“Quesadillas to die for ”
Review of Mamasita

Mamasita
Ranked #224 of 4,560 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Mamasita showcases contemporary Mexican food with a focus on authentic recipes and ingredients, enhanced by one of the best mezcal collections in Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Went here around 6pm on a Friday night and it was packed! Luckily we got we're only two so we got seated pretty quickly. The waiters were very friendly although they tried to make us buy tequila shots a few times throughout the night, probably because it was a Friday, but we had plans to watch Aladdin the musical so we kept it PG. The place was perfect for a date or a dinner with friends. The mood was chill, the decor interesting and the food to die for. We ordered two street style corns ($5.6 each), tortilla chips ($11), two tacos ($7 each), the campechano quesadilla ($16 a must!) and the vanilla bean flan ($10). Even though it was a bit pricey, everything was delicious!! The meals are also recommended for sharing. After everything we were fairly satisfied, not too hungry to order more and not too full to unbutton our pants. Definitely heading back here the next time I'm in Melbourne... and maybe when I'm not a struggling uni student

Write a ReviewReviews (1,199)

Reviewed 15 June 2017

I wish Melbourne had more great Mexican food like this little restaurant. The flavour is very authentic and makes your appreciate this underrated cuisine.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

Excellent suggestion by Ovolo to go here for a quick bite of really good Mexican Style tapas style food. All dishes were great, tasty and authentic. Restaurant is loud and busy, but fun and vibrant and clearly very popular. Prices are good and service is friendly and welcoming. Drinks menu is fabulous with an amazing variety of margarita's and tequila available. Definitely a good spot anytime. Saturday evening was busy but tables turn over quite quickly.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

The food is good, I will say that off the bat - but it is so expensive for what you get. I know that it's not a street cart so you aren't paying street food prices, but the ethos of mexican food is cheap and cheerful. The tacos are $7 each and are 2 mouthfuls of food at most. The corn is $5.60 for half a cob. My partner and I spent $80 not including drinks and were still hungry after. I am happy to pay higher prices so long as I am full after. Full disclosure is that it is also not the best mexican food I have eaten in Melbourne by a long-shot, and I didn't have to pay anywhere near as much as what I paid at Mamasita.

MamasitaMelb, Front Office Manager at Mamasita, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Hola Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review – please know that your feedback is very valuable and much appreciated.

To hear that certain aspects of your visit to Mamasita were less than satisfactory is definitely disappointing, as we always strive for everything to be great for our beloved customers.

If you could please get in touch at your convenience to me directly at lucie@mamasita.com.au I can pass on the information to the management team ASAP.

Thanks again, I hope to hear from you soon.

Saludos

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

While most of the food was delicious and the tequila were amazing. They brought our seperate orders together on the same plate. This meant vegetarian options were mixed with the meat options. Also the food didn't come at once it was staggered so one person received their main then 5 mins later someone else got their main and our sides arrived when we had finished everything else.
I wanted to love this place but was disappointed. I would have rated 3.5 but I can't give a half star