“A wonderful holiday - with added fun!”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #35 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Gunnedah
“A wonderful holiday - with added fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

My husband and I spent 5 nights at this hotel last week. We can not speak more highly of the service: check in staff, 'bell boys' (for want of a better expression!), concierge; everyone was welcoming, efficient and helpful. We were very impressed. The room we had was lovely (one minor disappointment was that there was no bath in our king bed room, but I got over that quickly) and the block out blinds made the room pitch black - exactly what you need when away from the children and wanting to sleep in.
The only minor problem was that we were there last Sunday when the hotel was without power for about 5 hours. When we checked in late the night before, the manager on duty came and explained what was going to happen and issued us with a glow stick. We already had plans to be out for most of the day and ended up only being in the hotel for a little while in the early evening before we went to the movies. The staff were very efficient and helpful in what was a difficult situation. We were escorted to our room so we could get there safely and there were lots of glow sticks around (and the staff had torches I think). My husband ended up playing 'Star Wars' with one of the staff (how embarrassing!!). We were very impressed with how this situation was managed by the staff.
Thank you to everyone there. It was a great break.

2 Thank Melissa O
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Melissa O,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your wonderful feedback. It pleased me so much to read your kind comments about the hotel team and I will be certain to share this with them.
I would also like to thank you very much for your great comments about the power outage evening, this was a very difficult challenge for the team and your support was very much appreciated while we managed the situation.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is one of my favourite hotels in Melbourne.
I've stayed here a number of times and have always been happy with the service and the quality of rooms/food.
My Last business trip I flew my partner down with me and we stayed here, she was hopeing for a Spa bath and was a little bit dissapointed when she realised there wasn't one.
I called reception and they advised they could upgrade us to a suite with a bath :)
The concierge was helpful as always and the breakfast good.
I'll be back soon :)

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, you never know!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Denis F
Dear Zimbyzim,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me your fantastic review. We are so pleased that on this occasion we were able to accommodate your upgrade request. and that you and your wife had a lovely stay.
We hope to see you again soon.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Celebrating my wife's 40th birthday, we recently booked a club room at the Intercontinental Melbourne. We expected to have a nice experience, but did not expect to have an amazing experience. I mentioned in my booking request that it was my wife's 40th and staff went "beyond the call" to make our stay a pleasurable and memorable one. The room we were given was probably the best I have stayed in, so much so we didn't really feel the need to leave during our stay (other than wandering down a flight of stairs to the club lounge)! Fantastic time all round and it excelled even my high expectations. Thanks to everyone who made our stay memorable. As far as I am concerned this is the hotel of choice when in Melbourne.

2 Thank David C
Dear David C,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your review and may I please take this opportunity to wish your wife a very happy birthday! Special occasions indeed deserve a special experience and I am so happy that my team and I were able to provide this to you.
The entire hotel team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon, hopefully before your next birthday!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

i had a two night stay with my girlfriend and we got everything we hoped for and more...i cant wait to stay here again, its right in the centre and close to everything.
staff are great, friendly and they know exactly what they are doing.
food was excellent and the bar staff were great!!
the rooms are designed for comfort and we enjoyed the relaxed style :D

STAY HERE :D

Room Tip: everything is great
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank michael f
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear mike f,
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful review. I was so happy to read of your great experience and we look hope to welcome you back again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

As a previous guest and a recent visitor to other Intercontinental Hotels, the Intercontinental Melbourne Rialto still exceeded expectations and made for a great Easter stay!

Checkin was a pleasure and was quick; our room was ready in the morning, around 11AM. We were given a room on the newer side of the building (the opposite side to the Club lounge). It was a corner / end room at the rear of the hotel. Excellent for us; it had a view of a sliver of the Yarra and of onstreet parking.

Room was at least 25M square, excluding the bathroom, which was quite a lot larger than our room on the other side of the hotel, previously. In excellent condition.

Intercontinental Hotels have excellent, large bathrooms and this was no exception. Easily large enough for two people to use at oncel luxurious and with excellent amenities.

King bed is as large and comfortable as we ever have experienced. Happily, I was extremely lucky to have a car space become available outside of our room, so parked there instead of the hotel's concierge parking or the parking station up the street.

After a great stay after a good night out, we enjoyed a breakfast better than I was expecting. On a par in terms of food quality with Nuevo37 at the Hilton (see my Hilton South Wharf review).

The most outstanding difference between the Intercontinental Melbourne and the Hilton South Wharf Melbourne is the ambience of the hotel, mostly as a result of the hotel's large staff working hard to be available and willing to help guests. See my review of the Hilton when this obsession with customer service is absent!

While we may have lucked out with the room, we did not need luck here - the staff made us feel great staying here and I could see that all of the other guests were impressed, too.

The Intercontinental Melbourne has impressed us - again and upheld the hotel's great reputation.

I do not understand why this hotel is not higher in the ratings for best Melbourne hotel; it may be due to its focus more on the business traveller than the leisure traveller - but I am much happier as a frequent ICH guest than I was as a member of the Hilton program - in Australia at least!

I can't fault the hotel or its services at all. Well done - I will consider this hotel my #1 choice for a Melbourne five star and look forward to my next stay.

Minor gripe: From the information I had at the time of booking, I was expecting to see points in my account for this stay, by now. Thanks.

Room Tip: I don't know how to choose a good room, but the end rooms are best in my opinion. Having IC Amba...
1 Thank Ben B
Dear BiziBB,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me such a thorough and glowing review and may I wish you a belated happy Easter!
It made me so happy to read your review, particularly your praise for the hotel team and please be assured that I will share this with them. As a relatively new hotel in Melbourne we do aspire to continue to improve our ranking on Trip Advisor and we will only achieve this with guests like yourself taking the time to share their reviews, so for that I thank you.
Regarding your comment about your points, I would like to help you with this if I can, would you mind to please contact me directly with the details of your membership (please remember to clarify if this is Priority Privilege, Priority Club Rewards or InterContinental Ambassador) and I would be only too happy to assist you with investigating this. I will message you my email address.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.