“Fit for a king” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Hyatt Melbourne

Ranked #6 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
“Fit for a king”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed at Park Hyatt Melbourne for a nice 3 day getaway. Got upgraded to a spa room with huge bathroom, high floor and nice views of the city. Club access was delightful and the views from the club lounge of the city were amazing. Best tip would be to utilize the club lounge during the day for a great view and coffee. The tv in the spa was a real treat too, made us feel like rockstars. Already planning our next trip back for early Feb and can't wait!

• Stayed December 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SholtoSmith, General Manager at Park Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read how much you both enjoyed your stay here and that you enjoyed the room along with its facilities! Agreed the TV's in the bathrooms are a major asset, as are the amount of rooms we have with Spa baths.

Please contact me when you plan to return so that we can make you both feel like both royalty and rock-stars again!!

Kind regards,

Luxury is Personal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I was actually quite disappointed in the Park Hyatt. My partner and I went to Melbourne for our one year anniversary and wanted to do something special. For the price I paid (I think around $330 a night) I expected the decent service. While the rooms was nice, with a comfortable bed and a large bathroom with spa one incident spoilt our experience here. We thought it would be a really nice idea to purchase a picnic basket the hotel offers and go into the parklands for lunch. The picnic basket was about $100 plus you pay a $100 deposit that you get back once you return the basket. The food in the picnic basket was generally very good except when we opened our salad to our horror we found a snail inside. We don't usually complain but we took the basket back to management and politely pointed out the mistake and the girl at the desk was very apologetic and offered us either some chocolates or champagne to be sent to our room as my partner doesn't really drink champagne we said we would love the chocolates. However late in the evening our chocolates still hadn't arrived so my partner contacted reception and the person on the desk said they would send up both chocolates and champagne right away. Then about five minutes later a lady who I presume was a manager called back and questioned my partner about the incident. While she wasn't outrightly rude she was very bunt and I was annoyed that she felt the need to question us after the we had found the snail in our food and told us this was because the lettuce was fresh. I don't care how fresh the lettuce is I don't believe it is unreasonable to expect snails to not be present in a salad. She did sent up a bottle of champagne however as I previously mentioned we had been given a choice and had asked for the chocolates since my partner does not really like champagne. To top it all off when we checked out luckily my partner checked the bill as they had failed to refund the $100 deposit for the basket.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry for not responding sooner and note that your report dates back to May of 2011. That said, it is apparent that we fell short in proving you the high levels of service synonymous with Hyatt Hotels & Resorts. I am of course referring to the salad and indeed the way the incidence was handled. That and the fact that matters were made worse when we failed to deliver what was then promised to compensate for the incidence that took place earlier.

I would hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you both back to the hotel and that if you did return that we could redeem ourselves.

Please contact me when you plan to return so that I can personally look after your accommodation requirements.

Kind regards,

Vic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

There is no denying the Park Hyatt is starting to show its age but being our Hotel of Choice in Melbourne we are never disappointed.
5 Star in all areas.
Radii never disappoints, nor does the Day Spa and wet areas....although there were a few loose/missing tiles recently in the pool spa recently.....odd.
Business and pleasure we are there at least a dozen times a year.... always leave smiling.

Room Tip: all are good
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Park Hyatt Melbourne. Your feedback is certainly appreciated and will be shared with my team.

I also noted your comment about the pool and am happy to advise that we are about to close it to restore/repair the tiling and some other areas that need to be addressed in that part of the hotel. The works to take around three to four weeks and will commence on the 16th of February. So and that said I would hope that when you return you will see the improvements, while all very subtle, that have been made.

Please do not hesitate to contact me when you wish to return. All of my details are listed below and I would welcome contact from you.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed here for anniversary for one night only.
We got upgraded to Diplomat Suite which was AMAZING.
Staff at front desk sooooo great -after all - they upgraded us so how can I complain!
The Hotel is in a great area.
Near Beautiful Parks, Gardens and minutes from all the CBD happenings.
Spa, Pool, Bar all very nice and is 5 star all the way.

My only negative: the hotel is a little outdated. Feels very 90's..... If modern is what you are after then I am not sure this Hotel is for you. Its Classic, beautiful, but feels a little old school.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor!

Your comments appreciated and I am thrilled that we were able to make your anniversary even more memorable by that of upgrading you both to one of our Diplomatic Suites! Both are such stunning rooms. Thank you too for also praising other aspects of the hotel. That said I am sorry you found the hotel to be a little out dated but I think two of the words in your your last sentence summed us up, they being "Classic & Beautiful!"

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to return. All of my details are listed below and I would welcome contact from you.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

After booking a terrace suit for four nights from boxing day onwards we arrived to be told that they needed the full rate up front with $100 per night for security on credit card, as we wanted to pay cash this caught me off guard (never been asked for that at any five star hotel I have stayed at).

The terrace suite is very overpriced at $850 a night including breakfast, there is alot more terrace than suite, after our first nights stay I went to the front desk to express my displeasure at the room.

This Is where the stay improved, Christian the duty manager came up to our room asked what the issues where and then went about fixing them, you need a guy like this in your business, excellent work Christian! Moved up to a suite the stay improved but this hotel only gets things 75% right, from slow and limited buffet breakfasts to having to ring to get the room made up. Overall we had a good stay but I wouldn't return to stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Trip Advisor. I would normally respond sooner but I have not been able to log in to the system to do so. Fortunately the system glitch has been fixed and now I can.

I was of course very disappointed to read that you really did not enjoy your stay here at Park Hyatt Melbourne. The only saving grace being that of the positive experienced you encountered with Christian. The latter I have shared your comments with as it is this kind or behaviour that we encourage within our team, so reading what you wrote really was like "music to my ears." Of course that does not alter the fact that you left feeling your stay could have been a better one. With that said I would hope that we would be able to welcome you back to the hotel to see if we could redeem ourselves.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you. All of my details are listed below and I look froward to hearing from you.

I write this trusting you are well and look forward to welcoming you back to Park Hyatt Melbourne in the not too distant future.