“Spirit of Melbourne Dinner Cruise”

Melbourne River Cruises
Spirit of Melbourne Dinner Cruise
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Spirit of Melbourne Dinner Cruise”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

After reading other reviews, wasn't expecting too much. Had a wonderful dinner cruise on Saturday night. Took a special friend out for his birthday. Meals were OK. Only thing would have liked to maybe go a bit further up the Yarra but the high tide put a stop to that. Just enjoyed the moment and enjoyed the experience.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank redscorpio17

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great way to see a different side of Melbourne”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We did both the A and B cruise of the Yarra River during the day. It is a great way to see a different side of the city and learn a bit about the history of Melbourne. Very basic seating, tea and coffee facilities, nothing flash but still an enjoyable experience. The guide certainly knows Melbourne we learnt a lot about Melbourne's history.

Visited July 2012
Kwinana, Australia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“yarra”
Reviewed 13 July 2012

could only do half due to tides but relaxing way to see everything from mcg to aami to everything melbourne has to offer is perfect to view from boat

Melbourne
“Great Time”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I think some people (below) need to climb down off there high horse!!!!! We had a great time, food and service was fantastic.

Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Prepare to be dissapointed - spend your money elsewhere”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Last Saturday 16th June my wife Lynette and I were on board for the dinner cruise which was booked as a birthday celebration for me. It is more than fair to say I found the night extremely dissapointing on the back of a very poor main meal experience. I had pre ordered the eye fillet and on the night was quite excited to see others being served only to be told by the waiter after all the main meals had been brought out that my steak had been dropped on the floor and I could have either the chicken or fish. I did not order nor wanted to eat either. I asked why there was not an extra steak it was explained there was only the ordered amount on board, I also asked about the pork rib eye only to be told the same thing. So why extra chicken & fish ???? I suspect due to them being less expensive.

I reluctantly settled for the chicken. What a masterpiece - it was dry, cold and smothered in so much Tandoori spice it was inedible, the surrounding vegetables were also miserably cold and soggy. I had two mouthfuls before pushing the meal aside. On looking at the listed menu this morning it is clear that the chicken dish I was presented with was cobbled together from various bits and nothing like what it should have been. Interestingy also despite what is listed on the menu there were no liqueur's offered with tea or coffee.

I travel extensively and dine in many restaurants, my daughter is a chef de partie in a Melbourne hatted restaurant - I well understand good food and service and appropriate values. The $130 per head fee is way overpriced for the experience. The ambience was terrible and it was very clear that they are charging premium rate for a budget effort. For the same money I could have had a cracking meal in Rockpool a few steps down the wharf.

The real crux of this is that if the same thing happened in a normal restaurant I would have left and gone elsewhere - being captive I couldn't do this on a boat. Thankfully there are many forums which I can warn others to be prepared to be let down by this dining cruise.

17 Thank prw05