“Hit and Miss”

Cuisines: Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Chapel Street
Description: Offering healthy seafood options along with traditional fish and chips.
Reviewed 28 April 2021 via mobile

Had a beautiful healthy bowl on my last visit to Chapel St, but was a bit underwhelmed on tonight’s visit. Got the couples pack with my husband tonight. We added a salad as the order was mostly fried. The highlights of the salad, sesame seeds and broccoli, were not present among the dressing, kale and spinach? Fish was good, but batter very thick and leathery. A mountain of chips (can’t complain) but would have preferred less chips to more detail on the main features of the meal. Will try again next time, will give it another shot.

Date of visit: April 2021
2  Thank kath816

Reviewed 18 December 2020 via mobile

Surprising to see this one so highly rated. The quality of fish and chips was like any other inexpensive fish and chips eatery for a price that isn't justified.

Will save our time not to review it.

Date of visit: November 2020
4  Thank Ozzy-Kunnu
Reviewed 11 September 2020

Ubereats order - didn’t allow me to review the actual restaurant, was so annoyed am finding somewhere to tell themhow sh^* they are. Fantastic service and quick delivery from driver which leaves NO excuse for the extremely soggy WAY below average fish, soggy chips, the “free” can of coke was dumped on top of the food which made it even soggier (have some common sense!?!) and was missing an item. First time we ordered was bad, gave it a 2nd chance since our usual was closed and extremely disappointed again. Will definitely not order again

Date of visit: September 2020
1  Thank victoriapJ8484CU
Reviewed 8 March 2020

First off - the food is always great. For Melbourne it's well priced and I dont think I've ever had a "bad" meal - and I've tried a lot of the menu. It is a franchise chain so the menu is pretty standard across all stores.
The South Yarra store is "interesting". We've been a lot on Thursday and Friday evenings, but my patience is running out. One week there was a DJ in the seating area!!!!! In all my days I have never said "you know what my fish and chips needs - a DJ playing absolutely rubbish Ibiza style dance tunes". This absolutely ruined my night. The DJ has not returned but the past couple of times we've been he's been replaced by some even more non-descript (possibly royalty-free) Ibiza style dance tunes banging through the sound system.. It is a truly awful atmosphere. You struggle to chat to one another and the only people that seem to be enjoying themselves and the vibe are the couple of "lads" that work there (I dare say they are the franchise holders).
On a Friday night there are couples and families in there trying to eat dinner. The last thing you want is an attempt to be hip and force a rather niche music down people's throats.
No-one is dancing. No-one is dressed in all white. No-one has any glow sticks. No-one has glitter or unicorns embellished on their face. And no-one is off their heads on Es and whizz.
Like the food. Hate what I have to go through to eat there.

Date of visit: February 2020
4  Thank Bignbeefy
Reviewed 15 January 2020

Good , simple well priced Fish and chips which proved a hit with the family as its very casual (you can sit outside) and considering its South Yarra the dishes were all quite reasonably priced with large serves

Date of visit: January 2020