“Mixed opinion on the stay here” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #30 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Mixed opinion on the stay here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

The service from the start to the finish of the checkin is a delight to be involved with but that's where it ended. I was surprised at how small the rooms are and who was the person who thought putting the TV on the side wall? It just doesn't work! Even the way you place the furniture indicates it doen't work and why at night when you turn the bed down do you only leave one bottle of water when there are two names clearly staying there. I have heard of saving money but really put two in or don't worry it just makes the hotel cheap. The swimming pool are wasn't inviting the Spa didn't work the pool was warmish but a little on the cold side as it was a freezing day. The out door garden was amusing I do not believe you use the herbs from there as it is so overgrown. I was also told by a staff member that you bring the food in precooked so I guess that explains it. We were locked out of our room after our swim. The maid said not my problem call. Call who she ran away I found the phone outside the lift called down and was told to come down. As I had wet hair and was in a gown this wasn't an option, So why did I have to argue for someone to unlock my room which my keys wouldn't open. This took over 30 minutes. Service? HMMMMMMM. So would I stay there again? I doubt it, it was small, dark, noisy and not the most pleasant 5 star experiecnce I have had in a Melbourne 5 star. But hey we are only 2 people who stay every couple of months so we are nothing to a hotel like this but I wouldn't recommend it usnless you want to pay for extra's that are automatic at the other hotels. Pity as the building is stunning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lisa S
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear Lisa S,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your detailed feedback. I would like to take the chance to assure you that all of our guests are important to us and I would like the opportunity to discuss some of your points with you further. May I send you my contact details, and I would like to ask you to please make contact so that I can hopefully resolve some of your concerns. I hope to speak with you soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Craigieburn, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

I've stayed here three times in the past few months and have had a great experience each time. The rooms are in a basic, modern design and are comfortable but, when combined with the older Victorian building that contains them, clearly speak "Melbourne", and that's one of the things I like best about InterContinentals. They always seem to taylor the hotel for its surroundings.

The basic rooms are nice enough but very small and have little place to put a suitcase. The Premier King (I think that's what they're called) are very spacious, have a hot tub built into the bath and a TV in the bathroom mirror.

Overall this hotel is of the same calibre of the middle end InterContinentals and has facilities and decor to match. There have been minor problems on some of my stays but they have always been dealt with promptly and professionally.

There are two things that set this IC apart from its competition, however. The Club Lounge and the staff.

The Club Lounge has the feel of an old cigar lounge and has all the usual things you'd expect as well as some excellent cakes at afternoon tea and canapes in the evening.

The staff, in the lounge and in general, are all excellent! From resolving minor billing issues to booking movie tickets to general check in/out and lounge experiences, the staff have always been fantastic. Eileen in the lounge and Stephanie at the front desk have always been especially helpful. Great work girls!

For those not familiar with the area, The Rialto is in the heart of the CBD, within walking distance to both Flinders Street and Spencer Street (Southern Cross) train stations, Crown Casino, the Aquarium, shopping, great bars and cafes, etc and a short taxi ride (or moderate walk) to most of the sporting venues like the MCG.

Room Tip: Parking is expensive and the hotel is centrally located so think about your need for a car and leave...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear medic51vrf,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your feedback. I was delighted to read your comments about the hotel team, and I will be sure to share this with them.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
KL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

We enjoy the fact that this hotel is housed in a very nice building in the business district of Melbourne. It is centrally located and the service is good. I like spacious room. All the staff were very helpful and both our check in and check process was a breeze. Even though we arrived at the hotel as early as 7am and our official check in time is at 2pm, since there was room available, they checked us in early so we can have an early rest before we went out to explore the city taking into account their suggestions.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank melmel75
Dear melmel75
Thank you for sharing with me your feedback, I was so happy to read that you had a wonderful stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a suite that was part of one of the old turrets. The character of the room was excellent, the space was huge and the fittings and general quality was outstanding. This was also a club room which gives you complimentary access to the club lounge which is very enjoyable with free breakfast, hot beverages throughout the day and canapés and drinks in the evening.
If I had anything negative to say about the place it would be that the room's scheme is a little on the dark side, especially considering that the original windows don't let a huge amount of light in. Also the lighting in the room seems unnecessarily complicated to operate and that there was a bit of street noise, but I guess that's to be expected in the city on a Saturday night.
If you can afford a club room it is highly recommended and worth the extra in my opinion. Perhaps explore the option of becoming an Ambassador member as it gives you a free upgrade.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear gerardregan,
Thank you for sharing with me your feedback regarding your recent stay, I was so happy to read that you enjoyed the character of the hotel, it is indeed very unique. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the in room lighting system, I will be sure to pass this on.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed here for two nights while on business in Melbourne.

From check in to check out the experience was 5 star all the way. The rooms were terrific and no short cuts taken.

Staff were all great

Location particularly good if you are wanting to be near docklands area.

Will be back!!!

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear ozvpm_andy,
Thank you for your wonderful comments, I was so happy to read your feedback, particularly your lovely comments about the hotel team – I will be sure to share your feedback with them.
The team and I hope to welcome you back again soon.