“Great location, attentive & caring service….and good value too!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

Ranked #2 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, attentive & caring service….and good value too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

This trip was a return to the Park Hyatt after many years absence, preferring Crown Towers in the intervening period. On this particularly weekend, Crown was just too expensive so they lost me.
It’s in a lovely, peaceful location a short walk from the so-called Paris-end of Collins Street. It was a stinking hot day but we strolled into Collins St to shop and go to a movie, with a theatre only a 10 min walk away.
There was a kerfuffle when we checked in. We had booked through a Virtuoso travel agent, the benefits of which are a free afternoon tea (saved us $100), continental breakfast, an upgrade if available and late check-out. Unfortunately this was not recorded in the booking. Not sure if it was agent’s fault or hotel’s, but it was not a battle we needed to have at the start of a holiday. It was eventually sorted after I got our agent to call hotel reception – no easy feat on a Saturday. But I kinda resented having to fight for it….surely they could see it was agent booking and easy enough to check online they were part of Virtuoso network.
The rooms are large and comfortable and well equipped so no complaints on that front. Power points are not easy to find for phone and laptop chargers though, probably my only complaint. The bathroom amenities were an in-house brand too, would have preferred to see some quality brand worthy of Park Hyatt….but a minor quibble.
The “free” afternoon tea in the Lobby Lounge was stellar. They went to great effort to provide me with a delicious vegetarian selection of sandwiches instead of the norm. Service was attentive but I did have to ask for some newspapers twice. At the radii bar we had some great evening cocktails, with a terrific waiter who was well-informed and funny. Even made suggestion of trying cucumber in Hendricks martini in lieu of twist – brilliant! Breakfast buffet there next morning was a great spread. You could upgrade to full hot breakfast for only $8 or $9 so great value as part of package.
Sadly, the pool was undergoing scheduled maintenance so a swim was not possible; neither is there anywhere nice to lounge in the sun – a real pity on a warm summer’s day.
I filled out a feedback request via email on returning home and was delighted to get a personal response from the hotel manager, Sholto Smith. Nice to see management responding to these things.
Overall it was a very pleasant stay and Park Hyatt proved to be a worthy contender to my fave Melbourne hotel, Crown Towers. It represented great value on the Virtuoso deal and we’d happily go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seanno
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback very constructive and indeed your mentioning too that I have already contacted you! I aim to write to everyone guest who shares feedback with the hotel as it is of course great assistance to us while we try to perfect what we do. I did not recall the note about the bathroom amenities but can advise, and with pleasure, that the brand will be changing around the middle of this year to one that comes from America and is specially created fro Park Hyatt Hotels. The other matter I wanted to advise you on is that of our swimming pool. The latter now open and all back to normal. Alas there is never a good time to close such a facility but it really did need some rather urgent works being carried out and now all done and it's looking super again.

I write this trusting you are well and please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Kind regards,

_________________________________________
Sholto Smith
Email: sholto.smith@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed two nights here as part of a conference. It is an impressive hotel with large areas of open space and classy furnishings. My only issue was I arrived at the check in time of 2.00 P.M. only to be told my room was not ready and I would have to wait. The wait extended to an hour. I would expect a five star hotel to have these things ironed out. The saving grace was they offed me a wine to pass the time.
Rooms are seriously large with all amenities. It is the first hotel I have stayed that had a separate television in the bath room so you can lye in the spa bath and watch T V. It is also in a great location, close to the city but in a quite zone.
Everything else was up to the standard you would expect of a hotel of class.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed at the Park Hyatt in Melbourne over Christmas for four nights.
I have reviewed Radii separately as it is run separately to the hotel.
I booked directly with the Hyatt and got a reasonable rate. The booking service was efficient.
I then used the concierge service, as I often do in a hotel of this kind, to make bookings. The system failed here and in fact we ended up without a booking on Christmas Day lunch. Luckily Radii could fit us in or we would have had sandwiches. The failure was really due to the independent management of the Radii restaurant.
Previous reviewers over the last few weeks have made most of the points I would make. Although very impressive with lots of marble in the foyer etc it is a little stark. Rooms are very modern and clean. They do charge for any additional item, so $6 for 350ml of water is a bit steep. There is no excuse that Wi-Fi is not free in the 21 Century. Maid service was efficient and not obtrusive. Room products are L’Occitane and there are plenty of spares. The desk staff were very formal.
The comments made by a previous viewer about the extended bell ringing were true. On Christmas night we had a 15 minute not stop clatter of bells. (I was a bell ringer when I was young). This noise was only mildly annoying.
We had access to the Park Lounge where there is free Wi-Fi, Canapés were provided after six at night, plus tea and coffee the rest of the time. The lounge is very pleasant and one of the better lounges I have been in. A nice place to chill out and read the newspaper, although during happy hour there were hordes of people piling up plates of canapés, most of which seemed to get left on the plates.
Hotel location is good and although 100 m from the top of Collins Street this gives a feeling of leaving the noise of the city behind you. A very pleasant walk of 1km gets you to the action. There are lots of good restaurants around within easy walking distance and these cater for all budgets.
We have stayed here before and I prefer it to many of the other city hotels because it is quieter (church bells excluded). We have also stayed in most of the other city hotels.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ddsheywo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Park Hyatt after getting married there last year. The hotel is amazing – it exudes class and luxury.

Accommodation:
We were fortunate enough to be given a room upgrade by the General Manager (thanks Sholto) to a Club Lounge King Spa Deluxe room. The room was similar to the one we stayed in last year – the king bed was excellent, we had a great sleep. The highlight of the room has to be spacious and luxurious marble floor to ceiling bathroom. I highly recommend requesting a high floor with a amazing view of the Cathedral – we were on level 20, the highest floor. Even though there were 2 weddings on that weekend (read loud music pumping in the lobby), our room was quiet as a library. The club lounge is a must! We had a nice continental breakfast (cold meats, toast, pastries, fruit yogurt etc), complimentary drinks served all day, and canapés and cocktails served between 6-8pm. There’s complimentary WI-FI in both the lounge and in the Club Lounge rooms too which is a nice touch.

Service:
Overall the service was very good, however first impression count. I would have awarded the service higher if the gentleman at front desk did not keep me waiting 15 minutes at check in. Apparently the room was not ready (at 2:30pm) so we had to wait for an usher to bring us up to the club level to lounge until the room was ready.
That said, everyone else we encountered were prompt, polite, well trained and helpful. The ladies in the club lounge were definitely the stand out they will go out of their way to make sure guest’s needs are catered for. A special mention must go out to Sholto for organising a bottle of Chandon and chocolates for our anniversary, that was a nice gesture and made my wife feel extra special – thank you very much that was greatly appreciated! It’s no wonder he is the general manager, the man leads from the front with 10/10 service.

Location:
Around 3 minutes walk from the CBD, this hotel is conveniently located near the Spring Street end of the city. The unique thing about this hotel is that you are so close to the hustle bustle of the city, but at the same time the hotel is nestled in the quiet and peaceful surroundings of the park lands.

Gym & Pool:
The gym was well appointed with all the essential free weights and machines required to keep an avid gym goer happy. It was a little disappointing that the beautiful indoor pool was closed. I had a cheeky look through the blinds in the gym and noticed that it was drained – not sure what’s happening on this front.

Parking:
The valet parking guys at the front are very efficient, there were 2 weddings on the day of our stay and they were very efficient in moving the cars off the driveway. However, I must note that valet is on the expensive side ($45 p/d), there are other options though, parking downstairs in the Wilson car park is around $24 per day and there’s 2P metered parking around the hotel if you can be bothered playing that game.

Overall:
As a local, I must say the Park Hyatt is one of the best (if not the best) hotels in Melbourne. You will not regret staying here, I’ve stayed at 5 star, 5 diamond award hotels around the world and must say that the Park Hyatt can easily compete with the best of them.

Room Tip: High level - Treat yourself to the club level (on L19). Request a room overlooking the Cathedral !
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Love2TravelML8
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post both such great and such a detailed review of your stay here at Park Hyatt Melbourne.

I do not really know where to start as you really covered every aspect of the hotel and its facilities and while I can see there was some disappointment caused due to the pool being closed I think fair to say you both enjoyed every other aspect iof your stay here.

Please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

Congratulations once more on your wedding anniversary!

I write this trusting you are well.

Kind regards,
Sholto Smith (Mr)
Tiburon, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and young children and I just spent 4 days at the Park Hyatt Melbourne. The excellent service team is so warm and intuitive - we felt looked after in every thing we did. The hotel has a stylish and a bit glamourous feel to it -- it feels special and reflects the city itself. Great location for strolling to the CBD and river and public transportation. Pool was closed for renovation but we didn't miss it with the great weather outdoors. Dining room service and club were particularly strong. Would go back in a second.

Room Tip: 1662 was a fantastic suite and 1866 is a killer deluxe king - huge!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your time here at Park Hyatt Melbourne and while our pool was closed for renovations (will re open on 12 March) I think fair to say you all managed to enjoy every other aspect of the hotel. They being our location, service and other facilities.

I am delighted too that you liked room 1866! Certainly a great room with that of superb views too!! While this is not our lead in room type, the latter are not that much smaller (48 square meters) as opposed to 1866 at 60 square meters.

Wishing you all continued safe travels and please let me know when you plan to return so that I can personally look after you.

I write this trusting you are well.

Best wishes,