Open today: 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Sit Back and Enjoy the Day

Excellent day out from start to finish. Highly recommend for a day of variety from wildlife to... read more

Reviewed 13 April 2020
Pamela P
Brisbane, Australia
Pingus Pingus EVERYWHERE!

My friend & I went on this tour with David, who is a wonderful guide... very informative, funny and... read more

Reviewed 6 January 2020
dannikeeping
Sydney, Australia

Recommended experiences in and around Melbourne
from USD 78.44
from USD 101.68
from USD 105.31
from USD 105.31
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 May 2017

I booked the All Day Combination Tour through Melbourne's Best Day Tours which includes the morning tour out to the Dandenong Rainforest to ride the Puffing Billy Steam Train and the afternoon tour out to Phillip Island to watch the Penguin Parade. I travelled on Wednesday 3rd May.

The morning tour we arrived at the pickup location and was advised we would actually be travelling on a Grayline bus as not enough people booked with Melbourne's Best. This was fine by us as we were advised from previous reviews that this might be the case. The day was great and even though I can't comment on Melbourne's Best, Grayline was professional and prompt, the driver was informative and we did not feel excluded because we were from a different tour group. The Puffing Billy steam train was fabulous and I recommend it to all.

The afternoon tour we arrived at the pickup location and were again advised we would be travelling with a different tour company, this time AAT Kings. Again keeping an open mind, we boarded the coach and we were on our way. It was a very small group so we were able to spread out in the coach which was good for the drive out there. When we arrived at the Penguin Parade, the bus driver picked up our tickets and began to distribute. It was then I realised that we had not been listed under the "Penguin Plus" upgrade as I had purchased at my time of booking. I didn't think this was a big deal so I told the driver there must be a mix up as we had booked the Penguin Plus. The bus driver only gave me short and sharp answers after this such as "the list gets faxed to us and your names don't include the Penguin Plus" "Our girls in the office have gone home so there is nothing I can do" "This happens 2 or 3 times a week, nothing I can do" "Don't go over to the ticket box as they won't be able to help either".
I thought this was slightly unprofessional of a person who was representing AAT Kings and Melbourne's Best (indirectly). Surely the process would be to have people on hand if things like this did go wrong so they could be rectified? If it "happens 2 or 3 times a week" then perhaps it is something that needs to be looked at. He wasn't interested in helping us in the slightest so I quickly realised it was up to me to sort it out.
To the credit of Melbourne's Best, I called them straight away and the lady on the other end of the phone was more than happy to fix the problem. I walked over to the ticket box, handed over my phone and it was all resolved in 15 minutes and I had my Penguin Plus tickets. But the fact that I had to do this myself and there was no interest from the company rep standing in front of me was a little disheartening. I don't think I will be booking with AAT Kings any time in the future.

I can't comment on the actual tour operation with Melbourne Best as I didn't end up travelling with them, but I will thank them for sorting out my issue quickly. I hope this assists other travelers.

Date of experience: May 2017
2  Thank Stephanie_P07
Reviewed 1 May 2017

The tour was outstanding even the weather was not entirely on our side, Melbourne's Best Tours has the wisdom and a guide like Khalid saved the day! We did get good and friendly service, advise, good food, excitement as nature's tranquillity unfolded itself, educational knowledge in past & present history and a breath taking scenery as only Victoria has on offer - our recommendation: don't hesitate, just go!

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Travelled with my elderly mother and my sister. We had a great day tour to the Great Ocean Road. Our driver/guide Khalid was the best - we felt very safe with his driving. Khalid was very considerate of our requirements as a group and individually. His commentary was interesting and comprehensive. He has an extensive knowledge of the area and he has a good eye for spotting the wildlife that we would never have seen on our own! It was a very long day, but a well planned itinerary with plenty of stops for seeing the sites, walks, photos, restrooms etc. Lunch was very nice - much better than was expected. Would highly recommend this trip.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

We booked The Great Ocean Road day trip with Melbourne's Best Tours as we wanted a relaxing trip without driving ourselves, we met near Federation Square and we had a small group which was great. Stopping at a few small towns along the way to the 12 apostles was good as well some of the stops are Bells Beach where they were setting up the surfing completion for the Easter weekend and Apollo Bay which we stopped for lunch which is included in the price the driver will give you a small list of choices before you leave Melbourne as to what you want the lunch is awesome and the café they selected is great. The trip is an all day one we left Federation Square around 08.00am and arrived back around 9.30pm but well worth it thanks guys.

1  Thank CraigAussie
Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

We wanted to see The Great Ocean Road without the hassle of driving ourselves so we decided to take this tour. We got more than what we expected. Kahlid was a great tour guide. Very enjoyable experience and we saw more than what we expected. My husband and I travelled with my mother-in-law who usually gets car sick however in this ocassion she didnt have it at all. The inclusive lunch was also very filling. The tour left a great impression on us and we highly recommend others to take it.

Date of experience: March 2017