent light.

STORAGE

No drawers: Nope, not a single one in my room. Sure there's a decent sized cupboard with plenty of hanging space but the only horizontal storage is the shelf on the top of said cupboard and you need to be at least 165 cm to be able to reach it and what if there are two of you?

There’s no storage space in the bathroom either, only a shelf which means that whatever you put there gets wet.

PRIVACY

Our bathroom door didn't lock properly due to a cracked frame. The venetian-style windows on one side may looks trendy but they’re totally impractical. If one person gets up in the middle of the night and puts on the bathroom light that's sure to wake the partner. Plus it adds to a lack of privacy.

EXTRAS

You'll pay exorbitant charges for any extras. We paid an outrageous $104 to get some laundry done (ok, I should have checked the tariff more carefully but really $104 for a few items is just ridiculous), local calls (which I pay nothing for at home) are 80c ea, a bottle of water from the mini bar is $6 and there's no free internet here. Min chg is $13 for 2 hours.

SUMMARY

Overall though and despite the obvious drawbacks, on balance the good outweigh the bad and I'd be willing to stay here again. Next time I'll bring a torch to read with and will make sure to do my own laundry!

Room Tip: Get a room at the back facing the Queen Vic Markets and as hgh up as poss.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Artfornodriving

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Jasper in January and it was perfect for us.

• Stayed January 2012
Geelong
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stay here regularly and whilst it is not perfect it combines some great points - great location just next to Victoria Market, comfortable and clean rooms (especially the suites), and excellent value for CBD Melbourne. The staff are generally very helpful and the meal/room service is adequate. Parking is offsite but good value and I have never had an issue with this although I prefer onsite parking. Funky colouring and decor but it is not a putoff for me.

Room Tip: MUST stay on the MArket side not Elizabeth St side if you want a good sleep.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Hi AndrewwwGeelong... fantastic to read your comments, thank you! No doubt the Jasper's location next to Queen Victoria Market is a winner whilst our contemporary look and feel hits a positive note with many of our guests. We feel we are good value, especially when you consider the attentive service our team of people give. Appreciate you taking the time to write and look forward to welcoming you back to the Jasper! ...Tony
Bolwarra, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We had arrived at Jasper early and were told by a male reception staff member that our room would not be ready until well after 2pm. Check-in is from 2pm. We signed the necessary paper work, were assigned our room on the top floor and left to have breakfast in the lovely JAPSER restaurant. At 12.30pm we took a chance that our room may have had a 'rush put on it and be ready. (Though other people were checking in as we arrived back at reception), we told our room wasn't ready, though lovely Anna moved us to a room that was ready - on the top floor.
The top floor - well what can I say - the drone of the air conditioning system on the roof permeated the room constantly and no doubt all the top floor rooms. There was no relief. The room itself was delightful, modernly furnished and a good size. The bathroom was a good size but I have to say the tiles in the shower recess were disgracefully mouldy on the floor and walls. I travel considerably for my work and this was the worst I'd seen in a 4 star establishment. I eventually complained about the air conditioning noise and the bathroom issue to reception. My complaint received attention and we were not only moved to another room the next moring we were given a free breakfast. This is hospitality at it's best. The second room we were meant to move to was behind the elevator and obviously noisy (and the shower recess was no cleaner) so we declined that room and settled very nicely on the 6th floor in a room away from the street. Again the shower recess cleanliness was below standard and apart from the top floor noise issue, is the only thing that really lets the hotel down. Having seen three bathrooms in the one visit and each being as filthy as the other, it is obvious the cleaners to be checked and rooms randomly reviewed to ensure the 4 star standard guest expect. It is strange that everything else was clean. No matter what a guest ends up paying for a room at the Jasper, cleanliness should not be a compromise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street no higher than the 6th floor and not behind an elevator. If you...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Hi rebecca50... Many thanks for your comments. Naturally I am not overly thrilled to read of your bathroom experiences and have taken these up with our Housekeeping Department. Whilst there have been some changes in this area recently, it nonetheless does not excuse the apparent issues you had for which I do apologise. The Jasper has an exceptionally good record and reputation in all respects - your housekeeping issues are definitely the exception which are being addressed.
I am pleased though that our Reception Team very capably led by Anna, did the right thing and their best to look after you. As you so rightly pointed out, this is what hospitality is all about.
My thanks for your comments and letting us know. They are appreciated and I do trust we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Jasper when next you're in Melbourne. ...Tony
Sydney
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have fond memories staying here! Travelled down for work. Had a thousand things go wrong and they helped every step of the way.
Was relaxed, friendly and happy to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Hi OutandaboutAus... I really appreciate your review, thank you! No doubt whatsover that our team of people at the Jasper are our greatest assets. Absolutely delighted they went out of their way to assist - it's what we all enjoy doing here. It will be great to welcome you back to the Jasper when next you're in Melbourne.
Thanks for taking the time to comment! ...Tony