“We liked it”

Ranked #37 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Victoria
“We liked it”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

What we expect from a five star hotel. Nothing stood out but everything was well done. I had a drink in the bar on my own and the staff were welcoming and friendly. The rooms are small but modern and clean. The television positioning is mentioned regularly on tripadvisor but is okay to watch from bed. The rooms face into the central area of the hotel and I was a little disappointed you could not go out onto the small balcony but I understand why. We went on the tram car restaurant which was a short walk or taxi (weather was typical Melbourne in winter). Good location for restaurants, trams, Etihad stadium etc. The blinds are fantastic and the room dark at all hours meaning a sleep in was assured. We didn't eat in the restaurant but the breakfast downstairs was okay but cramped when inside the hot food area. The front desk staff were attentive and the bell desk always smiled and offered assistance. Overall a good stay and we would go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear headinajar,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be welcoming, attentive and friendly and that you liked the location of the hotel. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the hot food area during breakfast service, I will ensure that this feedback is passed onto the relevant department.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards,

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The Rialto provide the usual high Intercontinental ambassador standard. Prior to our arrival I had emailed arrange a flower delivery to our room for our wedding anniversary. As well as the usual upgrade the hotel treated us to an excellent bottle of champagne and a delivered a stunning bouquet of roses as requested. The room was very comfortable - we spent a very enjoyable weekend there prior to a busy week in Melbourne.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul M
Dear PaulM,

Thank you for your positive review, I was happy to read that you had an enjoyable weekend celebrating your anniversary. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The Rialto feels like a 5 star hotel - doorman, bell boys, ambiance in the lobby but it just does not quite meet the grade. Whenever I stay here there always seems to be a queue at reception for check in/out. More staff at peak times? In room check in? This does not seem to happen with the same frequency at other hotels.
The rooms are comfortable although I fully agree with a previous reviewer who questioned the layout. There is nowhere to watch tv except the bed, the giant desk is overkill and no ipod dock. The bed however was fabulous and I had a great night's sleep.I was a bit disappointed that there was no bath - surely this should be a standard for all 5 star hotels?
The highlight of my stay was my spur of the moment trip to the spa where the lovely Rita and the decor transported me from cold, grey Melbourne to tropical Bali with a fantastic massage. Highly recommended an reasonably priced.
I tend to alternate between the Rialto and the Crowne Plaza for my regular Melbourne stays and although the Crowne is not as glam, it seems to operate more smoothly and the rooms have the advantage of not opening onto an atrium (I am never sure if this works for me - promotes a mild form of claustrophobia). I am back at the Rialto this week so I will see how the operations fare this time.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear indiga_11,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I was please to read that you had a good nights sleep at the hotel but disappointed that you didn't have the wonderful experience that we aim to provide for our guests. We really value your feedback and continually aim to improve our guest experience.

We are very pleased to hear that you will be coming back to stay with us this week. I would be keen to greet you personally and discuss how we can make your stay even more enjoyable next time. I will send you a private message with my email address and encourage you to contact me.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Rude and distracted staff overall. They see you around hotel and don't even greet you. Not something we would expect from a 5-star hotel. Check in receptionist chatted with colleague rather than attend us, bell boy dropped bags and left, concierge couldn't even recommend and book a table for us after making promises he would. Very disappointing

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank HDaB
Dear HDaB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was disheartened to read that you left our hotel disappointed. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with your experience and welcome you to contact me so that we can discuss the details of your stay.

I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again to show you the service that we strive to deliver to all of our guests. Should you have the chance to return to the hotel please contact me directly so that I may assist with your booking, I will message you my email address and I invite you to please contact me.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 26 May 2012

You can pamper yourself in this great but expensive downtown hotel.
It is a historic building converted into a hotel, and the lack of exterior windows in some rooms is its biggest weakness.
If you decide to shell out $315/night (internet is extra at $30/day, same with breakfast) make sure you go to the Eclipse Café on the street level – and try their delicious cappuccinos… The Café is a separate business and is not part of the hotel, but it sure adds to the great experience. Personally, I think their coffees beat Italy hands down!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dman_DW
Dear Dman_DW,

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was pleased to hear that you had a great experience and enjoyed your coffee at Eclipse.

May I suggest that if you are looking to purchase internet and breakfast upon on your next visit, that you upgrade into a Club InterContinental room? As well as being a superior room type, the Club InterContinental Lounge also includes breakfast, afternoon tea, evening drinks and canapés as well as Internet access and use of our iPad. Most of our guests find this to be very good value if you will be using these services.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.