“What an outstanding hotel !”

Citadines on Bourke Melbourne
Ranked #32 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've travelled a reasonable amount throughout Australia and this Hotel would have to rate at the top of the lot, it's fantastic ! Right from the booking service all the way through to checking out, it's been a very pleasing experience each and every time. I stayed on the 21st floor which was quiet and the bed was really comfortable. Very roomy apartment (I got the 1 b/r Exec version) in a great location, nice and handy to everything in the CBD. I've never felt the urge to write a review before, that's how good this place is !

Room Tip: go for a high floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank thestump1469
There are newer reviews for Citadines on Bourke Melbourne

Reviewed 22 February 2012

if you want a kitchenette style hotel room - this is a great place to stay. Only complaints are that the bed's a little too hard, the room feels just a little bit sterile and there's a lot of work for the service guys to do which makes for average service.
Don't get me wrong, many would love the sterile environment, so maybe it's just me.
Definitely would stay here again if I was after something with a kitchenette if it wasn't for the bed (which may be fine for most).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank MattMelbourne
Reviewed 21 February 2012

clean and good condition, also great location to see town.

Room Tip: walk to eat in china town
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pure_jagerman
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel itself was good. Exactly what you would expect. I was shocked by the customer service I recieved! I would never stay there again. Customer Service is so important to me as the hotel staff have the ability to make a good stay a fantastic one! No one cares about you. Receptionist's can't even answer basic questions like what should I do in Melbourne or where is the closest Vodafone store! When you walk past the front desk no one even looks up at you or says Hello. I wrote a letter of feedback to management and I did not recieve a reply (at this stage I am not suprised). I wouldnt stay here if someone payed me to.

In case you are interested here is the letter I wrote:
I recently stayed at your hotel between the $%# Dec until the %^# Jan and I would like to pass on some feedback.

Firstly you have a wonderful hotel. The decor and facilities are really excellent. The room was exactly what I expected and it was lovely. What disappointed me on this stay was the service I received. When looking for accommodation the room and facilities are important however I believe it is the service you receive that really makes an excellent stay. I chose your hotel because I know your brand represents a quality product and I was impressed that it was rated 4 and a half stars. But overall.. To be honest I have received better service in three star properties.

Before arrival I sent an email to the hotel requesting a high floor 20 or above. I received a response that was generic (which i do understand as you probably get many emails regarding requests) which stated we can not guarantee anything however we will do our best. Upon check in we asked if our request was granted and the receptionist stated the room type we booked only went up to level 11. This was one of my first impressions of the hotel and I was very disappointed. I do not think it would have taken any more time to simply reply to my email and inform me that it was not possible.

The receptionist who check us is was not very friendly, he was polite but never smiled and sounded very miserable. However he was nice enough to move us from the 8th floor to the 11th when he found out about our request.

After dropping our bags in our room I visited reception again and asked where the closest Vodafone store is. It took to receptionist 15mins to tell me the nearest one is on the corner of Bourke St Mall! That was really ridiculous. How can a front office team member not be aware of a telecommunications store that is literary down the road from the hotel. Other questions I asked during the stay weren't answered that well either. When I asked a receptionist what is the one thing i have to do while i am here, she told me all about the Tutankhamen exhibit at the museum and sold the idea to me! however after 5 minutes of telling me how amazing it is she looked it up on the website and realised the exhibition closed about a month ago. Simply asking for an email address of the General Manager to pass on feedback seems to be too hard to answer as well as I have recieved three different responces!

On New years day we were fairly tired from a long day out, we had a late lunch and wanted to order room service at about 9pm. When i called to order, the GSA informed me that room service was not available as the restaurant was shut. I do understand that its a public holiday but I really wish I was informed about it earlier.

The day after new years day we left the room at 9am and returned at 6pm to find that our room wasn't refreshed. I called front office and they informed me that it was a public holiday and so housekeeping are not working. Once again there was no communication about this. At this point i was furious. The receptionist didn't even offer to have any towels sent up stairs! There was no thought of how can I mend the situation.

I have not written this email for any other reason other than the fact that I work in the Hospitality industry and I realise how important feedback is as this is the only way you can improve. I hope this email will enforce some changes. As for me I am deeply put off staying at your property again nor will i recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: My room faced the wall of another building.. and in my opnion the room is 100 times better then the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Taronish
suitdude30, Manager at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Taronish,

Thank you your recent feedback, and for choosing Citadines on Bourke Melbourne as your “home away from home”.

After receiving your review, we have investigated the concerns which you raised with the relevant staff members concerned.

We share your disappointment that our service fell short of your expectations, particularly as our Guest Service team has received numerous commendations for their friendly professionalism.

Please be assured that your experience is not characteristic of our usual high standard and I am sorry this wasn’t highlighted during the stay so we could address immediately. Nonetheless, we have taken the opportunity presented by your feedback to review the training and supervision of the staff involved as your experience certainly fell short of both your and our expectations. As a serviced residence, we offer daily housekeeping except on Sundays and public holidays, and this was advised to all guests through notices placed on our reception desk.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay, particularly the design and facilities of our new property. I invite you to contact me directly when planning your next visit to Melbourne so that I may take personal care of your arrangements.

Thank you once again for your support of Citadines on Bourke Melbourne Apart’Hotel, and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Kind regards,

Bryan Loh
Assistant Residence Manager

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Citadine on Bourke is a tall slender building that fits in between the high rises of Bourke Street. You're more likely to get a view of rooftops of adjacent buildings than majestic views of Melbourne, but if you're only here for a couple of nights as we were then this shouldn't matter. More important are the clean, simple rooms, plenty of space for luggage, comfortable bed, kitchenette for making tea and breakfast and spacious shower. No opening windows unfortunately, but the aircon was quiet and not dessicating like some. Check in/out was fuss free but room hadn't been cleaned by 3pm, which we put down to being on a high floor. Overall this is an ideal base for a short stay in Melbourne at less than $200 per night.

Room Tip: High floor rooms reduce the noise of busy Bourke Street.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple