This trip was a return to the Park Hyatt after many years absence, preferring Crown Towers in the intervening period. On this particularly weekend, Crown was just too expensive so they lost me.
It’s in a lovely, peaceful location a short walk from the so-called Paris-end of Collins Street. It was a stinking hot day but we strolled into Collins St to shop and go to a movie, with a theatre only a 10 min walk away.
There was a kerfuffle when we checked in. We had booked through a Virtuoso travel agent, the benefits of which are a free afternoon tea (saved us $100), continental breakfast, an upgrade if available and late check-out. Unfortunately this was not recorded in the booking. Not sure if it was agent’s fault or hotel’s, but it was not a battle we needed to have at the start of a holiday. It was eventually sorted after I got our agent to call hotel reception – no easy feat on a Saturday. But I kinda resented having to fight for it….surely they could see it was agent booking and easy enough to check online they were part of Virtuoso network.
The rooms are large and comfortable and well equipped so no complaints on that front. Power points are not easy to find for phone and laptop chargers though, probably my only complaint. The bathroom amenities were an in-house brand too, would have preferred to see some quality brand worthy of Park Hyatt….but a minor quibble.
The “free” afternoon tea in the Lobby Lounge was stellar. They went to great effort to provide me with a delicious vegetarian selection of sandwiches instead of the norm. Service was attentive but I did have to ask for some newspapers twice. At the radii bar we had some great evening cocktails, with a terrific waiter who was well-informed and funny. Even made suggestion of trying cucumber in Hendricks martini in lieu of twist – brilliant! Breakfast buffet there next morning was a great spread. You could upgrade to full hot breakfast for only $8 or $9 so great value as part of package.
Sadly, the pool was undergoing scheduled maintenance so a swim was not possible; neither is there anywhere nice to lounge in the sun – a real pity on a warm summer’s day.
I filled out a feedback request via email on returning home and was delighted to get a personal response from the hotel manager, Sholto Smith. Nice to see management responding to these things.
Overall it was a very pleasant stay and Park Hyatt proved to be a worthy contender to my fave Melbourne hotel, Crown Towers. It represented great value on the Virtuoso deal and we’d happily go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Fitzroy Gardens and the cosmopolitan mix of Victorian and modern architecture of the central business district, Park Hyatt Melbourne offers an exclusive sanctuary in the heart of the city. Our hotel in Melbourne CBD provides a warm ambiance and exceptional levels of personalised service and luxury amenities. Renowned for having the largest 240 guestrooms & suites in Melbourne with walk in robes, Italian marble ensuites and open windows, our luxury hotel provides an unparalleled experience of elegant, contemporary luxury. Guests are invited to enjoy the award-winning radii restaurant & bar, the vibrant Tea Lounge and Park Club Health & Day Spa featuring an indoor aquamarine pool, spa, sauna, gym and private sun deck. Our Melbourne hotel is only 22km from Melbourne Airport, and is convenient to most city attractions around the city centre. It is within walking distance to the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), home of the Australian Football League (AFL) and test cricket, The Melbourne Museum and the best boutique shopping, cafes, restaurants and theatre districts. Park Hyatt Melbourne is also ideally positioned just steps from Parliament Station and Melbourne's free tram zone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Agoda, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, lastminute.com.au, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Park Hyatt Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Hyatt Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Hyatt Melbourne
- Melbourne Hyatt
- Park Hyatt Melbourne Victoria