“Convenience and Comfort”

Ranked #79 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane
“Convenience and Comfort”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I saw the below reviews "Home away from home" title and I believe this is a perfect way of putting Crowne. I stay here at least 15 nights per year as our business home base is in Melbourne.

The service is alway friendly and prompt. The staff always have my frwquent flyer and priority club number and details loaded and occasionally leave gifts in the room - last time I was pleasantly surprised to be given the option of a bonus points, alcohl or a snack as part of my free priority club membership - given that I was arriving late and checking out early I appreciated this as I would not have partaken of a drink in any case!

The atmosphere is familiar and cozy. The staff are friendly and Stan in valet parking is a familiar sight everytime and remembers his guests and regulars, this is well appreciated. Location is good in proximity to Yarra side dining and the casino for a punt.

Food is usually of high quality, however a more expansive menu or more regular changes would be welcomed (many small motels/hotels have a more comprehensive menu) but is almost always tasty and arrives withint prescribed timeframe.

The charge for internet is horrible, as is the limitation on downloads that an hour on youtube or big e-mail downloads chews up quickly.... But given this is my only real gripe (and work pays for it) no big deal, however a large number of major North QLD hotel chains are including unlimited internet usage as part of accomodation package, which is something I would see as appropriate for the price charged.

As I have stated in other reviews, I go into the room and shut the curtains, usually being there for work or to sleep. Views mean little however they are always open to changing rooms to give you a good view of the river etc.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
IHG_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear David Q,

We want to thank you for submitting a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Melbourne.

Your comments about your regular visits are welcomed, and we are genuinely happy to hear that you enjoy staying with us.

Our menu is updated seasonally and our Food & Beverage Department are always open to feedback from our guests, and this will be passed on to them for the planning of future menus.

Internet pricing is always something we are looking at, and we hope that you are taking advantage of our 30 minute complimentary wifi in the Lobby Bar.

Again, we are really pleased that our hotel is your "home away from home" and we hope to continue welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne.

Crowne Plaza Melbourne Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I am down in Melbourne frequently for business and can have stays of over 4 nights at a time. The Crowne is my choice, it's in a great location, some good views from the rooms dependent which side of the hotel your on. The staff are always great and friendly. Last night the hotel put on a free cocktails and Canapés in the lobby bar for guests. This was a great touch. The restaurant downstairs serves up a great meal and the one thing I do like is the kitchen will even cook you up something if it's not on the menu and they will cook it for you if they have the ingredients. Can't fault the food at all. The happy hour from 4-6 every evening is a nice touch also.

• Stayed February 2012
California
Reviewed 27 February 2012

First trip to Australia. Wonderful spot. Helpful staff, loved the baskets of apples around the hotels. Wonderful breakfasts, great location for public transportation and view from room was great. No free wifi but business office computers worked well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
IHG_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear dianeandjack,

Many thanks for your review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne.

It is pleasing to read that you had such a wonderful time at our hotel and in Melbourne.
We are fortunate to be in a very central location for our guests to access the CBD attractions and transport.

Regarding your comments about wifi in the hotel, we offer free access in the Lobby Bar for 30 minutes. Hopefully on your return visit, you will have the opportunity to utilise this!

Again, we thank you for your review and do hope to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne soon.

Singapore
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Arrived in Melbourne thinking I was staying at the Crowne Promanade only to find out our travel agent had booked the wrong hotel. I was booked into the Crown Plaza for three nights. Got out of the cab no one took my bags, it was 11 pm at night the staff behind the counter were not very friendly, no greeting just asked for my name and that was it.

The room was Cozy ! with no real view I was on the other side of the hotel looking down at the top of the hotels restrauant. For a hotel that has water views for most room's, maybe it was my bad luck. The walls are paper thing and I could even when the people in the room next door to me flushed their toilet. Bed was uncomfortable and small.

I did not stay there for three nights, I checked out the very next day and went to the Crown Promenade

the only positive about my stay there was the very kind maintenance man who carried my bag down the escalator as I was checking out.

Dont think I will be back to Crowne Plazza Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nsingapore
IHG_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Hi there Nsingapore,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Melbourne.

It is unfortunate that there was a mix up with your booking and we are sorry that you were dissatisfied with your experience at our hotel.
We can assure you that is not the usual standard that Crowne Plaza offers, and we do appreciate your comments.

We do hope that you otherwise enjoyed your time in Melbourne.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. It's unremarkable but clean, with reasonably large rooms and, importantly for us, a choice of pillows of varying firmness. The location is OK but it's quite a long way from Federation Square, China Town etc. Overall, it's a typical Crowne Plaza - what more can you say?

Room Tip: Go as high as possible to minimise the effects of traffic noise.