“Amazing Breakfast!”

Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 5 November 2017

Food exceeded expectations. Breakfast particularly is amazing! Bacon is really good & the sausages are lovely. They have a meat station, fruit nut smoothies and juice, hot breakfast, omelette, Chinese breakfast, gluten-free station with cereals cakes & breads, danish crepe and pancake station.

first booking we were in room 1512 which had a beautiful view & far enough from the lifts. nice and quiet.

we wanted an extra night so our third night was in 2701. Room right next to lifts we heard the lifts all night and for some reason we heard people using the bathroom all night. The view was not as good despite being on a higher floor.

recommend 1512.

interestingly neither of the rooms had an iPod dock or anywhere that we could play music through speakers ~ we were surprised by this.

A really special highlight was a staff member called Marty on the motor level made a note that it was my birthday. the staff brought up a little cake for me, a couple days into my stay, and that was a real highlight and so thoughtful! ~ thank you so much Marty!

Dry cleaning service is super fast and thorough.

Room Tip: 1512 - good view. quiet room.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,466)

Reviewed 3 November 2017

The room was nice with a good view. The bathroom was also really nice and the amenities in the room were all of a good standard. The desk service was excellent too.

The location is close to everything in the city and we were able to walk to the theatre and restaurants.

We didn't get the breakfast so can't comment.. maybe next time.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luxurythrill
Reviewed 3 November 2017

Clean, smart and in a fabulous location close to all the major sites and transport hubs. Was perfect for a business location. Nice bar and chic feel to the place in the evenings. Gym was excellent and very well equipped.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
1  Thank H6318ICandrewf
Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

I had been looking forward to this holiday for quite some time as I’m now confined to a wheelchair and only get to travel twice a year.
I booked well in advance and was so keen to stay at The Hyatt that I had to try several different dates in order to get 5 nights in a row. I then booked flights based on availability.
I booked a Grand twin with city views as I would be spending a considerable amount of time in the room.
When we saw the room my heart sank. The view was looking directly at the tennis court and across the road at a grey building that was undergoing renovations. The room was dull with very badly scratched and stained furniture. Some of the stains were so bad that I took photos which I will attach. Also, the door that hides the fridge was hanging off it’s hinge.
There was a large, badly damaged table in front of the sofa which made it impossible to navigate around the room. I went down to reception to ask if there’d been a mistake with my room. When they advised there was no mistake Alex on reception became defensive and advised that as I’d chosen a Grand Twin that this was the best they could do. His suggestion was to be moved into a standard room on a higher level. When I asked if it had an accessible bathroom he advised that the only disabled rooms were on levels 10 11 and 12. I then pointed to the fact that I was sitting in a chair and was unable to stand up in a shower. I have to say that I’m a little surprised in this day and age that they don’t have the option of a shower chair.
It’s difficult enough and somewhat demeaning when you are steadily losing your mobility as each year passes and then made to feel you are being unnecessarily demanding and should be happy with what you’ve been given., Based on the receptionists officious attitude, that was the impression I was given. I asked that the varnished, shockingly scratched table be removed which was done promptly.
The room was quiet despite the occasional disturbance during the night due to the fact that the room was directly across from the lift shafts.
I had an unfortunate incident where I attempted to transfer from my wheelchair to a sofa in Collins Kitchen as the table was too low to eat from and I ended up on the floor.
A very kind waiter came over to ask if he could help. As I was wedged between the table and the sofa I asked if he could push the sofa over so that I could roll over and get myself off the floor. He pushed the sofa across across about 40cm’s and we both stared in shock as there was masses of old food under the sofa including a whole crushed up croissant. Due to my need to get up off the floor as quickly as possible I had to roll into the stale food. Unacceptable in a hotel of this supposed calibre.
In conclusion, I think that Hyatt need to address a serious issue and that is that their ‘accessible’ rooms for the disabled are located only on floors that offer no view. Why is that? Do they think that people in a wheelchair won’t care?
I contacted them and had a call from a woman named Maricelle.
She went and checked the room prior to calling and advised that the furniture was in such poor condition that it needed reupholstering and agreed the varnish was in very poor condition also.
As compensation they gave me a night for free when (if) I stay again. Pretty poor really.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Johnnylad2
Reviewed 1 November 2017

Great hotel and location. Everything worked really well. Excellent gym. I have stayed in other Melbourne hotels, but the Grand Hyatt is definitely my preferred place of stay. I can’t recommend it enough.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
1  Thank Peter B
GrandHyattMel, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Dear Peter B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Melbourne.
We are thrilled to read you experienced an enjoyable stay even though it was a short one and now we have become your preferred hotel to stay at when visiting Melbourne.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!