Open today: 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
Book In Advance
Tours from Melbourne's Best Tours tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Melbourne's Best Tours
from USD 108.86
from USD 87.09
from USD 68.95
More Info
All reviews day tour the great ocean road puffing billy beautiful scenery phillip island loch ard gorge great tour guide apollo bay gray line penguin parade federation square chocolate factory khalid apostles driver company koalas
Reviewed 31 January 2015

We booked two tours with the Tour Company. First, Ballarat Day Tour followed by Puffing Billy Half Day Tour on the next to next day. The experience (especially with Driver) was totally Different.

1) SOVEREIGN HILL & HISTORIC BALLARAT TOUR:
Shane was the driver for this tour. He picked us up at scheduled time 7.25 a.m. After taking a stop at federation square, the small bus started with 7-8 passengers. We observed lot of fog while on the way but Shane was a very good driver. We stopped first at Lake Wendouree, Shane showed us some historic buildings and stated some interesting facts about Ballarat and ultimately led us to the Sovereign Hill. After we visited Sovereign Hill and the Gold Museum, We came back to Melbourne before 5.30 p.m. even considering that Shane has allowed us more time than stipulated at Sovereign Hill. He also has given us some good tips on Melbourne attractions and eateries.
Though this tour serves more as a transport medium, but it is a speciality of small group tour that a good guide can enlighten the experience. I would give this tour a ***** (5 Star) rating.

2) PUFFING BILLY HALF DAY TOUR:
We have felt totally opposite experience this time. The driver, Peter, has called me informing that he would pick up us at 7.15 a.m. but actually he arrived at 7.30 a.m. This ruined the chance to do/pack our breakfast. At Federation Square Stop, I went to deposit the tour charge at their office and my wife went to collect some packed food. After depositing money, I requested Peter to allow us 2 minutes (my wife was already coming back). Suddenly, he became very rude and started abusing me and asking me that he will not allow any packed food. I informed him that I have done many small group tours(including Melbourne's Best Day Tours) before and I perfectly know the law that food can not be consumed in bus. But since because of him we could not do our breakfast, we would just get packed food and consume at next stop. He literally forced us to consume the food before boarding and continued the humiliation. My wife was already in tears and then I told him firmly that I will lodge a formal complaint against him. That stopped him and he started the bus. While the bus was running, we found that other people are consuming their food (!!!) and also we checked in TA that Peter has already earned few reviews due to his behaviour (E.g. Review of Sally) and Management promised to remove him. However, things changed When we arrived at next stop. Peter Apologised to us for his behaviour and then became more than friendly to us. I later talked about this to the Receptionist at Federation Square Counter but did not put a formal compliant in recognition to his apology.
The tour itself was good for a half-day tour. The Sulphur Crested Cockatoos scratched my hand while feeding (Crimsons were seating at the top the tree) and Puffing Billy Ride was really entertaining. But considering our trauma, I would give this tour * (One star) rating.

Overall, this tour company has pretty good itineraries but experience depends on the allocated driver.

Date of experience: February 2014
1  Thank Krisyd
Reviewed 26 January 2015 via mobile

We had a fantastic time seeing the 12 Aspostals Coastal formation. The highlite was the helicopter ride seeing these rock formations from the air. Our bus driver , Adrian, got us discounted rates for this ride. He was very knowlegible and made the tour worthwhile.

Reviewed 18 January 2015

This was one of the best excursion I ever had! The bus was very comfortable, the places we saw marvelous, views we will never forget, and the guide, Khalid, extremely kind. He even took individual pictures of all passengers and immediately mailed them to us. That is really something you don't often see! We felt like we were his guests, not just tourists!
I definitely recommend Best Day Tours for any excursion in Melbourne and hope to repeat the experience myself!

Date of experience: January 2015
2  Thank FiorellaVD
Reviewed 18 January 2015

I had a great time.The sights were beautiful.We had an excellent guide and driver - Ben.Ben thank you! :-) You are the best!:-)

Date of experience: January 2015
2  Thank AnnaMfromPoland
Reviewed 7 January 2015 via mobile

We went on the Phillip Island tour and had a great time! There is so much activity packed into one day, never a dull moment. Many places I would never have considered going to so I was pleasantly surprised when every stop offered something enjoyable and different. Personal highlights were the Churchill ranch and of course the cuter than cute penguins! It's pretty surreal watching the fluffy little animals waddling all the way from the sea back to their burrows, something I will never forget. The menu could do with a healthier option as there are a lot of chips to contend with but the food was tasty, curry was restaurant quality!!!! Khalid our tour guide was a lovely guy, always helping people and was very informative. He went out of his way to make sure everyone's trip was fantastic and is a credit to the company - reading other reviews I think people expect too much of a man who is driving the bus AND simultaneous dispersing his (vast) knowledge of the surroundings , like really how animated can you be when your focusing on the road. The only improvement I would suggest is possibly stopping at a couple of view points, the area is breathtakingly beautiful but we didn't really have time to appreciate it. That said the day is very busy so I appreciate there isn't much spare time for extra stops.

MelbournesBestTours, Public Relations Manager at Melbourne's Best Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2015

Hi Ellie! The penguins are precious, aren’t they? It was such a treat reading your review in its every detail; we are so pleased that you had a great time with us! Indeed, Khalid has been with us for a very long time, and his passion for his work certainly shows through his genuine rapport with guests and abundant knowledge.

At Melbourne’s Best, we are always seeking to improve our tours to provide the best experiences possible for our guests. Thank you so much for your suggestions; they will certainly be passed on and discussed.

Thanks for travelling with Melbourne's Best and we hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!