“A definite fave”

Ranked #53 of 196 Nightlife in Melbourne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My bestie and I were recommended Storyville among others as cocktail bars to try on our recent trip to Melbourne.

We were not disappointed, and will definitely put it on our go-to lists for next time!

The decor and atmosphere were fun and lively, just like being in a fantasy wonderland of our storytime youth - complete with wooden swing.

The cocktails were well-inspired and served beautifully - we would have loved to try them all, however over-intoxication is not attractive.

I'm actually excited for my next trip, if only to get back to Storyville!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Like a lot of other reviews, has potential but just doesn't live up to it. Cocktails as although nice are quite expensive and $9 for a schooner is a little high.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

The decorations and atmosphere here were really beautiful and great, however it was the actual cocktails that let it down. Only having about 7 cocktails and all being quite expensive was a bit of a let down, to add to that, they didnt have any liquid ice to add to the experience for my friends cocktail! It has a lot of potential but needs to be refined a bit more.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Storyville was very high on my Melbourne to do list so I was very disappointed. The place itself has so much potential and looked spectacular. However I felt the cocktails let it down. Not very inventive and I couldn't even finish mine it was disgusting. I thought there would be a lot more thought gone into the decorating and the cocktail itself. Wouldn't reccomend

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 February 2018

This place is fantastic! I celebrated with drinks for my 40th birthday here. At first, it feels like you are climbing up the inside of a tree, when you get to the top, you are really in another world. Giant mushroom lights protrude from the walls, wood slice tables and stools scatter the room around the feature bar which is nestled under a glowing toadstool. We sat in the book room space which was booth style seating next to the windows. In the next corner,
an enormous bird cage, complete with swing and chairs and tables. Its a small place overall and does get very packed quickly. An especially nice touch is the roaming magician, making your experience just that little more unique. It's one thing to decorate a room with a theme, but having the added entertainment of the magician really carried it through. Cocktails are really imaginative and well presented in theme. We tried them all, our favourite was a tie between Mr Pilkington's neighbour (influenced by George Orwells 'Animal Farm') and New York peach (influenced by Roald Dahl James and the Giant Peach) You'll get a kick out of the 'Through the Looking Glass' which serves two and comes out in miniature teapot and teacup setting, complete with steam emanating out the spout of the teacup - a really nice touch. Any Harry Potter fans in your group?, they will be exhilarated with the addition of 'Polyjuice' and the presentation will have them feeling Hagrid is on his way to meet them.
There is a little outside area for smokers, rather than just being 'further down the alleyway', its a little section cordoned off by carved stone faces - a bit like what you would expect from the Labyrinth movie with David Bowie.
If you are looking for something a bit different for an evening of drinks, I would highly recommend Storyville, I can't imagine anyone not being impressed.