“Good stay and good location”

Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon
Ranked #63 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Warrnambool
“Good stay and good location”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night after a long drive through heavy traffic.

Check in was easy, good off street parking and good bar downstairs that they gave me $5 voucher for when I checked in. I enjoyed my beer in the bar, well maybe two actually, then headed off to the many restuarants up Lygon Street.

Room was good, large and pay tv.

Will come back as it is very easy place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter A
DowntownerGM, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear Mordi35,

It was good to see you enjoyed the cocktail bar- its great place to catch up with friends before or after having a bite up Lygon Street; the added bonus is you only have to walk 50 metres and can choose from literally dozens of restaurants.

I might suggest next time you stay, come in and try our Spring menu in the Restaurant@Downtowner.

Thank you for your comments.

Kevin Birchall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

My partner and I recently stayed at Downtowner on Lygon for 2 nights for a quick weekend away. We weren't willing to pay an arm and a leg for some of the other accommodation choices around, so we opted to try Downtowner on Lygon. We arrived earlier than check in at the hotel and asked of they could please store our bags until check in so we could have a look around without lugging bags everywhere. They were more than obliged to do this, and even went one step further by allowing us to check into our room a few hours early because it was available. I've never had this courtesy at another hotel. The room we stayed in was one of their 'king' rooms. It was very clean and tidy, with a comfy bed and a big bathroom. Really, it is all you need if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room. We were very impressed to find out the bar has a happy hour between 5-7pm with $5 cocktails, and as an added bonus if you show your room key you get a free snack platter to have with your drinks. Overall, I loved staying at Downtowner on Lygon and will be back

• Stayed August 2012
DowntownerGM, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Sjade91,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you were made aware of the residents only offer of a complimentary hot snack platter in our bar- it is one of the many little points of differnce we do to acknowledge our in house customers. I was equally pleased you got down for the $5 specials we do on a range of cocktails, beers and wines in the lounge at 5pm.

Please come and stay again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed here for one night , used my loyalty points as I wanted a couple of rooms for my birthday. Paid the extra for an upgrade. - Stayed on August 18th 2012.

The front desk staff member was great . Very polite and informative.
Only one elevator (fits approx 6 people) , it was quicker to take the stairs

If you would like to park your car in the hotel car park, get there early (pending check in time) as it fills up quick, we got one of the last ones and turned up at 2.30ish.

Stayed in the executive suite and booked the standard king room as well - both room were clean and a great temperature (some rooms are like ice blocks or the heating has been running all day)

The bathroom could do with an update and it was strange that the fridge was in the bathroom.

The mattress initially felt very hard but had a very good sleep.

The room had only one pair of slippers and robe , we asked for another set but it never arrived, apparently got sent to the wrong room - again no major issue.

Overall, clean, friendly, good location, value for money (if i had to pay). Will stay again

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear dennis0111,

I am really pleased you were able to use your loyalty points with us and splurged for the upgrade. I am equally pleased that you liked the level of cleanliness in both both our exec suites and king rooms- this consistency is important to us and I will ensure your comments are passed on to the housekeeping team.

I apologise for the misunderstanding with your second pair of slippers and bath robe, but am pleased this did not detract from your overall impression of our team and customer service focus.

Thank you for your feedback.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

I have stayed a couple of times. I like the rooms, they have plenty of room for the business traveller. The bathrooms are spacious and everything is very clean. The breakfast buffet is ok, probably better value for those who like a big cooked breakfast. The bedrooms face inwards, with the bathrooms on the street, so traffic noise is low. I would happily stay again.

Stayed September 2011
Dear ellen P,

Thank you for your review, and as one of our repeat business clients, it was pleaseing to see you like the design and functionality and cleanliness of our rooms.

I appreciate your comments on our breakfast buffet, and it is certainly a large offering if you are just after a bowl of fresh fruit salad- it would be remiss of me not to mention however that we can do a continental breakfast pricing as well. Alternatively, if you book your breakfast as part of your room rate, you can save $10 per person, which represents really good value.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

General manager
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I have been staying at the Downtowner for business and recreation some time and find that staff always deliver a consistent level of service. The rooms are clean and comfortable although starting to show signs of needing a revamp. I love the large bathroom and deep bath and the sliding door that also blocks outside traffic noise. The king beds are quite firm and are zipped singles. Buffet breakfast is very good and consists of a wide variety of options from fresh fruit salad ( great ) to bircher, fresh yogurts, and other tinned fruits -the prunes are delicious. Hot breakfast is self service but quite frankly could be hotter. However, I find this is a problem with most hotel breakfasts not just the Downtowner. The rooms are entered from an open air walkways either by internal lift/stairs or back stairwell but I have never had an issue with safety or felt unsafe whilst staying here. Room service is usually prompt. I like this hotel because of its location and easy car parking. It's an easy walk to the city and Lygon Street cafes and right on your door step.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
DowntownerGM, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Jane M,

I appreciate your feedback as a regular client, being able to see a level of consistency with our service over a number of visits is important to us.

I have also passed your comments on to our head chef and kitchen team in regards to the breakfast display. We try and keep our buffet simple and fresh whilst offering a variety of dishes and constantly changing specials.

Thank you for your review.