I recently stayed at Bayview on The Park for work. A 'deluxe Queen Room with free wifi was booked for me by my work for two nights - a Thursday (15th September) and Friday. The room was booked through one of those booking websites that the hotel was on (this becomes important later). I have stayed regularly at the Bayview Eden up the road, same logo, same hotel, same decor.
I arrived at about 7:30pm on the Thursday and was promptly told by the really rude front desk person, "a $200.00 cash bond is taken on check in,. This can be made either by cash or EFTPOS". When I did not respond immediately with cash for her, and just looked at her wondering what she was talking about because I have never ever been asked for cash bond before, she said "AND we are very strict with it. So, which is it?"
I said I would not be paying a cash bond and that the room was booked with a corporate credit card blah blah blah. I offered my own credit card for an imprint and this was not good enough either. It all seemed really odd.
She told me that because the room was booked through a booking website, that they took a cash bond, and that if I had booked it through the hotel directly, this would not be an issue. We went back and forth like this until she abruptly put her hand up, told me she was busy, and proceeded to serve other people.
I called my office and they got no further with her either. Eventually i told her i would use my credit card and all the while my office was trying to book me somewhere else, i told the woman this and she told me "that's up to you, but there would be no refund". Eventually I let them hold $50 (still not returned a week later) on my own credit card.
The room, which i eventually got to, was dated, small and run down. But I was too tired to argue. There was no free Wifi, the hot water was unpredictable and the hotel service remained consistently disinterested, inattentive and not even present (I waited 15 minutes at the front desk to find out where a convenience shop was, and the staff member did not know - i found one around the corner) . They went to the effort of placing 4 small UHT milks in the fridge and you could not get any others, and when I used 2, they replaced exactly 2.
This is a poorly serviced, run down and overpriced hotel. there are easily better options on the same street. I would never recommend this hotel and will not stay at Bayview hotels again.
The swimming pool was closed ( it was too cold anyway), and the gym was also not available, but I was not told why or when it would be. These things are listed in the website.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated between Melbourne's CBD and St Kilda Beach, Bayview On The Park provides the perfect location to explore all Melbourne has to offer. Melbourne Aquarium, South Yarra shopping district and St Kilda Esplanade are all only a short tram ride away, with the added convenience of onsite car parking (fees apply). Bayview On The Park is just 25.5km from Melbourne International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Wotif.com, Agoda, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, lastminute.com.au, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Bayview On The Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview On The Park Hotel Melbourne
- Bayview On The Park Melbourne, Victoria