“Great location, friendly, helpful service”

InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
Ranked #43 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Southland
“Great location, friendly, helpful service”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I have read a number of the reviews on the hotel and agree with some comments made but all in all we had a great experience at the Intercontinental. I found the staff friendly and helpful, the concierge desk was able to point us in the right direction for dining and shopping with a map provided. The check in was prompt and easy and our luggage was brought to our room quickly. We also liked the remote control blinds, the history of the building and the way it had been converted to accommodate the hotel. Our only gripe - we agreed that the main restaurant was chilly - too chilly for evening dining (thank goodness for Merchant tucked away just off reception). We also felt breakfast was expensive compared to other hotels even for a continental option but the food was nice. I also agree that some aspects of the breakfast buffet needed replenishing with more enthusiasm and more promptly but this didn't detract from our overall stay and it is certainly a great place to use Priority Privilege vouchers. The room and bed were comfy and having a normal shower instead of the over the bath affairs that you see in many Crowne Plaza's was a bonus (would have just preferred the setting wasn't on the dumper option instead of the wall option as I got caught out with that). All in all, I would stay here again and who really needs a room with a view when most of the time you are just there to sleep - appreciate the history of the place and take time to look at some of the old photos and plans. We also took advantage of the business centre which had free internet access and can sometimes be better than bothering with wifi.

Room Tip: Higher up is better
1 Thank NZTraveller20
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear NZTraveller20,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your thorough review and thank you for your feedback regarding the air conditioning in Alluvial Restaurant, I will certainly share this with the engineering team.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stay at the Intercontinental Melbourne on a regular basis during business trips.I find the quality of service very good,including the fact that the hotel`s systems and staff evidence the capacity to recognise regular customers.The quality of all amenities is good as is the quality of food acroos the hotel`s various facilities,including room service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark M
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Mark M,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review and I am so glad that we have delivered you consistently great service during your stays with us.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We are Priority Privilege members and always use the vouchers in Perth. We decided to branch out and use them in Melbourne. I emailled the hotel first explaining what I would like. Sara replied with several choices and ways to capatilise our vouchers and several options with prices to help us decide.I rang to thank her and go ahead with my choice.Again Sara emailled everything to do with our stay which was much appreciated.All set for our dream holiday.We were welcomed into the Club room by Yiriru with bubbliness and enthusiasm which again was welcome.The staff especiallyEileen,Janice and the Guest Relations Manager Kishor were extremely helpful making our stay magical.The upgrade was a bonus and the bed turn down with chocolate a great touch.Everyone at the hotel always greeted you which is great and a feeling of being part of a family.The gym/pool were a good size and very clean and accessible.Thank for a magical and memorable stay we would love to come back. (soon)

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a club room gives you food all day long included.No extra costs and too much food.
1 Thank Maureen L
Dear Maureen L,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review. It warmed my heart to read that you had such a great experience on your stay. Sara, Yiriru, Eileen, Janice and Kishor and indeed very special people and assets to the hotel team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, and hope it isn't too long until the next visit.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This is really a first class hotel. The staff are forever smiling and helpful and the hotel is very well located. I travel a lot and the Intercontinental is my preferred hotel in Melbourne. The rooms and service are excellent, the beds are extremely comfortable and great IPod compatible technology. The staff always go above and beyond to ensure a great stay everytime. From pleasure to work, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Uwe2012
Dear Uwe2012,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful feedback. It made me so happy to read that you had a lovely stay and I do sincerely appreciate the kind comments that you make about the hotel team, I will certainly share this great feedback with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I booked this hotel for an overnight getaway for my partner and I. While we have both travelled extensively overseas and within Australia, he had never bothered to stay in a hotel in his native city. I thought for his first experience I'd book a hotel that was supposed to be a 5-star establishment.

Our stay didn't begin well. Firstly I committed a monumental error when I booked and put the incorrect dates. So when I went the front counter on Sunday around 2:30, I was told that I had been deemed as a “no show” and that there was nothing that could be done because I’d booked through an external agent (Wotif). I was advised that I could book another room but I would be charged the price again. I was of course in shock at my error and was not impressed by the lack of empathy provided by the woman who served me initially.

After conferring with my partner, I went up to the front desk to speak to the same woman at check-in and was again advised that while there was a room available she couldn’t do anything.

After confirming this with my partner I went up to the front desk for the third time but to a different woman to confirm that we could pick up the car which had already been parked at the hotel car park. I received a completely different service experience from this member of staff than I had from the other woman.

This staff member was sympathetic and warm. She explained in more detail why she couldn’t change the date and booking details on the hotel system and suggested we ring Wotif then and there to see if they could help us. In relief that I could take some action, I rang Wotif who in turn contacted your hotel to change our check in dates.

Marie provided the type of service that I had hoped to associate with a hotel that claims a 5 star status. She was helpful and sympathetic and projected a genuine friendliness that was severely lacking with the first woman I dealt with. I think It’s when things go wrong that a hotel truly proves it’s worth and if it wasn’t for Marie, I would have been disappointed with my initial impression.

Fridge in Room:
Although it may seem like a small detail, the fridge in our room wasn’t working. We were preparing to raid the mini fridge and discovered that the beers were still warm. Maintenance did attend to the problem after we waited 20 minutes.
Due to the fridge not working, we requested Room Service to chill a bottle of champagne that we had brought with us in the hotel fridge.
The following morning when we requested the champagne to be brought up, Room Service delivered it but attempted to charge us for our own bottle of champagne! I explained the situation and I wasn’t billed.

Buffet Breakfast:
My partner and I decided that the lure of a good buffet breakfast was worth more than an extended sleep in so we made the effort to go downstairs to the restaurant. I had read good reviews in Trip Advisor about the quality of the breakfast which had helped me make the decision to book the hotel.

Much to my disappointment the food in the bain marie was cold. By the time I got my food to my table it was beyond cold. The only warm item I got on my plate was when I went back to get a fresh omelette made.

The hotel itself was striking and visually beautiful. I knew from other reviews that the external views would be limited so was prepared. The room was beautiful for a city hotel. I liked the detail of the the automatic blinds and the doorbell on the room for room service or guest to ring instead of banging on the door. The bed was comfortable and the other amenities were great.

However, when simple details like having a helpful check-in and having a warm breakfast is missed how can it be deemed a 5 star experience? Even a 4 star hotel we stayed at in a remote part of Queenstown offered fresh coffee and a French press plunger and not simply an instant Moccona. Also, considering that many hotels make wi-fi or internet access freely or cheaply available, the $9.95 charge per hour at the hotel seemed excessive.

Overall I was underwhelmed by my experience.

1 Thank MissMMac
Dear MissMMac,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your thorough and complete review. It was disheartened to read that your stay was less than perfect and please accept my most sincere apologies for this. I do thank you though for your constructive feedback and please be assured that I will share this feedback with my management team and relevant department heads.
I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel so should you have the opportunity to return please contact me directly to assist you with your booking, I will message you my email address through Trip Advisor.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again.