All reviewstrain stationchapel streetpunt hillgreat locationlarge balconybedroom apartmentwashing machine and dryerthese apartmentsself cateringsecure parkingrooms are moderngreat apartmentper nightfull kitchenbotanical gardensa great place to stayclose to public transport
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Stayed for business for 2 nights at the end of August. Got it for a good price on hotels.com. On arrival all good - quick check in, free parking (bonus) and got top floor. Went to apartment - looked nice, clean etc. However after sitting doing some computer work, the train noise was reasonably loud. I know trains start quite early and didn't want to be woken at 5:00am! So i shifted rooms which was done quickly without fuss. New room fine - different lay out as it was fitted for disability, but noise from train much better

The biggest issue i have (and scoring a 3 instead of 4) is that i smelt smoke coming into my room from another room across the hall. I rang reception who said he would look into it. 20 min later i rang again and he said it was likely to be from an apartment what is an owner/occupier, so he can't do anything about it. Not so keen on staying if i have to have cigarette smoke in my room!

Room Tip: Away from train line
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott_Fiona_Anjali
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Hi,

I have just come back from a weekend away in Melbourne. We stayed at the South Yarra grand Hotel in the 1 bedroom apartment on the 12th Floor.

Well I have to stay that this place is great place to stay. The 1 bedroom apartment is not to small and not to big just enough space for two people.

There is secured parking which cost $12 a night but we weren't even granted a spot we just had to make hope thats there was a spot when we get back from sigt seeing.

But overall I was very happy with this apartment. I would recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights over the weekend. Very nice apartments, fully self contained and close to all you need.

Across the road from the South Yarra railway station, so handy to get into the city, and within walking distance of Chapel St and lots of good restaurants and shopping.

Recommended for the price was on special at $145 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for room at rear of property away from railway line
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Enjoyed my 8 nights in my studio apartment. Everything I needed. One day when I got back from being out room service hadn't finished on floor but staff were very obliging and catered to my early return to room. The two managers were fantastic. Couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. I have one query as I think I left an item behind but waiting on a response 24 hours later.

Fantastic restaurants and facilities nearby including the best tapas I have ever had in lane way beside apartments. Will definitely stay again. Well done Punthill South Yarra Grand.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
KeiranS, Public Relations Manager at Punthill South Yarra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Jewels0856

Thanks so much for leaving your comments on Tripadvisor. 8 night's in a Studio Apartment at South Yarra Grand sure is enough time to get a good feel for the local area. We are so fortunate to have some of the best new restaurants in Melbourne opening on our doorstep and I agree; the tapas at Veloce are amazing!

We are pleased to say that are management/front desk pride themselves on offering excellent service and your comments certainly support their high standards.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed in a 2 room / 2 bathroom apartment on the 9th floor. The lodging was themed with a generic-posh look but was well equipped with decent furnishings and was well appointed. Hotel information was provided through an in-room tablet PC, while the rooms were reasonable and comfortable in size. The kitchen was well supplied with a variety of cooking utilities and items, plus it contained a good sized oven and a dishwashing machine.

Conveniently the apartments are a short walk from South Yarra metro station, shops, cafes and an IGA supermarket. The gym looked well equipped but at my time of visit the spa was out of order. Staff were always friendly if a little casual.

Disappointingly I felt that my bathroom wasn’t as clean as it could been with hidden areas such as behind the doors left untouched. I also felt that the in-room wifi was expensive at $24 per day. Negatively there is a lot of noise caused by the trains that operate across the road from early morning to late evening. It would probably be wise to take some earplugs if you’re a light sleeper. Also the cheap wide-screen TV only had 5 free-to-air and 7 Foxtel channels. The aspect ratio from the TV source was disproportionately stretched and incorrectly cropped.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Benrett

Thanks for leaving your comments. It sounds like you had one of our most scenic apartments high above on the 9th floor at Punthill South Yarra Grand.

Apologies about the spa been out of order. Our scheduled maintenance unfortunately overlapped with your stay however I can assure you that spa is back in order and fully operational.

Our housekeeping service is fastidious in all aspects. We are sorry to hear your comments about the cleanliness of the hidden area behind the bathroom doors, although I'm sure this didn't impact your stay greatly. Your comments regarding this area will be used constructively and passed on to property management.

Your comments regarding noise from the train station are very rare for South Yarra Grand given the highly effective sound proofing on the shutter doors leading out to the balcony.

With regard to the television service we have a total of 20 channels available (14 Free To Air digital and 6 Foxtel channels). We have conducted a test of the service which is working perfectly fine and the aspect ratio is good.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill again in future.

Regards