“Great bed and very quiet room” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands

Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands
Ranked #47 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart, Australia
“Great bed and very quiet room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I booked this accommodation on-line as a last minute mystery deal for 2 nights and I was had a very positive experience as the location was extremely close to the train station and there was a Degani coffee outlet right up the stairs on Collins Street that made a fairly decent brew in the morning. I ate breakfast one morning in the hotel and this was the only disappointment for me overall because the eggs appeared to be powdered and the selection was fairly average in terms of fruit and yoghurt. The upside was that they had a coffee machine that made a drinkable espresso if you had a double shot.

The staff at the front desk were exceptionally helpful and friendly and the room itself had everything you want in terms of a king bed and clean bathroom with shampoo & conditioner provided. There was also a kettle so you could make a cup of tea and curl up on one of the huge pillows in bed and read a good book. I slept like a baby because the room was amazingly quiet and the windows appeared to be double glazed. I stayed in a four star venue on my last trip with had a tonne of street noise so this little gem was a real find and I will be staying again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
JamesColeman, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
A good night's sleep is what we are all about and I am so glad that we came through for you on your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel - we will be sharing your review with the team and I am sure they will be delighted.

James Coleman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tasmania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed here for 1 night before a business meeting. Spacious, clean, comfortable room. The aircon was easy to vary to how I wanted it. No outlook - an office building opposite made me aware to keep the sheer curtains closed. The staff were very friendly and helpful, which is a big plus in my book. Lifts were fast and frequent, even at peak times. My only query about staying here again would be the hotel's location. I walked to the hotel from the Skybus, across the station walkway, but it was a fair distance and I wasn't quite sure exactly where the entrance was. I also walked from the hotel to the free city circle tram, but that was up several flights of steps to Collins Street, then a further walk to the tram stop. Would be a challenge for the less mobile or in very hot or wet weather.
If you're taking taxis, no problem.

Room Tip: If you want a bath, better ask, my room only had a good large shower.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JamesColeman, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this positive review. We appreciate the feedback.

With regards to our location: The free tram runs from the bottom of Aurora Lane - no need to take any stairs to get there. Also - to access Collins Street there are two elevators just to the left of the stairs. It is quite possible for the less mobile to access us and avoid stairs 24 hours a day. There are also elevators to the Etihad - Southern Cross walkway 50 meters to the right of the reception.

Please feel free to ask reception for directions on your next visit.

Perth WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

we got this hotel through Wotif mystery and it turned out to be one of the hotels we wanted.
comfortable King size bed in nice room 1301 ( view of ch 9 building )
friendly attentive staff plenty of TV channels.
Great location for football (thats aussie rules the real football, not that girls game ) as Etihad stadium is less than 400 metres away. There are a few cafe bars with good value meals and drinks. Also only one lunch bar / cafe that we could find, but serves a mean breakfast, also rolls pizzas etc for lunch. We also bought a few soft drinks for the room. South bank is well within walking distance and the Southern cross railway station is just up the back. There is a wilson's car park at the side or hotel can arrange.The staff called us a taxi for our departure so no problem.The hotel has a mini bar and also serves breakfast but we didn't notice the big sign in the elevator doh ? Will stay again especially if wanting to go to the Footy at Etihad.

Room Tip: We were happy with this room but if a view required a front room may be the go, but I didn't see...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jim2009PerthWA
JamesColeman, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Jim

Thanks for your review. We always welcome feedback and I'm pleased that you had a good stay.

We hope to see you back here again in the near future!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed here 3 nights for a conference.
The room was basic (bed, side tables, table and 2 chairs, lounge, cupboard, microwave, fridge, kettle, tea and coffee, shower and toilet), but it was quiet and clean.
The bed was very comfortable.
The TV big, clear, and a good selection of stations, plus movies.
My room was cleaned every day, which was nice.
Staff were friendly and efficient.
Breakfast was nice, probably a bit pricey, although for what was on offer I guess it was fine... it was convenient for me to just wander down and eat in the hotel, besides, there's not a great deal else on offer nearby.
The hotel is pretty central to the Convention Centre and South Wharf, and there is a tram to city and other parts of Melbourne. I had a car so this wasn't an issue for me.
They offer a parking rate of $19 per night, I used it once, then found out it was cheaper (and more convenient) to use the one across the road, and that between certain hours on certain days, I could park on the street for free.
The only bad experience, was on checkout, I was confronted with a bill for use of pretty much everything in the mini bar, even though I hadn't used any of it... I didn't even use their coffee... I always take my own.
I stood my ground and they eventually agreed to wipe it from the bill, but the experience did leave me wondering how many "mistakes" they actually make and get away with.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I certainly wouldn't say no to staying here again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to review Travelodge Docklands. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you returning.

Please rest assured that it is not our policy to deliberately over-charge our guests for minibar. Human error is always possible however we will be reviewing our procedures to ensure accuracy so as to avoid this unfortunate situation in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We were at the Travelodge for an entire week while in Melbourne. We had lots of people to visit and it was a great base close to Southern Cross Station - easy to get anywhere in the city and outside the city. Rooms were okay size for two adult with two large suitcases who were traveling for 6 weeks. bathroom a bit small but it did the job. very clean and comfortable. easy access to docklands which is growing in amenities. Wifi is not free in the lobby which they could do but Gloria Jean's coffee is just around the corner and they have free wifi and good coffee. Lots of places to eat in southern cross and spencer street to pick up a a quick meal or brekkie - no need to pay the 19$ for meal at the hotel. would stay there again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. The team at Travelodge Docklands are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.