“old world charm still there”
Review of The Hotel Windsor

The Hotel Windsor
Ranked #29 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“old world charm still there”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I was booked in to the Windsor to attend a meeting being held in the Park Hyatt 5mins walk away as my employer would not pay the rates offered at the Park Hyatt!
Despite being an ex-Melburnian, this was my first visit to the Windsor. I was warned that my room was small and I may want to upgrade it, but I only used it for sleeping and keeping my things in. It was small and the bathroom very small, but certainly kept in the style of old with modern facilities not intruding into the appearance of the room.
Breakfast was very good and included in my nightly rate. The dining room is very yesteryear and the staff in there very attentive, almost too eager to clear things away.
I also ate a snack and had a beer in the adjoining Cricketer's Arms, was very busy the evening I called in but staff capable and fairly quickly served.
The staircase is superb, despite it not complying with current building standards (there are notices to this effect on every floor) and the general decor of the hotel is very pleasing and comforting, the restoration from a few years ago has done a good job, despite the still creaking floors. I heard that the owners have recently applied to prolong the starting date for more renovations that has the city council concerned, and the owners may close the hotel down if they do not get their variation - that would be a shame.
Location is great for top end of Melbourne, particularly eating places around Little Bourke St and Paris end of Collins St.
Everyone should stay here at least once!

Room Tip: smallest rooms are very small, even for single person - don't consider the smallest rooms if you...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Dear fabsnake,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Hotel Windsor.

To hear that you enjoyed your stay with us is absolutely wonderful and the fact that you were able to enjoy our historic hotel is simply a bonus. As you mentioned a hotel of our age does have it's quirks but it is good to know that this did not detract from your stay with us.

I hope that we can welcome you back to The Hotel Windsor in the near future and as always I am contactable at the hotel.

Like us on Facebook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Port Macquarie
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Windsor on the 13th and 14th of September 2012. I chose this establishment primarily on the basis that they had preserved a piece of Old Melbourne and further that they prided themselves on their SERVICE.

I am disappointed to say that they did not live up to their hype...

I chose the package which included breakfast as we were on business and time was tight - after reading their claims to having the BEST BREAKFAST in Melbourne I thought this was a good decision. However on my first foray I found that ALL bain-marie's contained cold food, ie those containing bacon, scrambled eggs etc, - its interesting to note that Victorian Health regulations state that food must be maintained at 60°C or hotter in a bain-marie - this was definately NOT the case...

Because of this issue and the fact that the bacon had a green hue I spoke to the Dining Room Manager - as I felt it may pose a health risk - I was told that the green hue was because someone had put the spinach spoon in the bacon tray - this is riduculous, and I said so - further research by me shows that it relates to nitrites in the food and while they give meat its fresh color, add flavor and kill toxic bacteria, when used improperly, nitrites create cancer-causing chemicals - so much for management knowing about food... mind you no apologies and no thoughts on how to reassure a paying guest - simply suck it and see.

This debacle was unfortunately repeated when I visited the Cricketer's Bar attached to the motel the following night - after ordering a glass of wine for my guest, who had, had a particularly harrowing day, I realised that I had been given a glass less than 2/3 the size of the standard wine glass, and at $12 per glass I was disappointed - I approached the bar and questioned this and was told by the bar staff that both glasses held the same amount, which was clearly not the case - I then asked to speak to the Bar Manager, enter Ms Leanne [--], and she told me that there was nothing she could do - I said I am staying at the Hotel and paying $400 to do so and I was disappointed in her lack of Customer Service.

I then asked to have the Duty Manager review my complaint, enter Mr De Lon [--] - I stated my case and he was less than impressive - in the end I said if you cant resolve the issue just forget about it.

I have since checked with the winery and the wholesale cost of this wine per glass is around $4.50 - so for $4.50 two managers could not work out it would be simply best to pour a fresh glass of wine and make a happy customer - especially when I had seen several bar staff empty substantial amounts of beer into the discard tray - more than the cost of a glass of wine !!!

After some futher 10minutes of deliberation Ms [--] begrudgingly came to our table with 1/2 a glass of wine - passive aggressive behaviour at its best - this was followed by her and other staff offering free bar food to tables on either side of us but not to us.

In my opinion this was very CHILDISH, UNPROFESSIONAL behaviour...

And as such it has coloured my experience to the point I would suggest to others to find another venue - I am currently considering if I would be better served to send my complaints re the food to the local city council for follow up.

AS for the Hotel Windsor Managment - you should have a record of my complaints and likewise the lack of adequate response - I have travelled the world and find your service to be less than adequate let alone "BEST PRACTICE" - I hope my review challenges you to lift your game - but rest assured you will NEVER have my customage again...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank hamishPortMacquarie
Dear hamishPortMaquarie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Hotel Windsor.

After receiving your review it felt best to investigate your listed points, all of which I have addressed with our Executive Chef and Director of Food & Beverage.

After some investigation I am able to confirm that the hotel only selects and uses high quality Istra smoked bacon. Our meat supplier is also a member of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) who use risk management methodology in food and related industries for the control of food safety hazards to acceptable risk levels. Which means our bacon is free from any chemical processing.

I also must apologise for the way in which your complaint in our Cricketer's Bar was handled and may I assure you that we have spoken to all involved to ascertain what aspects of our service needs to be improved. On the evening of your time in the bar the hotel was offering complimentary finger food and I am sorry that you felt our staff did not continue to offer this after your first serving.

We welcome all feedback from our guest's both positive and negative as this does give us the opportunity to improve our service standards at the hotel.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I just spent a couple of nights in Melbourne for business and chose the Windsor for the first time in a couple of years. I will definitely be coming back. The staff had made an effort to check back on the last time I stayed, remembered my newspaper preference, and welcomed me back. They upgraded me to a slightly bigger room, and even provided a free bottle of wine. The room was spotlessly clean and all the furnishings were in perfect condition. There isn't much I would say could be improved. Compared to similar Melbourne hotels, the Windsor is outstanding value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear KittyMonty,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor and for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

To hear that from the moment you arrived you were taken care of by our team is absolutely fantastic as this is our aim each and every day. I have also forwarded to our Housekeeping Executive your kind words in regards the cleanliness of your room so that sh can share with her team and your room attendant. I am sure thy will be quite appreciative of your kind words.

Once again thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I love the Hotel Windsor especially, but not only, because of it's rich history. It's easy to imagine the hotel being a popular hotel in the early 1900's for the wealthy and the famous. Although it was under threat of closing in the 70's and even being demolished it still holds pride of place in Spring St.

On arrival, my bags were promptly taken. Check in was quick and efficient and my room was ready although it was only 10:30am. I had a standard room which had a queen bed, a desk and a chair. It was an elegant period room which was of adequate size. The bed is very comfortable and with the curtains drawn the room is really dark. It was relatively quiet. The shower is over the bath which may be an issue for some.

We had breakfast in the dining room. It was enjoyable and represented value for money. I love the atmosphere of the dining room and enjoyed eating here.

The hotel is ideally located in Spring St, just opposite Parliament Station and on the corner of Bourke St. It is a short walk to the mall.

Check out was via express check out and the invoice was emailed promptly.

I love the atmosphere of The Hotel Windsor and I will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Dear Has S,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Hotel Windsor.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of an available room early in the morning. If we have rooms available we are more than happy to arrange early check in.

The hotel Windsor is also conveniently located at the Paris end of the city so it is fantastic to hear that you were able to make the most of the location.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor when next in Melbourne.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Staying at the Windsor is an experience in itself.
Old style lobby, from when hotels and theatres had as much charm as a cathederal.
This theme carries through to the rooms. One cannot resist walking the staircases, sitting in the lobby, and poking around in every part of the public areas, being surprised at every turn by a unique object from a past era.
Guest rooms are such that one stands there upon entering one, absorbing the atmosphere.
Very comfortable sleep. Well appointed bathroom.
Public bar has a tad more downmarket feel, with fluroescent posters advertising cheap drinks & the like. When I first saw this from the street I was tempted to tell the taxi to "drive on" and find another hotel.
However, the Windsor was highly recommended, and I'm glad I remained.

There is nowhere like it. If anyone has reason to visit Melbourne (cough, cough) they should stay at the Windsor at least once.

I recommend the Windsor.

Room Tip: I prefer the Windsor, as there is always a taxi waiting out the front. A little touch that makes al...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Charlene M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Hotel Windsor.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our service to be friendly and our room comfortable for your stay. The hotel has a rich history of close to 130 years and it is great to know that you were able to appreciate it.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The hotel Windsor when next in Melbourne.