New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing Stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several previous occassions and had very good experiences. I have written a previous review to that effect. My experience on this trip, however, was sub-par, hence the "average" rating.

The hotel is elegant; its facilities are top-notch. I have no complaints about the condition of my room, the comfort of the bed (which is superb), etc.

However, elegant facilities do not make up for multiple service mishaps, particularly at a hotel that positions itself as top-bracket and charges as such. When I am paying what I did for this stay (over $400/night), I do not expect the sorts of service outages I encountered on this stay.

The problems began at check-in. On my last visit to the hotel, I was checked-out by a less-than-hospitable front desk associate. This time, he checked me in. Although the service at the front desk of this hotel is typically excellent, he is a "bad egg:" he is snobby, rude, and exudes a complete lack of warmth and hospitality. Throughout the entire interaction, he seemed irritated with me. He did not welcome me to the hotel, recognize me as a return guest (of either the property or Hyatt hotels, where I have elite-level membership due to frequent business), etc. It was almost a skit on a comedy show about snotty service at snotty places.

I arrived earlier than check-in time. I fully appreciate that hotels may not have rooms available. However, this gentleman did not even go to the courtesy of checking to see if, by changing my pre-assigned room, he might be able to find one that was ready early. While it is not the hotel's responsibility to guarantee rooms be ready early, the employee's lack of willingness to even check is in stark contrast to the experience I have had at this hotel's competitors in Melbourne, where staff members have bent over backwards to get me into a room early after the transpacific journey from the U.S. At those other properties, when a room has not been available, I have been extended the courtesy of use of the executive lounge for a couple of hours; here, the staff member offered no such thing; instead, I was left to my own devices for 2 hours until the room was prepared. Similarly, at other properties, the staff has offered to call my mobile when the room is ready; here, I was told just to "check back in."

Bell service was no better. I arrived by cab, and no bellman approached the taxi. Instead, I unloaded my own bags from the taxi and brought them in. When I asked the front desk staff member if he might store the bags while I waited for the room, he again appeared irritated and glanced outside, as if to say "well, why don't you ask the bellman?" Upon seeing his glance, I explained no bellman had greeted me, and he took the bags.

The service got no better when my room was ready. When I got the key, I was promised that my bags would be waiting in the room. They were not, necessitating a call to the front desk; the operator on the call instructed me to "look in the wardrobe" (they were not there). The bags took a few more minutes to be delivered.

The hotel did not honor my room preferences. As a frequent guest with Hyatt, I have clear preferences on file for a room away from the elevators; instead, I was put in a room right next to the elevator back, next to a meeting room, and next to the housekeeping area. Very noisy.

The spa and gym at the hotel are nice facilities, and the pool is elegant. However, my use of those facilities was less enjoyable than one might hope due to the condition of the men's locker room. At around 7p one night, there were no clean towels in the locker room. The dirty towel bins were so over-stuffed that guests had begun to stack their dirty towels on the floor next to the bins. The showers were full of dirty towels, and the floor was lined with dirty bathmats. It appeared that no attendant had entered the locker room for hours.

The worst part of the stay was on the next-to-last night. After awaking around 5a for several days in a row, I had one morning where my meetings started later and was looking forward to sleeping in a bit. Instead, around 6a, an emergency phone in the staff area next to my room began ringing non-stop. After nearly 40 minutes of this, I called the desk and asked to have the problem resolved. It was not. The ringing continued for 3 HOURS until I placed a very angry phone call to the manager. This is completely ridiculous. Although the hotel compensated me for this misstep, it was still an unpleasant experience.

That compensation involved a day's access to the Park Lounge. While, characteristically, the lounge was elegant, breakfast is not served in the lounge. I find that very odd -- what concierge level does not serve breakfast in its lounge? Furthermore, upon enterting the lounge at mid-afternoon, its tables were littered with empty glasses, coffee mugs, etc. left by guests throughout the day. An attendant coming through the lounge on occasion would easily fix this.

Overall, an unpleasant stay unworthy of the price point and Park Hyatt name. Although the Park Hyatt has won my business on several trips to Melbourne, I'm not sure it will again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank brmusicman
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write comments on Trip Advisor. I must apologise for taking so long to respond but I have been on holiday, returning only last week.

While I can see you like our hotel and its facilities and of course that were a return guest, I was disappointed to read your negative comments in relation to the check in procedure you received. A what I call a "first impressions last" experience which in this case was that of a bad one. I would not like to guess the individual in question as that would elude to our having many like this which I can assure you we do not. In fact I did not think we had anyone like that working here so and with that said I have shared your comments with our front office manager who in turn will ensure his team are fully briefed about this.

I would also like to let you know that your comments about the state of the locker rooms has also been shared with the manager of the spa as that is unacceptable too, as was the continually ringiong telephone which was indeed faulty and has since been fixed.

My apologies once more and I would like to think that we will be able to welcome you back and when we do that we are able to redeem ourselves.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Park Hyatt is a great hotel. There is very little to complain about (other than internet charges). The interior design is a grand and dramatic example of deco design. The rooms are spacious and nicely appointed. I was unexpectedly upgraded to a suite by the front desk simply because it was available. This type of guest service is the norm at The Park Hyatt Melbourne.

I had read reviews on TripAdvisor that the spa and pool areas were closed, but this was NOT at all the case. Both were fully open and functioning as purposed.

The daily High Tea is very nice and a great break toward the end of a workday.

The hotel restaurant is called radii. My stay include the breakfast buffet which was very good and I found that there was something to eat for every taste.

The location of the hotel is great for business or holiday. I would definitely stay at The Park Hyatt Melbourne again. By the way, I also checked out the nearby Grand Hyatt, but much preferred The Park Hyatt. I found it cleaner and not as corporate feeling.

No disappointments other than I dislike paying internet charges.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive, keep in mind that the Catholic Cathedral across the street rings bells r...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I think from reading your comments that it would be fair to assume that you enjoyed your stay. Needless to say I was disappointed to read that the internet charged marred your otherwise positive stay with us. The internet issue is a tricky one as the service is provided to us via a third party and with that, we are charged with each and every connection, the latter of which we then on charge. Of course this is of little interest to you but I would like to let you know that we are always looking into ways to better the arrangement but at this point we are contractually obliged.

Please do let me know when you plan to return so that I can ensure you are well received and looked after.

Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The room was amazing - large and comfortable with every comfort. The staff was terrific.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KJTHiker
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

While your post was short, it was too the point and indeed positive!!

Please contact me via any of my below mentioned contact details when you plan to return, so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

Kind regards,

_____________________________________________
Park Hyatt Hotels
Luxury is Personal
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed at the Park Hyatt, for one night only on a flying trip to Melbourne. Having arrived several hours early we asked the reception whats the possibility of checking in early would be. An hour later (12:30pm) we were advised that our room in ready for us. This was great as having driven from Canberra that morning we were in desperate need of a shower.

All the staff there were wonderful and helped with every query/request.

I would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Melbourne for a short or long period. Stayed in the Park King

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gavin J
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor!

Your positive comments are greatly appreciated and have been shared with the hotel team as it is through positive comments that further cements the emphasis on our delivering a high level of customer service and that going that extra mile can and does make a difference.

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after you.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel now on at least 6 occasions predominantly for business but often extended to include a weekend. There are two Hyatts in Melbourne and I have stayed in both but prefer the Park Hyat. What I love about this hotel is the fantastic location in Melbourne...close to one of Melbourne's great assets, fantastic parks with wonderful great old trees and gardens established in the days when rainfall was plentiful in Melbourne, and a great city was defined by its English style gardens. The gardens are great for morning walks or runs...followed by another of Melbourne's great assets good coffee..the top of Collins Street and the European coffee shop and restaurant in Spring Street are a short walk just across the street and offer the best in coffee and food that Melbourne has to offer. The hotel itself is quiet with very good, prompt 5 star service. Rooms are spacious, marble bathrooms also very spacious, and beds extremely comfortable with high quality mattresses and bedding. I would recommend requesting a room high up at the front to get nice city and parkland views...alternatively rooms higher up at the back have expansive views across parkland and city, with glimpses of the bay and ocean beyond. A good choice all round.

Room Tip: Higher rooms at the front or back of the hotel have nice views...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LizandTerry
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor.

It was most pleasing to read how much you like our hotel and indeed its surrounds. Like you I could not agree more. Then again I suppose I am bias!! That said you painted a great picture to those who have not been to our hotel and thank you again for that.

I write this trusting you are well and wish you a pleasant weekend.

Kind regards,