I stayed at the Sofitel for 9 nights in May 2012 whilst on business. If it wasn't for the obscene internet charges then this hotel would be my new favourite hotel in Melbourne. Having to pay $29.99 for 24 hours of slow to medium internet service is simply unjustifiable. Most of the other hotels I stay at (particularly in Scandinavia) give free, fast internet. Putting that aside (though it is a big bug-bear of mine - WiFi should be free and fast everywhere these days) almost everything else about the Sofitel was great.
The main points are:
a) The rooms are very clean and comfortable, with ultrasoft cotton sheets and duvet covers
b) There's a very nice control pad at the side of the bed to set mood lighting, put on the TV, DVD, etc
c) Breakfast is very nice (although the welcome is very inefficient - the member of staff takes the first customer to their table, then comes back for the next person and so on. Why don't they have one person on the door and then other staff to show guests to their table?)
d) The staff are impeccably polite - particularly the concierge and at reception - and the smattering of French in their greetings is a nice touch
e) There is free WiFi in the Collins Square shopping centre next to the hotel, so the crazy hotel internet charges can be avoided if you're determined enough
f) The location is great - just 6 mins walk to Flinders St Station, 5 mins to the main shops, opposite a wonderful antique bookshop, and easy to find from wherever you are because the building towers above most others
I've tried a lot of hotels in the city (I'm there for 5 or 6 weeks each year) and this ranks pretty high on the list. If they sorted out free and fast internet service then this would be "the" hotel to go to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is at the Paris end of Collins Street, in the heart of the city's premier shopping, dining and theatre district, just minutes from the famous Melbourne Cricket Ground. This award-winning hotel has 363 luxurious rooms that begin from level 36 offering breathtaking views from floor-to-ceiling windows. Each room is complemented by modern furnishings, mood lighting, LED\LCD or Plasma televisions and iPod|MP3 connection. Marble bathrooms offer automated low level lighting and French amenities.Enjoy modern dining in No35, high tea occasions in Sofi's Lounge or stylish cocktails in the Atrium Bar On 35.For meetings and events, Sofitel Melbourne On Collins is one of the city’s most comprehensive integrated hotel conference venues offering 12 individual meetings venues with comprehensive audio-visual services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, Odigeo, Hooroo Pty Ltd, ACCOR, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sofitel Melbourne on Collins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins Hotel Melbourne
- Accor Melbourne On Collins
- Melbourne Sofitel
- Sofitel Melbourne On Collins Victoria