“probably only good value if you get a good rate”

Art Series - The Blackman
Ranked #17 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Can see why it gets good ratings, rooms are clean and modern. It is not walking distance to the CBD so be prepared to use public transport. 7 times i've had to request my room be cleaned; on saturday when one lift is out of service wait times seem long; washing machines haven't worked 3 times; tv static from time to time; and the showers leak water over the floor but i only point out those annoying things. The positives are 5 great front desk staff; and a comfy bed.

Room Tip: it's quieter facing arthur street or the lane way
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
The_Blackman_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Blackman, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Guest,
I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us at the Blackman.
Our staff are what make our hotel. I will be certain to tell them of your lovely comments.
I do agree with you, the beds are to die for - (you can buy them).
I am however disappointed with the number of concerns you experienced during your stay. Be assured that these issues are taken very seriously, as they do not reflect the high quality standards we strive to achieve.
I offer my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused. The Blackman Hotel prides itself on exceeding guest’s expectations.
I do hope that we see you again at the Blackman when staying again in Melbourne.

Warm regards,
Julie Dale
Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed here once for business. The bed was amazing, best sleep of my life! The rooms are modern and quirky. The bathroom very small with a modern shower, but hard to open the door of the bathroom and get in and out past the coffee table in the living space. Badly laid out. Nice little kitchenette in my room and balcony.

I ate at the restaurant and the Italian food was good and fairly authentic.

Service at reception was ok.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay with us at the Blackman.
I am very happy to hear that you loved your accommodation room. I do agree with you - the beds are amazing!!! (You can buy them).
The hotel prides itself on exceeding guest’s expectations and I can assure you that your positive comments will be shared with all of our team at the next staff meeting.
I hope to see you back at the Blackman on your next trip to Melbourne.
Warm regards,
Julie Dale
Duty Manager

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We couldn't check in till after 3pm. Front desk staff looked as though it would've costed them to crack a smile. We needed to validate our ticket for self-parking, the first staff member we spoke to pretended she didn't hear us. When we tried again with a male staff, we almost had to force it upon him. The room was dark and gloomy with only one little spotlight in the living area. There was nothing to do around the hotel for our two year old. It may appeal to couples and business travellers, but if you have young children, look else where.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank hotchillipeper
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I'm a local, so not staying at the hotel, which looks great, my review is about the French cafe downstairs. I stopped in for a coffee and carrot cake on the weekend. By Melbourne standards, the coffee is average - far better to be had in the city, the carrot cake was stale and tasteless, very small slice, dry and overpriced.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The 10 minute tram ride to the city should not be a put off for thIs property. The standard is superb, both restaurants attached provide amazing food (no breakfast as an extra but the French patisserie below is incredible). The rooms are gorgeous and all have balconies attached.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Susie E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Parkville
Southbank
The Langham, Melbourne
The Langham, Melbourne
#5 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Blackman? Share your experiences!