Book In Advance

from USD 177.90
from USD 98.00
from USD 78.40
More Info
All reviews speed cameras tragic history derwent river lit up at night traffic flow eastern shore both sides from afar hobart airport mona ferry botanic gardens port arthur ship collapsed illawarra motorists engineering
Reviewed 10 September 2017

The new Tasman Bridge is approximately 1.4klms long, 60 metres high and 5 traffic lanes wide and spans the Derwent River providing access to and from the city from the airport and the eastern shore suburbs. It was opened in 1977. It is visible from large areas of Hobart.

It replaced the old Tasman Bridge that was built in 1964 but sections of which collapsed in 1975 when a cargo ship, the Lake Illawarra, collided with one of the piers causing the tragic loss of 12 lives.

I think of this event, and relive the photographs of cars hanging on the precipice of the collapsed section of the bridge roadway, every time we cross over it.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I am not sure how to rate this experience honestly. There isn't much to it. At least with what we did. We drove up to the viewing area where the pictures are mostly taken and we were able to get a good view of it. It is nice and breezy up here. The architecture is cool and I believe it has some historical significance but it wasn't all that for me. I am not too picky but it is just a bridge. I guess it could have been better if we were with a tour and they explained things about it a little more maybe. Overall, like I said the landscape is nice.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

The bridge itself is a site to behold and leads you into the wonders of Hobart. The left hand lane will lead you into the city and Salamanca Market. In addition, the views as you pass over are a thrill in itself.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

The Tasman Bridge is a beautiful bridge close to Hobart. I took the opportunity to take some night photos of the bridge. Although, it's certainly not the Sydney Harbor Bridge,

Reviewed 30 August 2017

The iconic bridge that joins the east and western shores of Hobart. Is absolutely stunning at sunset with views of the mountain in the background. You can walk or drive over and enjoy the views