“A fantastic looking bridge”
Review of Tasman Bridge

and up
Small-group Shore Excursion from Hobart to Mt. Wellington and Tahune AirWalk
Ranked #17 of 146 things to do in Hobart
Reviewed 1 October 2017

A magnificent bridge that spans the Derwent River. A little bit confusing in sections where the lanes suddenly change and have red lights. Guess you have to be a Tasmanian to know what to do. Great views over Hobart.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

The new Tasman Bridge is approximately 1.4klms long, 60 metres high and 5 traffic lanes wide and spans the Derwent River providing access to and from the city from the airport and the eastern shore suburbs. It was opened in 1977. It is visible from large areas of Hobart.

It replaced the old Tasman Bridge that was built in 1964 but sections of which collapsed in 1975 when a cargo ship, the Lake Illawarra, collided with one of the piers causing the tragic loss of 12 lives.

I think of this event, and relive the photographs of cars hanging on the precipice of the collapsed section of the bridge roadway, every time we cross over it.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I am not sure how to rate this experience honestly. There isn't much to it. At least with what we did. We drove up to the viewing area where the pictures are mostly taken and we were able to get a good view of it. It is nice and breezy up here. The architecture is cool and I believe it has some historical significance but it wasn't all that for me. I am not too picky but it is just a bridge. I guess it could have been better if we were with a tour and they explained things about it a little more maybe. Overall, like I said the landscape is nice.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

The bridge itself is a site to behold and leads you into the wonders of Hobart. The left hand lane will lead you into the city and Salamanca Market. In addition, the views as you pass over are a thrill in itself.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

The Tasman Bridge is a beautiful bridge close to Hobart. I took the opportunity to take some night photos of the bridge. Although, it's certainly not the Sydney Harbor Bridge,