“Not the best”

Ranked #22 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“Not the best”
Reviewed 8 April 2012 via mobile

Similar comments to others staff do not explain things on check in, bit far from the city. Main complaint was the room noise, very noisy vents. They sent someone to look who proceeded to say he could,t hear because he was quite deaf. Did not sleep well for my stay and would not stay again. Pity as Hilton honours gold so I am very loyal to Hilton as they are usually very good. On the positive, concierge very good

Stayed April 2012
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. Your observations and opinions are appreciated. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and would I will be happy to discuss this further.

Regards,
Brett Christ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Checked in on Sunday the 1st April oy to be greeted by a cold Asian women who did not assist with luggage not explain the $200 pre freeze on my cc n did explain where the restaurant was or facilities. Entered the level 14 and the whole floor stunk of smoke only to enter my room n complain of cigarette smell nothing was done. Room service efficient but they 'forgot' my side salad. Upon departure settled my account only to go home & see they charged me a none smoker for smoking cleaning fee now both supervisors I spoke to we're unhelpful did not listen & have NOT reimbursed this in justifiable charge they even admired they can't prove I smoked in the room. I myself work in a 5star hotel so bad for them I know the areas they ate lacking & how out rageous this is. Nick the supervisor still yet to have the manager call me back well hilton south wharf you will loose lots of guests now & I want my money back! Worst stay in any hotel by far!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Stazia111
I appreciate your comments and opinions. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and delay in getting back to you.

Best regards,
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I've stayed in Hilton Hotels in Rotterdam, London, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Sydney and now most recently, Melbourne. I believe, I have spend enough time and money at Hilton and so far its been a good experience.

I'm not happy with the Melbourne one and I have my reasons for it.

First of all, their rooms are not at all well lit. Its easy to give the customer an option to have the kind/level of brightness desired according to taste. The rooms are too dim according to my liking even after the lights at the entrance, bathroom, bedside lamps were all on.

I had requested to for a late check-out, which in the past has been accepted or rejected very politely and one does not feel bad even if the request is not considered due to whatever reason. The lady I was talking to was very curt in mentioning that its 30 AUD per hour of extra stay after 11 AM. I said to her that my request was very happily accommodated in Hilton Sydney to which again she said.. "Yes, but you will be charged 30 dollars per hour for any extra stay".

At the mini bar, there is note from the hotel that please call the 'Magic' number to request for Fresh Milk. I did that. The only thing I asked additionally was 'warm' milk. The lady on the phone said that I will be charged if the milk needs to be warm. Its just microwave that I am talking about for God's sake!!!

Having said all this, I must also acknowledge that the room service staff is really sweet and helpful. They are always ready to help you and guide you the best way to go about any request of yours. One of the room service staff actually asked me to take a break from work and eat my food first. That was so sweet of her.

So this probably is that one-off not so good experience that I don't expect from Hilton hotels.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank SaurabhTripsReviews
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review after your recent visit.

We value your support and loyalty of this hotel and Hilton in general and are disappointed that you have gained a poor impression of this hotel’s commitment to quality product and service.
We aim to look after all our guests on a personal level and when this is for achieved we embark on a frank review of what went wrong and how can we avoid a repeat.

Regarding the charge for the late checkout I sincerely apologize that you were quoted $30 for a late departure till 12 noon. We do charge a late checkout fee but are quite flexible with the timing leading up to 1pm. As our check in time is 3 pm, we do need the rooms for the next days’ arrivals by then.

Also regarding the warm Milk, I sincerely apologize about the same; I have personally discussed this with our Front Office Manager.

Once again, thank you for writing your review; we are always looking for constructive feedback to improve our product and services.

Look forward to see you soon…safe travel.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I won a complimentary night's stay at Hilton South Wharf and decided to use it for a staycation - weekend stay in your own city.

My late check in after the AFL on a Friday night wasn't a problem, however when I drove up to the entrance there was no porter/concierge to take the car, so parked it in the DFO car park across the road (at $28 for the night). And as we approached the hotel entrance, even though we only had overnight bags, no one offered to take them for us. Small touches of service that can make all the difference between a good hotel experience and a great one.

Check in was smooth even though we waited 10mins for the couple in front of us to drunkenly giggle their way through booking a room. Was slightly entertaining but a tad irritating knowing that we'd be swift.

Once at our room, it took a few minutes of hunting and a phone call to guest services to figure out how to open the block out blinds. Once we did, we were enamoured with the view of Melbourne's skyline all lit up.

The room (king delux) was spacious with all the modern amenities you'd expect from a new, big hotel. And the TV was a decent size - hooray!

The bathroom was also spacious, with big bath tub (not quite big enough for two people who are both 6ft+) and shower (big enough for two!), and delicious bath products.

The bed was heavenly. Big, soft, luxurious. There's also a pillow menu so you can choose your preferred comfort/support.

The block out curtains are exceptionally effective! We slept right through til 10am and had to get up in a mad rush to shower for breakfast and get down to the restaurant before it finished at 11am.

Breakfast buffets usually don't float my boat, but everything was presented beautifully. Lots of choice, and if there wasn't something offered you could just order it at no extra charge - omlettes, waffles, eggs Benedict. Yum!

The only thing that lets the hotel down is location. There's nothing really directly next to it (South Wharf DFO not the best shopping in Melbourne) but most things are a short stroll, like Crown and the CBD.

I'll definitely be recommended Hilton South Wharf to out of towners and if the opportunity arises, will be back here myself!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank MissRissMelb
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on the Trip Advisor website- we acknowledge the site is an important tool for future travelers.

I appreciate your observations and comments and can assure you that I will personally share them with my team.

Thanks again for staying with us. Look forward to hosting you again soon.
Nl
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Nice, new hotel. Room and bathroom very tastefull furnished, great bed. Location on waliking distance from the old city centre and part of the new river development, only no swimming pool.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Pan Pacific Melbourne, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very happy to read your comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and service levels of the hotel to your satisfaction. Hope to see you return soon....safe travels.

Hilton Melbourne South Wharf